The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Wedding Food (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75703)

cubs204 01-08-2010 10:38 AM

Wedding Food

In about a year and a half I will be getting married. Right now I am trying to convince the future Mrs. to let me provide the food http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_comm...icon_smile.gif. My plan would be to cook butts pretty much the whole week prior and vaccum pack them to be reheated and such the day of. My question is has anyone done this? Is there anything I should make sure to not overlook? Thanks

Assassins 01-08-2010 11:51 AM

Sorry. But let someone else do the cooking, wife will never forgive you. This is her special day, she will not want to share you with the guest.

cubs204 01-08-2010 01:45 PM

Pols in and I dont think I will do it.

leanza 01-08-2010 03:43 PM

Do a pre-wedding or post wedding feast where you can cook.

platys 01-08-2010 05:57 PM

As a woman-type, definitely have someone else do the cooking. You won't have time. You'll be getting your picture taken and talking to people. You might get to kiss your bride and sit down for about 5 minutes to eat until its time to start picture taking and cake slicing and hugging.

My lovely husband, who I adore, didn't even get the laptop plugged in so we'd have music at the reception. (I don't blame him - I didn't even remember until later myself.)

BBQ Grail 01-08-2010 06:04 PM

You are farking nuts...

First off even planning 18 months in advance is crazy.
Second you don't want to cook at your own wedding
Third it's HER wedding not yours. Do whatever she wants, when she wants it done.

big brother smoke 01-09-2010 12:46 AM

Good Choice not to do your wedding!

pahutchens 01-12-2010 01:22 PM

Unless you need to for econmoic reasons, stay clear of having any other responsibilities on the wedding day.

I've worked with Brides that can't let go as well as grooms that lack involvement.
Had one bride late for her own wedding becuase she couldn't afford to hire helpers (and I won't comment on her friends and family)
The really bad ones end up here http://www.etiquettehell.com/

Reflecting almost a third of the weddings I've celebrated were self catered by the bridal party or their family

Several couples did successful pot lucks and they generally worked out with committed friends wanting to make the day special.
(One the Bride did the brisket and I did the pulled pork)

Stoke&Smoke 01-12-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platys (Post 1138580)
As a woman-type, definitely have someone else do the cooking. You won't have time. You'll be getting your picture taken and talking to people. You might get to kiss your bride and sit down for about 5 minutes to eat until its time to start picture taking and cake slicing and hugging.

My lovely husband, who I adore, didn't even get the laptop plugged in so we'd have music at the reception. (I don't blame him - I didn't even remember until later myself.)

^^^^^^^^
SO TRUE!!

We did our reception in our backyard, but I had almost everything brought in. Thankfully that was the case!

By the time the photographer was done with us, everyone at the wedding party table was finished eating, and most of the food was already eaten:icon_pissed

We had better luck with the music though:wink:

Start your marriage off right and get a caterer! Your wife to be will love you for it!

big brother smoke 01-12-2010 05:55 PM

Just hire Dan ^^^^^

landarc 01-12-2010 06:52 PM

If you get married in Ventura, you can get BBS and Big Mista to do your wedding.

mgwerks 01-12-2010 10:58 PM

Face it pal, it is ALL about the bride. You will have no free will nor decision making that day save one - to show up or not. Choose wisely. Women plan their wedding starting when they are little girls. Men's interest is pretty much limited to "did we get any good stuff for gifts" and "is there still booze".

Relax and enjoy the start of the rest of your life together, and let someone else feed you. Congrats!

pahutchens 01-21-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1142625)
If you get married in Ventura, you can get BBS and Big Mista to do your wedding.

And we have a few ministers in the Bretheren ranks that could officiate as well.

Smokin'Ron 01-21-2010 04:47 PM

I know I'm a noob, but just wanted to comment as I went through the cook my own. too much for a day like that.

I agree with the posts on letting someone else cook on your special day. I also see that you have decided against it, which I am happy to see..

Congrats BTW.

To the question you initially raised. I vacuum pack and freeze a lot of my BBQ and it is as good if not better (everything seems to meld together even more). For Butts, I normally pull, make my sauce and simmer both to my liking and then vacuum hot. I let them rest for a bit to cool and then pop the in the freezer. Everyone who gets them loves them. I do this with Pulled Pork, sliced Brisket and pulled chicken.