The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Got wood... but is it oak? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90909)

caliking 08-22-2010 08:57 PM

Got wood... but is it oak?

Howdy Brethren.

So here's the story: for my latest project (soon to be unveiled), I need lots of oak firewood. Snooped around craigslist, and found a guy giving some away. He cut down a few trees on an empty lot he owns. Said I could go by and pick up whatever I wanted.

So I went over and picked over the lot. Mostly pine trees, but I found one felled tree, cut up into logs, in the back.

The million dollar question: is it oak?:confused:

It doesn't smell like pine, but I have a cold, so sense of smell is a tad off. I sure hope its oak, because now I have an SUV full of it :eusa_clap

Kevin 08-22-2010 09:01 PM

A picture of a leaf would help here.

txschutte 08-22-2010 09:03 PM

Any pic will do. Leaf, bark, grain, end grain....

ClayHill 08-22-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 1377672)
A picture of a leaf would help here.

agree...

a picture bark would also be helpful if leaves are gone

bluetang 08-22-2010 09:06 PM

What does the bark look like? Oak and pine bark look different. Pine has a smell, resinous, does it? If not sure, wait until your cold clears and cut some up. Oak will never smell like pine.

caliking 08-22-2010 09:38 PM

A thousand apologies... this cold has messed my head up. Forgot to post the pic :doh:

The branches with leaves were all piled up on one side further away, so I didn't get a look or pic.

Thanks.

bluetang 08-22-2010 09:41 PM

I'm rolling with oak.

BobBrisket 08-22-2010 09:48 PM

That's oak! I love oak.

Bob

Groundhog66 08-22-2010 09:49 PM

Looks like oak to me, but a leaf will tell the whole story.

Dave Russell 08-22-2010 09:54 PM

yep, oak, and I'm thinking probably a red oak.

Crazy Harry 08-22-2010 10:22 PM

that's not pine

caliking 08-22-2010 10:48 PM

Awesome! If its oak, then I'm officially labelling this my CL score of the month. :-D

Is red oak better than white? Seems like sellers of firewood around these parts have been advertising red oak, but have not seen much mention of white oak.

How long do folks typically season their oak? I don't know how long this wood was baking in the sun after the tree was cut, but I can find out. I split one log to see what I could do with an axe, and it seemed pretty dry.

My second mission of the day was to stop by another fellow who had to trim the top of one of his oak trees because it was dying or something. No price like "free", so I grabbed a few armfuls of smaller branches and such from him for kindling. Does it matter if the branches were dead/dying? I figured they should burn up ok.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Smoothsmoke 08-22-2010 10:52 PM

Sounds like a huge score! Touchdown!

PigTamer 08-22-2010 10:56 PM

I am sure it is OAk...not much diff in whie or red...same family same properties. DEFINITLY oak

JazzyBadger 08-23-2010 01:33 AM

Yeah if anything I've ever seen the wood in white oak seems.. pulpier.. or lighter.. just a LITTLE bit different, but in all honesty I can't tell heads or tails if the smoke tastes any different, cold or not.