Shelf Life of Store Bought Rubs?

Most spice reference books, including spice bible and complete book of spices say a year. But, this is said because it used to be that most herbs and spices are harvested once a year. This isn't always true with modern shipping methods. A year is the general rule of thumb though.

Just remembered. While in culinary school during a presentation by a McCormick rep he made the most profound statement. He said that once peppercorns (black, white, red or long) are ground it takes just 90 minutes before the essential oils start to breakdown.

Smell em. Taste em. There are lots of variables involved. If they still have a fragrant aroma and full flavor then they will be just fine. If you want, throw a few slices of carrot or something in a pan with a little oil and the spice/herb and find out.

If I sold herbs and spices, there is nothing that I would love more than to have you chuck your spice cabinet every 6 months and come see me for more.

You can hit them up with a spice grinder and get back some flavor. We keep our chili powders and spices in the freezer and they normally are ok for a few months.

I have some Reno Reds Brisket Rub from the mid 90's that my father used for competitions. He gave me a container of it and I thought why not try it. I've used almost all of it and it has tasted great. I'm sure the flavors are not as strong as 20 years ago but the rub is still yummy. BTW, the spices were kept in a cool dry spot for the long haul.

Back