The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm 51 years old, and still play with my food... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148634)

caseydog 11-28-2012 09:16 PM

I'm 51 years old, and still play with my food...

There is a lot of really, REALLY good cooking advice and information on this forum, which is the main reason I re-up every year (no, it is not because of the Woodpile).

But, I have observed two separate schools of thought in the BBQ universe. One is "the way it is supposed to be done." The other is, "the way I do it."

As much as I admire the traditional BBQ methods, I also get a wild hair, or a few too many drinks, or just an idea I have to try, for better or worse.

So, my question for the brethren is how closely do you obey the classic BBQ rules, and how willing are you to toss the rules out and try something way out there in the search for a new good food.

I ask this because I wonder what the balance is between adhering to tradition, and creating something new and different. Is BBQ a living, evolving creature?

I have my own opinion, but would like to hear what the brethren think.

CD

BBQ Bandit 11-28-2012 09:21 PM

Have respected the old traditional ways... that's how I found this place.

However - also appreciated the aspects of new techniques, too.

Sub-80 11-28-2012 09:22 PM

Today's traditional methods were born from yesterday's experimentations...

Keep trying new things here and there...you never know what you'll discover.

Crazy Harry 11-28-2012 09:25 PM

If everyone just used the old way, we would be still be cooking our food on a stick over an open fire.

SPRfree 11-28-2012 09:31 PM

I don't know enough to know if the methods I'm using are traditional or experimental. I typically search this site when looking to prepare a meal.

I tend to like to keep things simple...recipes with 20 ingredients or 20 steps get passed over for better or worse.

If I like it I do it again if I really like it I'll do it twice.

Gore 11-28-2012 09:33 PM

... rules? :shock:

Fark, there are rules. I seem to recall Biggie pointing those out to me. :doh:

tish 11-28-2012 09:40 PM

I start with the traditional, but am always willing to try something new.

Dallas Dan 11-28-2012 09:44 PM

I'm always tweaking my cooks in the quest for the holy grail of Q.

tortaboy 11-28-2012 09:46 PM

I still prefer smoking my tri tips to grilling them. :wink:

CarolinaQue 11-28-2012 09:55 PM

I use the traditional methods I have been taught as my base line. I adjust from there depending on many factors such as time available and even fuel sources. I have found that in today's world, one size does not fit all. Back in the day, there was much more time available for traditional methods, and people frankly didn't know any different in my opinion. Every thing evolves to some degree.

Grain Belt 11-28-2012 10:01 PM

As a child of the 70's/80's growing up in the upper midwest, the only piece of BBQ equipment I ever saw was older men with the lid of a weber kettle in one hand and a Canadian Club in the other. I'm not one to argue with older gentleman so I have done the same damn thing for another 20 years. If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Outnumbered 11-28-2012 10:12 PM

220 for as long as you can stand it. Under no circumstances can you use direct heat. At least that's where I was when I joined this crazy place. Now I will never go back to Q under 275, and that's low. Can't imagine not using my UDS.

Without the need to experiment with my food, I'd never have had a smoke meat loaf, an apple pie, or even a pizza. Now I'm not sure I will ever cook one in the over again. This place has completely given me the encouragement to branch out on my cooking a lot.

And I'm with Grain Belt ^^^^ up there. I'm an Iowan, so I grew up believing that ketchup was a spice and food could not have taste. Neither could beer. Of course, if he saw a Weber kettle, he's way better than I am. We had a Charbroil gasser and it got fired up once a month whether it needed to or not.

gtr 11-28-2012 10:17 PM

The vast majority of how I cook could be best described as traditional, or at least an attempt at it. I still feel I need to know the rules better in order to break them, but occasionally I will follow impulse and do something "wrong" just to see what happens. I am still stimulated and challenged by the basics for the most part. Needless to say, this place has played a huge part in my outdoor cooking.

Fiveflat 11-28-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortaboy (Post 2283661)
I still prefer smoking my tri tips to grilling them. :wink:

I'm just the opposite. Something about a good 'ol Santa Maria style Tritip on a Santa Maria or Argentine grill is really hard to beat. I've yet to smoke one because I'm just too scared to mess up one thing I have down on a grill.

MisterChrister 11-28-2012 10:53 PM

I like to try my foods traditional as a springboard, then change things up quite a bit from there. Occasionally, something comes back full circle.