The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Brisket vending question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164646)

kmax3450 06-30-2013 01:50 PM

Brisket vending question

I'm going to be selling Brisket and pulled pork at a large festival this coming weekend. Setup begins Friday 12 -6 then you can't get back in until 6 the next morning. I'll be smoking 3-4 packers thursday night. Since I've never done this before what is the best way to keep these from drying out. I plan on injecting and I guess leaving them whole then heating in smoker until they get back up to maybe 165

vexter1 07-01-2013 09:35 AM

Here's how we do it (been doing this for over a year now - vending just like you) and it's been working great for us.

We trim and inject each brisket. Rub and put on smoker @ 225*.

Next - when it hits 160* - we foil and add beef broth. Foil tightly, put in a full pan and place back on smoker (this keeps any juices leaking from the foil in the pan for use later..)

Cook to about 192* then keep in a warmer or on a smoker set at about 150* - keep it foiled and whole. Then when you need to pull it out of the warmer - slice/chop (however you want to present it) - then put in a pan, add as much au jus from the foil into the pan and hot hold/serve.

This same method has been working great for us - hope it helps you and someone else :)

kmax3450 07-02-2013 08:13 AM

My problem is Friday between noon and 6pm I have to setup my smokers on site . after 6pm vendors aren't allowed back until 6 am. Saturday and have to be ready to serve by 11:30. I'll plan on cooking 4 to start with Thursday night. When I return Saturday i'll need to reheat those as needed. Then I guess load up the fec120 with a full load of meat. Now @ 10pm the festival is done for the day and vendors aren't allowed back until 8am. Sunday so that means I have to cook for Sunday before I leave take the food home to refrigerate come back and reheat. This seems like a nightmare to me . I'll double foil with broth or some au jus. This festival dreww over 500K last year and the promoters expect the same this year but they don't have as many vendors. I just hope I can keep the beef moist and tender. The Pulled pork I can just pull and half sauce and water then refrigerate over night that usually works.

Bbq Bubba 07-02-2013 06:19 PM

500K and your cooking 4 briskets?

landarc 07-02-2013 06:24 PM

He is in Maryland after all.

The above method sounds good to me, but, I suspect you are going to run out of brisket real fast. I assume you are filling the 120 with pork along with those briskets?

TailGateJoecom 07-02-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2536946)

I thought the same thing.

mikeleonard81 07-02-2013 08:28 PM

How many vendors will there be?

BigBellyBBQ 07-03-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2536946)

I just did an event this past week end with only 2,500 in attendance, 5 other vendors and I went through 7 packers, look at cooking more!

kmax3450 07-03-2013 06:41 AM

No I am cooking 4 maybe 6 briskets at home before I load in at the venue. This should be enough to start with since most people don't come until mid afternoon. I'll be loading the fec120 and my jumbo offset with butts and briskets after I get there Sat. am. I'm buying 4 cases of brisket and 6 cases of pork butts. If I get close to running out I can always go back to restaurant depot or Sam's early Sunday morning. I don't know how many food vendors are attending the event organizers said it would be less than the last year. The part I don't like is they won't allow you to keeps your vehicle onsite because having a refrigerated truck would be a big help. I am limited to what I can keep iced down in 3 150 qt coolers. In addition I am also vending sausages , chicken tenders, and hand cut fries.

Bbq Bubba 07-03-2013 10:28 AM

I would have ALL your big meats pre cooked and just reheat thru the weekend as needed.

WineMaster 07-03-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2537722)
I would have ALL your big meats pre cooked and just reheat thru the weekend as needed.

Its like he knows what he's talking about. But we know better. :biggrin1:

Bbq Bubba 07-03-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineMaster (Post 2537806)
Its like he knows what he's talking about. But we know better. :biggrin1:

I don't really but i did stay at a Holiday Inn last nite.

Pyle's BBQ 07-03-2013 05:34 PM

I've done something close to this before I opened the restaurant. I didn't have the silly requirements he has. But cooking and reheating is the way to go.

As an aside. You wonder why there are fewer food vendors? Crap like this I would walk away.

CharredApron 07-03-2013 10:56 PM

Amen

gotribe28 07-04-2013 02:43 PM

I am asking cause I am doing a big event this weekend, Can I precook then do what leave it whole and wrapped in fridge then take out slice and warm everythiing up? or how would you do brisket like this?