The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Information on DOing a COmp (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17011)

bruno 04-06-2006 10:19 PM

Information on DOing a COmp

I just thought I would ask a few questions of you guys, but first some background.

My MIL is the Sect/Treas of an organization that is refurbishing an old building in WESTERN, KS. They are always looking for ways to raise money, so me, being....smart(?) thought that a BBQ comp may be something they could do.

I have looked on the KCBS site and saw the information they have on cetifying a comp and some of the reccomendations they have for making it successful, but I would like more information.

I appreciate any knowledge you can share.

Thanks.

jminion 04-06-2006 11:48 PM

I organize competitions, sit on the KCBS board and I'm the chairman of the sanctioning committe what would you like to know. Call if you like.
Jim
888-527-7661

ThomEmery 04-07-2006 08:18 AM

That should work
I am doing one here The Elks lodge will be a great location with RV hook ups

ciret 04-07-2006 09:37 AM

I don't know much about cometition BBQ, but how does the sponsoring org make money hosting a comp? Ancilliary events that the comp drws people too, selling food, or . . .
Just curious.

BrooklynQ 04-07-2006 09:41 AM

We just did it in Brooklyn. One day grilling contest for the sports association. Entry fee was split between the sports association and the prize pool. Any donations/sponsorships above that went to the association.

Yakfishingfool 04-07-2006 06:42 PM

I do a lot of hosting of events, and one key ingredient is good volunteers...and t-shirts, always a big hit. good luck! scott

Yakfishingfool 04-07-2006 06:44 PM

Forgot, if you want a little sponsoring information let me know. The best way is to set up levels of sponsorship and put it on a t-shirt or something similar, maybe in this case an apron. Platinum sponsor, say 2500 bucks get the exclusive center, gold($500) for 3 inch diamter on the upper half of the apron, silvers($300) for 2 inch upper level and bronze($150), 2 inch below the waist. Just thoughs. Scott

bruno 04-07-2006 07:26 PM

I am thinking that a 25 team comp will be just about right for them. Their loccation is very rural, but right on I-70.

I don't know what a reasonable goal is for doing this as a fundraiser, $1000+? If they could raise that , it would be a good event.

I believe community involvement will be good, it is a small community, but several towns within 15-20 miles.

Jeff Hughes 04-07-2006 08:32 PM

Figure out what you need to do to make the event a qualifier for the Jack and Royal...

Get Merle Whitebrook to come rep for you...

Pay out some decent money...

You will do fine. You will probably pull in some Denver teams...

Good Luck--Jeff

Hawgsnheifers 04-07-2006 10:22 PM

Count me in Bruno. A smokin road trip to Grainbin would be a blast. Is there anything better than a motel 6? Your Sister will require at least a 3 star...

bruno 04-07-2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes
Figure out what you need to do to make the event a qualifier for the Jack and Royal...

Get Merle Whitebrook to come rep for you...

Pay out some decent money...

You will do fine. You will probably pull in some Denver teams...

Good Luck--Jeff

What is decent money?

Any ideas how you make it a qualifier?