The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How long can u hold ribs-- (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171627)

Ackman 09-22-2013 07:58 PM

How long can u hold ribs--

Have two packages of cyrovaced pork spare ribs in the fridge for a week--planned to sort through them for upcoming comp. and freeze--didnt get around to it,,,,are they still Ok?

OL' Timer 09-22-2013 11:19 PM

look for the pack date you have 3 weeks from then to use or freeze

pjcd 09-23-2013 08:00 AM

Has anyone ever vacuum sealed cooked ribs, froze them and then served them some months later??? How did they hold up? I've done it that way with pulled pork, and it holds up fine, just boil the pork in the sealed bag, comes out really moist.

The_Kapn 09-23-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjcd (Post 2634387)
Has anyone ever vacuum sealed cooked ribs, froze them and then served them some months later??? How did they hold up? I've done it that way with pulled pork, and it holds up fine, just boil the pork in the sealed bag, comes out really moist.

I do it all the time and it works fine, for us.
Fact is, our supply of cooked is running low so I have 4 slabs of Baby Backs in the freezer to cook up and then freeze into serving size portions.

Good Eats!

TIM

pjcd 09-23-2013 04:39 PM

Well, just finished, vacuumed sealed two racks,,,, I'll let you know this winter.

Pyle's BBQ 09-23-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjcd (Post 2635001)
Well, just finished, vacuumed sealed two racks,,,, I'll let you know this winter.

Make sure the bones don't puncture the bag when you put them away.

OL' Timer 09-29-2013 12:08 PM

We cover the bone ends with double layer of foil when vac packing

Twelvegaugepump 09-29-2013 12:29 PM

Do you guys reheat them in boiling water like you do pulled pork? I am thinking that these would make great Christmas gifts for my employees.

sunrise 09-30-2013 11:05 AM

do it all the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjcd (Post 2634387)

I Food Saver bag all the racks of ribs we cook and dont sell at farmers markets we do. I seal & freeze the whole rack. When I am ready to use them, I thaw them out, wrap in foil, add a little apple juice, some of our sauce and put them in the smoker for about 45 minutes. They come out great, sometimes they are more tender & fall off the bone than usual, but a lot of folks love them that way. Just dont leave in the smoker too long, they wil turn to mush.
Wrorks well for us

gator320 09-30-2013 11:46 AM

I blast freeze then vacuum chamber whole racks for resale and most customers just through them on the grill or place packaged ribs in a pan of water then into the oven to warm them back up. Just like most do with vacuum bagged pulled pork in simmering water to reheat.

luke duke 10-01-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twelvegaugepump (Post 2641232)
Do you guys reheat them in boiling water like you do pulled pork? I am thinking that these would make great Christmas gifts for my employees.

I remove them from the cryo and reheat them in the oven. I don't like the way they turn out when boiled in the bag.