The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   knives (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152164)

captndan 01-23-2013 09:08 AM

knives

I saw a knife set branded by Cuisinart. Any good?

Friscoag 01-23-2013 09:14 AM

I am also looking for a high quality, possibly custom carving knife. Any advice?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ 01-23-2013 09:49 AM

When choosing knives I belive that budget comes into play. How much do you want to spend. I started off with "cheap" knives bought at discount stoes and progressed into dexter russel,calphalon,rada and now I have added Glestain,Shun and Wushtof one at a time, they are expensive but I consider them kind of a lifetime investment and I treat them a such. I think there is a MAJOR difference in knives and it seems that you need to see what your budget allows for even if you buy one at a time vs. a whole set.

Bludawg 01-23-2013 10:04 AM

Cuisanart makes Kitchen Equipment and brands knives. You want good knives go to a knife maker. Take road trip to Shelbyville Great Smoky Mountain Knife works The Kitchen stuff is Down stairs they handle several High end brands at a Good prices.

NeoTrout 01-23-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friscoag (Post 2338855)
I am also looking for a high quality, possibly custom carving knife. Any advice?

Check this out. I was thinking of picking one of these up. :cool:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...27#post2338827

John Bowen 01-23-2013 10:53 AM

I use a Victornox carving and boning knife – for years. A friend turned me on to the Rada knives right before Christmas. They are super sharp and light weight – more importantly very reasonably priced. I am still working with them to decide, but so far I like them. I picked up the Chef’s Knife, the Chef’s dicer and a paring knife.

The Chef’s dicer makes quick work of vegetables and I have never chopped and onion as fast as I have now. The big question is how will they handle after I sharpen them a few times – been using them for over 6 weeks and have not had to sharpen yet.

IMHO you need a good knife but I would start with the Rada before I sank big bucks.

Trumpstylz 01-23-2013 12:46 PM

Yeah, its hard to beat victornox *for the money*.

Seriously, its in the same price range, and I would take Victornox any day over cuisinart.

The Rada's don't look bad plus they're made in the USA, I just don't know how I feel about an aluminum handle.

landarc 01-23-2013 12:57 PM

I have used one of the Cuisinart knives, it was not bad at all. With knives, like many things, you are not going to get bargains generally, you are going to get what you pay for. I liked the Cuisinart, I used, it was clear where it was not as nice as a better knife, the handle was not quite as nice, the steel felt a little rough in the cut, it was a little less lively in the hand. But, it was reasonable for the price.

basuraman 01-23-2013 01:03 PM

My 3 Kiwi knives that I picked up for less than $15 total are doing pretty well.

Arlin_MacRae 01-23-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoTrout (Post 2338909)
Check this out. I was thinking of picking one of these up. :cool:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...27#post2338827

That would be one of the best c-notes you ever spent. Trust me. :)

deguerre 01-23-2013 02:42 PM

My santoku is a Cuisinart and it has served me very well.

Ron_L 01-23-2013 03:17 PM

I have a Cuisinart Santoku that I got for a gift and I love it. Is it a Shun? No. But it's a good every day knife.

Offthehook 01-23-2013 03:28 PM

None of my sub 100$ knives can touch my shuns, and one bob kramer zwilling. With that being said, it's like tools, you get what you pay for and there is always diminishing returns. I'm willing to pay more for things that will last a long time.

Ackman 01-23-2013 03:33 PM

I have a lot of knives and think the Vitorinox are the best value of those I have. I like how they feel and the price is pretty decent I think. I actually have a few Shun knives and have been disappointed, they did not hold an edge and I have not been able to get a good edge on them when I try to sharpen...maybe I just dont know what I am doing -- which when it comes to the knives is entirely possible

Offthehook 01-23-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackman (Post 2339366)
I have a lot of knives and think the Vitorinox are the best value of those I have. I like how they feel and the price is pretty decent I think. I actually have a few Shun knives and have been disappointed, they did not hold an edge and I have not been able to get a good edge on them when I try to sharpen...maybe I just dont know what I am doing -- which when it comes to the knives is entirely possible

Which model shun, and what's your technique to sharpen?