The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Have $3-4K to spend....what to do??? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182186)

ntmeyer 02-21-2014 07:59 PM

Have $3-4K to spend....what to do???

New joiner here, although I've been stalking the forums and threads for a few years it seems. Had a WSM 18.5 until I recently moved back to DFW area and the movers destroyed it. With the tax return, the wife said it's time to buy another!!!

So, here's where I am. I've looked at 4 smokers in tremendous detail:

1. Jambo Backyard Model - ~$1850, no options or shipping required
2. Backwoods Fatboy - ~3400 with options and shipping
3. Superior SS-2 - $3600 with options and shipping
4. WSM 22.5 - ~1000 with options and mods

Main option above is CyberQ guru for those wondering.

My decision is really based on 2-3 issues that most struggle with based on my reading of the forum, but open to some new perspectives for other points of view:

1. Flavor profile of wood vs charcoal with little seasoning (i like central tx style BBQ, so salt and pepper for me usually). My guess is wood is probably the best, but heavy fuel consumption and lots of lost sleep is probably not going to be a good thing in the wife's eyes. Especially since i really like cooking packer briskets and those can take forever...

2. Safety and Cleanup - Wife likes idea of insulated smoker for kiddos, but I'm more worried about cleanup. HATED WATER PAN CLEANUP on WSM 18.5. Seen many a post on WSM clay pot mods, but also seen a lot of posts on grease fires in cabinet styles. Starting looking at Superior GF design as a result since Stumps seemed to have a bigger problem in this space (although this may have been fixed)

3. Ease & Fun - hated lifted off grates on WSM to get into the middle section. Like idea of cabinet style or offset for this reason. all but offset give burn times that rival an oven, so struggling a bit with the fun factor here. Maybe the engineer in me will just really love the cyberQ and I'll forget about the ease of non-offset smoking.

So, with all that said, what are your thoughts? Which one and why? I've also looked at about 30 other smokers and brands, so no really trying to argue Klose vs Jambo as an example, more trying to decide between vertical water vs vertical GF vs insulated offset vs $400 WSM. Can a WSM 22.5 really hold it's own here (assuming the chef is as good on each)? Is there a $3000 taste difference?

SmittyJonz 02-21-2014 09:09 PM

Humphreys Pint and you'll have enough left to buy a Freezer and Stock it. :mrgreen:

http://www.humphreysbbq.squarespace....okers/the-pint

Happy Hapgood 02-21-2014 09:19 PM

I'm curious about option 4. A WSM 22 costs $ 299 max. Those must be some super options. Does it vacuum the house too?

pjtexas1 02-21-2014 09:22 PM

That's a big budget. I just couldn't make myself spend that kind of money on 1 cooker. If you really want to spend it all I would recommend a Shirley Fabrication offset and an Abe's cabinet. That way you can stick burn when you have the time and the kids are not around or use the set it and forget it cabinet when you are busy or the kids are running around. Both of these guys are great to work with, not that the ones you listed are not but these guys will do anything you need. They also can probably save you some money. The WSM can hold it's own and that has been proven over and over. Not trying to change your mind on builders but just thinking of what I would do if it were me and were in your situation. With an offset and a vertical you won't have that feeling that you should have gotten the "other one".

SmittyJonz 02-21-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toast (Post 2813300)
i'm curious about option 4. A wsm 22 costs $ 299 max. Those must be some super options. Does it vacuum the house too?

$399.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182191

Happy Hapgood 02-21-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2813308)
$399.

Thank you. I stand corrected. Where's the other $600? A temp controller? I mean it's a WSM! Not alot of temp control required.

To the OP, not meaning to knock your plan but I would consider how much Q you want to do at a time. Lot's, go Big, Comps, go bigger, Family and Friends go smaller.

16Adams 02-21-2014 09:31 PM

You can buy a lot of toys for your budget. Everything in my signature came in under your budget. Some new, some display model, some Craigslist.

Ceramic, barrel, steel,offset and a gasser. Money remaining.

bwram1 02-21-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast (Post 2813300)
I'm curious about option 4. A WSM 22 costs $ 299 max. Those must be some super options. Does it vacuum the house too?

A 22.5 is $399. And I too was going to inquire as to the $600 in mods.

16Adams 02-21-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwram1 (Post 2813312)
A 22.5 is $399. And I too was going to inquire as to the $600 in mods.

Bbq gun??

SmittyJonz 02-21-2014 09:34 PM

I would buy 2 different kinds. You can get into a nice insulated cabinet around $1200 for smaller ones. I don't have a WSM but have. UDS and a DIY converted propane to charcoal cabinet smoker and door access of the cabinet is NICE. MANY compete. ( and win) BBQ Comps with 2-3 WSMs..........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=181540

pjtexas1 02-21-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2813311)
You can buy a lot of toys for your budget. Everything in my signature came in under your budget. Some new, some display model, some Craigslist.

Ceramic, barrel, steel,offset and a gasser. Money remaining.

Good point! I have a nice offset, big 1/4" vertical, electric, huge charcoal grill, electric insulated cabinet I am converting to charcoal (project) and an Abe's 48" cabinet on order and I think I am still about $1,000 under your $4,000 budget. 16Adams and I have similar shopping habits.

SmittyJonz 02-21-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2813296)
Humphreys Pint and you'll have enough left to buy a Freezer and Stock it. :mrgreen:

http://www.humphreysbbq.squarespace....okers/the-pint

Seriously I would do this. :thumb:

Hawg Father of Seoul 02-21-2014 09:53 PM

R and O Cube or Fatgirl. Better than a Fatboy, cheaper, and you can drive to pick it up.

rookiedad 02-21-2014 10:49 PM

22.5 wsm with a cajun bandit pellet ring for temp control and 100% wood firing. option is always there to go back to charcoal. cajun bandit stacker=no more digging to the bottom rack. cooking on racks in pans=no more messy clean up of smoker. put the cajun bandit door on it just because it looks cool! $1,000 set up=$3,000 for brisket!

SmittyJonz 02-21-2014 10:53 PM

Do you have a boat? if not Id get a 22.5 WSm and a used Boat. :biggrin1: