The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does your butt lack flavor with rub? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151869)

bbqwilly 01-19-2013 09:08 PM

Does your butt lack flavor with rub?

I have a marinade I use on my pork butts and the flavor penetrates the whole butt. I marinate it for 2 days before I smoke it.

When I use a rub, I dont get the flavor throughout the whole butt. I rub it down and let it sit over night and the rub liquefies, but it doesnt get the same results of the marinade.

I usually smoke my butts for 6 hours then wrap them till done.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BobM 01-19-2013 09:28 PM

I've never marinaded a pork shoulder/butt. I generally inject them with apple cider and apple cider vinegar, with some of my rub mixed in. I then rub it.

I usually cook shoulders at 250F, an 8 pound shoulder taking about 9 hours.

If I do it right, they come out juicy, tender and smokey, with a clean pork taste, which I really like. I want to taste pork, not added flavors.

Bludawg 01-19-2013 10:53 PM

Salt & smoke 300 deg It don't get no better!

IamMadMan 01-19-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bludawg (Post 2334421)
salt & smoke 300 deg it don't get no better!

how true......

DubfromGA 01-19-2013 11:10 PM

I have zero complaints after using Bad Byron's Butt Rub a numbe of times.

Love the stuff!

JazzyBadger 01-19-2013 11:14 PM

After I pull the pork I just hit it with whatever rub I applied on the outside. Blammo.

jrn 01-20-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzybadger (Post 2334447)
After I pull the pork I just hit it with whatever rub I applied on the outside. Blammo.

Yep. I do that too

silverfinger 01-20-2013 12:37 AM

Cooking one Monday. Any suggestions? I can see everyone has there own way of cooking a butt!!!

TuscaloosaQ 01-20-2013 04:29 AM

Will Nick Saban has a rub it will work for you I believe!!!!!!!! You want me to send you some???? Couldn't help it bro you know how those Bama fans are

frognot 01-20-2013 05:03 AM

i like to slather mine with mustard and apply a generous amount of rub (mostly use rub from Paul Latham's meat market in Jackson, TN). Smoke it at around 300 until internal temp is around 200.

After pulling i usually pour on a li'l Blues Hog Tennessee Red and maybe sprinkle on a li'l more rub.

maktek 01-20-2013 07:04 AM

I just put 2 shoulders on. I rub with a little oil and use amazing ribs Memphis meathead rub. I usually rub it down the night before and then inject with some cider vinegar and rub before I put it on the smoker. Run it between 275 and 300 for 8 hours or so. Almost always turns out tender and juicy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

chriscw81 01-20-2013 07:14 AM

I inject mine with some apple juice and a little rub and its scrumplicious!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Freddy j 01-20-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqwilly (Post 2334308)
When I use a rub, I dont get the flavor throughout the whole butt. I rub it down and let it sit over night and the rub liquefies, but it doesnt get the same results of the marinade.

Yeah, rub makes for some tasty bark, but i can't see how it could penetrate like marinade or injection can. I'm interested to hear more about your marinade though; never marinaded a butt before, but I'd like to try one.

bo_gator 01-20-2013 07:41 AM

I brine mine in water, salt, molasses, whole black peppercorns, Sriracha and what ever rub I am going to use on the outside for at least 24 hours.

When I take it out of the brine, I let it air dry for an hour or so. Then I rub it very liberally, and onto a 225-250* F WSM for a few hours with Hickory smoke.

After it is pulled/chopped I sprinkle a little of the rub on the "inside meat" and eat the &%*# out of it.

Lately, I have been using Smokin Guns' Sweet Heat rub and am really growing fond of it.

boogiesnap 01-20-2013 07:47 AM

unless you're curing, i don't think a marinade really penetrates that deeply into a large hunk of meat. further than a rub, yes, but not all through. that's why i inject.