• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Corned Beef?

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
If you take a corned beef out of the package and smoke it (No additional seasonings), by definition would that be considered Smoked Corned Beef, or Pastrami?

Anyone ever tried burn't ends out of Corned Beef Point?

Damn, no wonder I'm getting fat...spend every evening either looking at food, discussing food, or pondering food.:tsk:

Well, first I would suggest a soak in water for several hours to a day to reduce the salt content. If you don't, it will come out salty, trust me :tsk: Now, I guess you are correct that it would just be smoked corned beef unless there is some fancy name I am unaware of. The beauty of pastrami is the peppery rub along with the smoke. bigabyte and others have made burnt pastrami ends but I don't know if anyone ever did it with just plain corned beef.

Rub it and smoke it and you have Pastrami! Go heavy on the pepper and coriander
I like to smoke to 160 (ish). Then refrigerate under a few foiled bricks to compress for 24 hours then steam to 195 or so. Store bought, corned beef I run through 3 rinse cycles at 2 hr interval to change water

Technically, without the pastrami rub, it is just smoked corned beef. I know, it seems stupid, but it's true. Also, some would say the brine for a pastrami is a slight bit different, but in my book it's the rub that makes the difference. So...there you go, clear as mud.:thumb:

Technically, without the pastrami rub, it is just smoked corned beef. I know, it seems stupid, but it's true. Also, some would say the brine for a pastrami is a slight bit different, but in my book it's the rub that makes the difference. So...there you go, clear as mud.:thumb:

You know what's interesting...I don't think I've seen anyone describe a cook with just a smoked corn beef (Without the pastrami rub). I'm gonna have to test it out.

You know what's interesting...I don't think I've seen anyone describe a cook with just a smoked corn beef (Without the pastrami rub). I'm gonna have to test it out.

Not sure why you even ask, your going to do it anyways! :thumb:

Many threads on smoked corned beef but you HAVE to soak out some of the salt for it will be a smoked salt lick.

Many threads on smoked corned beef but you HAVE to soak out some of the salt for it will be a smoked salt lick.

Please post the links to all of the threads on smoked corned beef. I found lots of threads labeled smoked corned beef that were actually about turning corned beef into pastrami. That is if you believe smoked corned beef is not pastrami unless it is seasoned like pastrami.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Here's a thought. A smoked corned beef with a very thick black bark (Like on the briskets that you make).

Something just sounds wrong with that idea.:tsk:

I make a beef product I call "Skirdunkle".
I buy corned beef from the store.
I rinse it well.
I coat it with black pepper and coriander.
Then, I smoke it till it is 160 ish.
It is then wrapped in HD foil with water to finish cooking and steaming.
At about 190-200 ish, I cool it and then place it in the refrig overnight to firm up.
Then it is sliced deli thin and served between slices of rye bread.

Everyone loves it.
I am often told it is the best pastrami they have ever eaten.
I do correct them by explaining that it is Skirdunkle, not pastrami.
A couple of folks would spend a lot of time telling me it is not pastrami, so I call it what I want. :wink:

Great Eats!!!!!!!!!

TIM

pastrami refers to any number of techniques, all stemming from Eastern Europe for preserving meats. It has nothing to do with the rub. Nor, in fact, does it have to do with beef necessarily, with duck and goose actually being very traditional in some cultures. Smoke is also not necessarily a part of making pastrami. The pastrami we most commonly know is a result of American evolution of a European technique where in meat is salted, spiced and stored in barrels or crates and allowed to sit in the resulting brine. It is, in fact, identical in process to corning of beef that we now practice. Which is also quite different from the traditional methods.

If you take a corned beef and smoke it, rub or no rub, you have either smoked corned beef, or smoked pastrami, call it what you will. Folks from Montreal call if 'smoked beef'.

If you take a corned beef out of the package and smoke it (No additional seasonings), by definition would that be considered Smoked Corned Beef, or Pastrami?

Anyone ever tried burn't ends out of Corned Beef Point?

Damn, no wonder I'm getting fat...spend every evening either looking at food, discussing food, or pondering food.:tsk:

You could call it a "fresh out of the bag, unsoaked, smoked corn beef with no additional seasonings!" or a "fresh out of the bag, unsoaked, smoked pastrami with additional seasonings!" In the end, whichever makes you happy is good with us.

Here's a thought. A smoked corned beef with a very thick black bark (Like on the briskets that you make).

Something just sounds wrong with that idea.:tsk:

Hmm, corned beef with bark. Bubba smoked it like he smokes his briskets and his chuck rolls...........that sounds like some good eats to me! Bubba Bark is a good thing!:thumb:

Last edited:

My wife would love a less fatty corned beef turned into pastrami.
She's a fatophobic. It's amazing she likes me. :laugh:

One of the articles talks about making pastrami out of flat, point, or round.

I definitely know what the flat and the point is from smoking briskets. What cut of meat is the round? Are they talking about top/bottom round?

Back