The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   26th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest Qualification Criteria (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140574)

lcbateman3 08-03-2012 12:08 PM

26th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest Qualification Criteria

Saw this, thought I would share it....

26th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest Qualification Criteria

A new system has been instituted for qualifying Invitational Teams in 2012-2013. Qualifying criteria must be submitted to the American Royal within 7 business days of the qualifying contest by the contest organizers and each Grand Champion team in order for the team to be invited to participate in the Invitational contest.

The forms and any accompanying information may be emailed ([email protected]), faxed (816-221-8189), or sent standard mail to: Invitational Contest – American Royal World Series of Barbecue® 1701 American Royal Court, Kansas City, MO 64102

QUALIFICATION CRITERIA SUMMARY FOR US TEAMS
Qualifying Period: August 1, 2012-July 31, 2013 - All exceptions must be approved in advance by the American Royal.

Invitations:
Only Grand Champions are invited. No pass downs will be accepted. Invitations will be extended to the qualified team name/head cook combination. Should the team name or head cook change after qualifying, the team MUST enter the American Royal Invitational under the qualifying combination. Should the same head cook have qualified with more than one team, he/she may enter the KC Masterpiece American Royal Invitational Contest only one time.
An invitation will be mailed from the American Royal to the qualifiers upon receipt of the enclosed forms and requested documentation. If an Invitational team would like to also compete in the Open Contest, it is MANDATORY for that team to complete the Open Application ahead of time so a space can be reserved.

Qualifying Contest Criteria:
Contests MUST have at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.
State proclamations will no longer be required. In lieu of a state proclamation, all contests MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests MUST be open to all contestants.
A state with only one contest MUST have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered, and MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests must be open to all contestants.
Contest categories submitted for judging MUST include beef, pork, and poultry to be considered a qualifier. To be considered a “competing team,” for the qualifying contest, teams MUST submit entries for ALL contest categories required to be the Grand Champion or overall winner of that event.
The American Royal reserves the right to request contest results for authentication from contest organizer, to include judging results and total number of teams competing in the event.

Sanctioning Body Criteria:
The sanctioning body must have a physical address.
The sanctioning body must be a registered business within the state of its physical address, whether for-profit or otherwise, and must provide a state certificate of good standing.
The sanctioning body must have printed rules, including disciplinary action for rules violations.
The sanctioning body must be able to provide printed, complete, contest results, including tabulated judging details and number of teams competing.
The sanctioning body must sanction a minimum of ten (10) BBQ competitions in the qualifying period.
The sanctioning body must cooperate with the American Royal for the purpose of certifying contest winners for Invitational Contest qualification.

Automatic Entries Go To:
*Grand Champion of previous year’s American Royal Open Contest
*Grand Champions of previous five (5) year’s American Royal/KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest
*Grand Champion of previous year’s Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue
*Grand Champion of current year’s Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Contest
*Grand Champion of current year’s Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest

For more information, visit: http://www.americanroyal.com/events

dmprantz 08-03-2012 12:25 PM

No more State Proclaimations....wow!

Slamdunkpro 08-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmprantz (Post 2162417)
No more State Proclaimations....wow!

Only 3 meats required now too.

One thing I've emailed and asked for clarification on is who are the approved sanctioning bodies right now? Clearly KCBS and FBA meet the requirements, so do we, but who else? I'd suggest to the AR that they select and publish a list for this year, then reevaluate that list every August so that both competitors and organizers know where they stand up front vs finding out 6 months from now that a sanctioning body didn't get approved.

dmprantz 08-03-2012 12:47 PM

I believe these rules are for 2013, so no need to rush for tomorow. I'd also imagine that sanctioning bodies can be added over the course of the year. Hopefully they'd never remove one.

dmp

sweetracks 08-03-2012 01:11 PM

With date range listed, does that mean that if we win a GC next weekend we won't be invited until the 2013 Royal?

mobow 08-03-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetracks (Post 2162470)
With date range listed, does that mean that if we win a GC next weekend we won't be invited until the 2013 Royal?

yes that is not new. keith

huminie 08-03-2012 01:21 PM

I am glad they got rid of the proclamations. They were silly. I am sure the governors of every state have much better things to do than declare cook-offs "state championships". If the contest is sanctioned and has enough participants to be significant, it qualifies. Makes sense to me.

Jorge 08-03-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 2162432)
Only 3 meats required now too.

I don't think that is new.

Plowboy 08-03-2012 01:25 PM

Good move, ARBBQ!!! Stay classy!

Robert 08-03-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmprantz (Post 2162447)
I believe these rules are for 2013, so no need to rush for tomorow. I'd also imagine that sanctioning bodies can be added over the course of the year. Hopefully they'd never remove one.

dmp

You are misinformed. The new year starts this weekend for qualifying for the 2013 Royal Invitational. The Royal year runs from first weekend of August to last weekend of July. For the Jack, it is September through August, unless they changed after last year. So yes, it would be nice to know for all competitors which sanctioning organizations they intend to include.

Robert

dmprantz 08-03-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 2162664)
You are misinformed.

I don't think I'm misinformed at all. I said that there was no need to do it "tomorow" because people who are competing this weeked were most likely already at their comps when I wrote that. Any one competing in a Sat-Sun competition who would have changed plans based on these rules...cite me an example and I'll reconsider my statement.

dmp

Rich Parker 08-03-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbateman3 (Post 2162389)
State proclamations will no longer be required. In lieu of a state proclamation, all contests MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests MUST be open to all contestants.

Hallelujah!

They would have got me to chick-fil-a for this.

KC_Bobby 08-03-2012 06:04 PM

Wish this was in place for this year :sad:

Coz 08-03-2012 08:07 PM

So the way I read it Sams Club contests are out ?

Sams rules say you must be KCBS member. Some of the contests got in before with proclamations ?

nukenight 08-03-2012 08:41 PM

Remember this change is only for the Royal as of now. My only concern is the definition of an "American Royal approved sanctioning body". What happens if a sanctioning body loses "approval" some during the middle of a qualifying year? I would hate to see someone lose an invitation because of a paperwork snafu or a momentary spat between a sanctioning body and the Royal. The Royal needs to strictly specify that on the first day of their contest year, the approved sanctioning bodies are X, Y, Z, ..., etc. and this list is valid for that whole contest year. On the first day of the next contest year, a new list would come out showing the approved sanctioning bodies. Basically, sanctioning bodies can only be added or deleted from this list at one time during the year.