Zoo B Que, Racine, Wisconsin

ciret

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I found out that there will be a KCBS sanctioned contest here in Racine. I've never done a contest, but it sound like fun. I'm not sure I could pull it off on my own, so any brethren interested in putting a team together? Or if there's a team that would accept some help I'm interested.

I wasn't able to find out anything except it's July 28 & 29.

Let me know what you think.

I found some more information at http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=403882 :

Zoo plans barbecue contest, concert
Racine - The Racine Zoo will play host to a professional barbecue competition July 29 called "Zoo B Que," sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

Zoo B Que will open with an event July 28 in which visitors will be able to meet the contestants and the sponsors. More than $13,000 will be awarded to winning teams in the barbecue contest.

The entry fee is $200 a team, plus the cost of electricity, for one entry in the four standard Kansas City Barbeque Society categories: chicken, ribs, pork shoulder or butt and brisket.

Copies of the Kansas City Barbeque Society rules are available on its Web site (www.kcbs.us) or from Zoo B Que.

The event is open to vendors of both food and non-perishable items. Registration fee for vendors is $100.

For information, contact Marsha at Lakeshorestudio@sbcglobal.net, or the Racine Zoo at (262) 636-9273, or skratochvil@racinezoo.org.

ciret said:
I found some more information at http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=403882 :

Zoo plans barbecue contest, concert
Racine - The Racine Zoo will play host to a professional barbecue competition July 29 called "Zoo B Que," sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

Zoo B Que will open with an event July 28 in which visitors will be able to meet the contestants and the sponsors. More than $13,000 will be awarded to winning teams in the barbecue contest.

The entry fee is $200 a team, plus the cost of electricity, for one entry in the four standard Kansas City Barbeque Society categories: chicken, ribs, pork shoulder or butt and brisket.

Copies of the Kansas City Barbeque Society rules are available on its Web site (www.kcbs.us) or from Zoo B Que.

The event is open to vendors of both food and non-perishable items. Registration fee for vendors is $100.

For information, contact Marsha at Lakeshorestudio@sbcglobal.net, or the Racine Zoo at (262) 636-9273, or skratochvil@racinezoo.org.

this one is shaping up to be a good one..from what i heard though there will be a 20 team max and they got about half that now. i would not wait too long to sign up

We are thinking about doing that one. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks for the 20 team info. I'd better sign up quick.

I just sent an e-mail asking for information. Hope I can get in.

Any brethren that want to hang out are more than welcome.

If you guys put a team together, hope to see ya as well.

parrothead said:
I just sent an e-mail asking for information. Hope I can get in.

Any brethren that want to hang out are more than welcome.

If you guys put a team together, hope to see ya as well.
one of the organizers (marsha) helped judge at the rib/chicken comp in Des Plaines a couple weeks ago and that was the info she relayed to me..the payouts on this one are pretty large

FYI -just got word that they have 13 entries so far and that this is going to be a state championship as well

I just sent my entry in yesterday. Thats great its going to be a state championship. I was going to call and see if there was a chance that it would be. Since losing my job i have very limited funds, and think this will be my only comp this year. Hopefully i can get my pit done and get some catering gigs to change that!!

dswfondy

Branson's BBQ

hopefully my source is accurate on it being a state championship now..im sure the organizers can verify if you ask

billm said:
hopefully my source is accurate on it being a state championship now..im sure the organizers can verify if you ask

It is. It says so in the KCBS Bullsheet.

well then im glad to know my source was reliable..I havent got the last couple bullsheets cuz i never renewed my kcbs membership this year:)

i called yesterday and there was 15 teams signed up, just thought i'd give a heads up!!

Dswfondy

Dace

Branson's BBQ

wow..filling up fast considering it isnt until end of July!

So, how many Brethren teams are going to be at this one? I've never even been to a competion before, but it sounds like fun. I'd be more than happy to help out any bro's that need a hand.

ciret said:
So, how many Brethren teams are going to be at this one? I've never even been to a competion before, but it sounds like fun. I'd be more than happy to help out any bro's that need a hand.

we wont need any help but stop on by and say hi anyway..Im sure we will ahve somehting good cooking on Friday..saturday is not a good day to visit though

Still waiting to hear if I am in or not. Everything should have made it there by now. Guess I will just have to keep watching the mail.I asked the lady to e-mail me when she got it, but nothing yet.

i havent heard anything either but thats normal for most comps..at least the ones ive entered..they usually send an info packet out as the date gets closer

And if I am in, anyone is welcome to come and hang out.

More than welcome to come around on Saturday also. Especially at clean up time.

parrothead said:
And if I am in, anyone is welcome to come and hang out.

More than welcome to come around on Saturday also. Especially at clean up time.

Yep! The more the merrier, immediately after the awards ceremony! :-D

Back