• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Cook on Bandera and New Rub (with Ork pron)

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Doing (P)Ork Butts and St Loius Spares with Plowboys Yardbird ( never used it but Academy Sports had it so I'm trying it) Cut the Butts in half (more like. 60/40) to Cook Faster and Get More Bark. The boneless halves I'm gonna pull at 185*ish and cube and do Pork Burnt Ends. Fixin to fire up Patched Up Bandera.

Last edited:
Looks like you're off to a great start on the Ork butts and ribs my friend :thumb:

I use Plowboy Yardbird on my ribs and pork butt.
I think you will like it.
I didn't know Academy was selling it:-D
I will have to check it out.

Ork is on - went on about 12:00

Before meat went on - top Thermo was reading 300* and bottom 325* -put meat on and 30 minutes later check and top is 275* and bottom is 350* - add water pan on floor of smoke box and within 5 minutes they level out 275*ish

Also had 2 splits on firebox lid and one caught fire LOL - firebox lid is slightly warped too but hey it was FREE Scrap.

I only got 3 racks with this Turd and it only has 4 positions so I'll be making 1 more rack and make put hook holds in roof to hang meat.

Hanging meat??? A thought whose time has come :laugh::laugh:

You took that cooker from Romo-esque to Wilson-esque.

Very nice.

PS. I need to buy an Axe and remember to wear my HOT Gloves- I got no hair on my right hand now.

Just put Ribs on - 2 St Louis Racks fill a Grate. Temps have bounced between 230-275* - most of time 250*ish. Every 45 minutes I add wood- this Cook is expensive as I'm cooking with a Bag of Oak Mini Logs from Academy :shock:- gonna buy a 1/8th cord soon.

Last edited:
Just put Ribs on - 2 St Louis Racks fill a Grate. Temps have bounced between 230-275* - most of time 250*ish. Every 45 minutes I add wood- this Cook is expensive as I'm cooking with a Bag of Mini Logs from Academy :shock:- gonna buy a 1/8th cord soon.

Yes with Bandera you need a cord of wood. Fuel hungry. I use mine only for BIG cooks which is rarely. WSM will run 12 hours with relatively little fuel. I got a mini apple bag from Academy and was shocked when I paid... >30$. The Hickory same size is -12$. Luck with her!

Jsn

It Will NOT be my go to Smoker.........Ole Frank the Drum will always be my Main Squeeze (atleast till I get a highend fancy insulated cabinet smoker like a Humphreys Pint- but don't tell Frank).

Im gonna play with this thing for several cooks and see if I like Stickburning- if'n I do I believe once Muscrat has a new shop I will have him build me a vertical with firebox directly underneath - more efficient so less wood to burn and smaller footprint - something similar to DWFisk's Son's they built. :thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162551

My 1st attempt at what you described above. A taller cabinet would be a plus.

picture.php

When I read Ork pron I was expecting something like
shrek.jpg

But yours looks good too

Back