• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Favorite Regional Sauce?

R

Rocco05

Okay bretheren, I know we've got folks on here from all over the country, and then some.

I'm interested to know what is everyones' favorite style of barbecue sauce for pork and chicken? (ie. Memphis style, Kansas City style, Texas style, E. Carolina style, etc.- I know there are many variations, so please don't be offended if I didn't list your regional sauce). I love so many different ones it's hard to narrow it down to one favorite!

The choice of sauce really depends on what you are cooking and for whom.
The bold textured sauce I would use on burnt ends is not the thick sticky sauce
I use on pulled pork or the light sauce I prefer for chicken.

NY / NJ Resident

Pork - Thin Carolina red Sauce

Ribs - Thick Spicy Sweet Sauce

Chicken - Thick Sweet Sauce

Beef - Texas Style or None...Depending on quality

For store bought I like Bull's Eye Memphis style. On Pulled Pork I mix up my own Carolina Red. I've even substituted the Memphis style sauce for the ketchup in one of the Carolina Red recipes. I call it "Sweet Georgia Brown".

Pulled Pork: North Carolina Vinegar Sauce (eastern or Lexington style either one), but not much, just a dab will do ya.

Ribs: No sauce - If you have to sauce them you screwed up the cook (my opinion only YMMV)

Chicken: Carolina Treet. If I can't find that, then No sauce please.

Brisket: KC style sauce or nekid if good brisket.

Up here in the High Sierra we have a butt load of elderberries so I tried something new; a sweet, savory and spicy sauce of elderberries, tomatoes and chipotle peppers. Stewed it real good with vinegar and brown sugar and got a medium thick sauce. Haven't tried it on meats yet but I'm drooling a little right now thinking about a pulled pork sannie with this savory sauce.

From Georgia:

Pulled Pork: North Carolina Vinegar Sauce (eastern or Lexington style either one), but not much, just a dab will do ya. Over-the-counter, I like Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Ribs: No sauce - If you have to sauce them you screwed up the cook IMHO. However, if you've screwed up the cook and need to sauce them, a thin (because dont mask the meat flavor) application of spicy sweet. Blue Hog Original mixed in with something else then thinned a lot works great.

Chicken: Thin, spicy and not terribly sweet.

Brisket: naked, or a thinned KC sauce.

From Georgia:

Pulled Pork: North Carolina Vinegar Sauce (eastern or Lexington style either one), but not much, just a dab will do ya. Over-the-counter, I like Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Ribs: No sauce - If you have to sauce them you screwed up the cook IMHO. However, if you've screwed up the cook and need to sauce them, a thin (because dont mask the meat flavor) application of spicy sweet. Blue Hog Original mixed in with something else then thinned a lot works great.

Chicken: Thin, spicy and not terribly sweet.

Brisket: naked, or a thinned KC sauce.

It looks like we could enjoy some good BBQ together without much dissent. :thumb:

Back