• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flap Steak and Tamales

beercuer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Flap meat is arguably the ideal choice of cut for carne asada. And oh, what a precious treat it is for me!-- literally mouthwatering deeliciousness bite after bite. First I would like to introduce a most savory rub, one of which I am quite fond and highly recommend from Chef Merito:

merito_best_zps609c69e7.jpg

I should point out at this point that this post is actually a combination of three meals that I prepared this week, to better illustrate with the prons what I produced and hoped to produce.

I find it is a good thing to let the meat marinate after applying the rub. For that extra "Je ne sais quoi" I like to include the juice of an orange and minced garlic. (Lucky me has homegrown citrus trees in my backyard). Here is what that marinade looks like:

asada022513_marinated_zps542cb553.jpg

Okay, I prefer to cook my carne asada a bit more slowly, over indirect heat. I toss on a chunk o' lump mesquite over the hardwood charcoals and let all the flavors settle in.

asada022513_mesquitefire_zps4b1e50f7.jpg

Here's how today's process went from start to finish:

asada030213_start_zps17c11305.jpg

asada030213_grilled_zps5f2ae57e.jpg

Here is how a plated pic came out on one I did a few days ago-- not quite revealing enough.

asada022513_plated2_zps1df14018.jpg

And here is tonight's plated pic, served topped with plenty of salsa, with spinach and Hass avocado on the side.

asada030213_plated_zps65631f1f.jpg

Actually, I wanted to present a more traditional culinary lineup for this carne asada by including some homemade Mexican rice and refried black beans. Regrettably I didn't quite get that far, so I resort to my tamale dinner. Here is how that went:

tamale_start_zps10cc4aca.jpg

tamale_rice_plated_zps9111a3aa.jpg

Asada looks yummee. We're the tamales homemade or storebought???

Nice. I smoked some flap meat with some ribs last weekend. I vacuum sealed the smoked flap meat to used to cook into beans and soups.

It is great to see people use all the meat.

CD

Nice. I smoked some flap meat with some ribs last weekend. I vacuum sealed the smoked flap meat to used to cook into beans and soups.

It is great to see people use all the meat.

CD

Splendid idea indeed, Caseydog. I find that carne asada, when cut up into shreds also make for out-of-this-world tacos!--just hit the meat up hard with the habanero sauce. Works for hard or soft tacos.

asadasofttacos_plated_zps95f9b36a.jpg

asadahardtacos_plated_zps68a3a68b.jpg

That is tremendous. Twice in one week I am exposed to this dish Carne Asada, I really need to get a grip on this and make it. Thanks for sharing, and your tacos are picture book...:eusa_clap

That is tremendous. Twice in one week I am exposed to this dish Carne Asada, I really need to get a grip on this and make it. Thanks for sharing, and your tacos are picture book...:eusa_clap

Why thank you kindly, Bluesman! And I want to tell you mighty, mighty impressive and fabulous creation on the "I'm stuffed" throwdown. I sure wanted some of that! :grin:

The-wave-emoticon.gif

Beercuer.................make your way to the Throwdown Forum above! A new Food Boss has joined the forum, folks!:grin::thumb:

Some Yellow Jackets, YES! Love em. Full of sting they are.

Bob

Beercuer.................make your way to the Throwdown Forum above! A new Food Boss has joined the forum, folks!:grin::thumb:

Some Yellow Jackets, YES! Love em. Full of sting they are.

Bob

You are most kind, Bob! Phew!-- I don't know. I'm feeling rather humbled by what I've seen so far. ...Though I am kind of tempted to try my hand at some kind of a yellow jacket pizza this week. We chileheads could maybe get into that. :grin:

You are most kind, Bob! Phew!-- I don't know. I'm feeling rather humbled by what I've seen so far. ...Though I am kind of tempted to try my hand at some kind of a yellow jacket pizza this week. We chileheads could maybe get into that. :grin:

Oh yeah!!! You got the skills and the guns...........put em out there. A yellow jacket would put the hurt on em!:becky: The heat too! LOL!

Bob

Back