Ribs and Chicken w/uds-wsm mod

Cliff H.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Won't be doing that again. The heat sink made the uds hold temps good. It held temps good without the heat sink though.

I overfilled a wsm ring with lump. That would have been enough for a 12 hour burn on a uds. It held temps for eight hours and then started giving me trouble. Temps fell to around 200 and I could not get it back up.

The experiment is over and so is that mod.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=n2s65cx.7ijrhvwx&Uy=-i21ljc&Ux=0

Those ribs look mighty tasty! I definitely have to cook some ribs for Sunday now. Chicken looked really good too. :-D

Cliff, Spatchcocked chicks and ribs on a uds is exactly what I'm doing for the inlaws this weekend. Thanks for posting the pics brother!

Lump in the drum is a little tricky sometimes, you have to shake the ashes down. I have a rod that has a hook on the end I loop over the handles of the grate that hold my basket and just give it a couple pulls on each side and that does the trick! Temps should come right back up. Try mixing some briq with the lump next time.

swamprbLump in the drum is a little tricky sometimes, you have to shake the ashes down. I have a rod that has a hook on the end I loop over the handles of the grate that hold my basket and just give it a couple pulls on each side and that does the trick! Temps should come right back up. Try mixing some briq with the lump next time. Yesterday 11:17 PM

OK - I used briq last week, and had trouble getting the heat past 210 -- I've heard that lump burns hotter, so do I use lump or briq in my UDS? I'm doing a butt tomorrow (2 am), chicken (3 pm) and ribs (10 am) tomorrow. Am I better off with the lump, and if so, how lopng can I expect it to burn. My box will hold 12-15 lbs.

Great looking ribs and yard bird. :cool: This is what I like about Quing...trying something and learning from it. You almost allways get to eat the results:lol:

swamprbLump in the drum is a little tricky sometimes, you have to shake the ashes down. I have a rod that has a hook on the end I loop over the handles of the grate that hold my basket and just give it a couple pulls on each side and that does the trick! Temps should come right back up. Try mixing some briq with the lump next time. Yesterday 11:17 PM

OK - I used briq last week, and had trouble getting the heat past 210 -- I've heard that lump burns hotter, so do I use lump or briq in my UDS? I'm doing a butt tomorrow (2 am), chicken (3 pm) and ribs (10 am) tomorrow. Am I better off with the lump, and if so, how lopng can I expect it to burn. My box will hold 12-15 lbs.

Good lump usually means less ass than briquettes

I mix about half and half of briqs and lump and runs great. Just my $.02.

Won't be doing that again. The heat sink made the uds hold temps good. It held temps good without the heat sink though.

I overfilled a wsm ring with lump. That would have been enough for a 12 hour burn on a uds. It held temps for eight hours and then started giving me trouble. Temps fell to around 200 and I could not get it back up.

The experiment is over and so is that mod.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=n2s65cx.7ijrhvwx&Uy=-i21ljc&Ux=0

Cliff,
I'm just curious as to why you are trying to get a longer burn if you can get 12 hours now? Is there something you cook that takes that long? I to can get 12-14 hour burns in my drum but the only time I've needed it is when I do more than one load of meat on the same batch of coals. Everything cooks faster in the drum, I did two 15lb shoulders in mine in less than 8hrs @275.

Also, when the temp dropped to 200 and would not come back up, was this caused by the sink?

Ribs looked damn good btw!!!

Kurt

I haven't noticed the " turbo " effect while cooking briskets. I hope I will notice a difference when I get to smoke a butt.

I reasoned that fat dripping in the fire would cause it to not burn as well due to the fire being rained on with fat for most of the cook. The heat sink works well in my wsm so I figgured it would IMPOVE the fuel efficiency in the uds.

I began the cook knowing it would take 4-6 hours for the ribs and 3-4 hours for the birds. I started with a mounded and packed wsm ring of lump with three big hickory chunks on top. That is plenty enough to burn for over 12 hours.

I expected to have almost a 1/2 ring of unlit and some chunks that weren't burned up when I got finished with the 8 hour cook.

Ater everything went south on me, I moved the chickens to the oven to finish and shut the vents down.

Check out the pics I took just a few minutes ago.

I have never used the charcoal pan under the fire grate like that before. That is the only thing that I might would do different. Maybe drilling some holes for air to get under the fire grate would be better.

From the pics you can see that there really wasn't that much fat that made it in the folied pan. You can also see why I like lump cuz there ain't much ash left. There is only enough unlit lump to cover the bottom of the fire grate. The full + ring was almost totally spent.

I am of the mind that to much energy went to heating the barrel and clay dish than went to cooking. I also can't rule out that the heat sink may have blocked whatever convection or heat flow normaly happens in a non-modified uds.

The only other thing that came into play was 32 deg outside temps.

Back