The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WSM and this STUPID door! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191304)

CUTigerQ 06-14-2014 08:07 PM

WSM and this STUPID door!

Im not real happy with this Weber right now. Ive had problems with the door since day one, that I thought I had fixed tonight. I put a gasket on the door and it didn't leak a drop of smoke. The wife opened the door and the gasket fell off into the fire. Now there is more smoke coming from the door than the vent holes. This is NOT good!

Ive tried everything short of throwing this thing away. Ive tried shaping it, tin foil, now a gasket...nothing helps.

Anyone wanna buy a WSM? :wink::shocked::roll:

Happy Hapgood 06-14-2014 08:15 PM

I don't sweat the small stuff. Heck, is your mid section drum out of round? Have you cooked any BBQ on it? I keep hearing all this talk about my BGE is doing this or my WSM is doing that. How does the food taste coming off that rig?

jbounds286 06-14-2014 08:16 PM

what bout high temp gasket maker on the door?? that shouldn't fall off

CUTigerQ 06-14-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast (Post 2956016)
I don't sweat the small stuff. Heck, is your mid section drum out of round? Have you cooked any BBQ on it? I keep hearing all this talk about my BGE is doing this or my WSM is doing that. How is the food taste coming off that rig?

Well, t isn't a matter of taste of the Q. Mine is always good coming off of it. BUT with that door not sealing, it lets air into the fire chamber which spikes my temp...which means I have to watch it like a hawk. For all of this, Id assume sell the damned thing and buy a stick burner. If Im gonna be babysitting tis rig all night, may as well.

CUTigerQ 06-14-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbounds286 (Post 2956018)
what bout high temp gasket maker on the door?? that shouldn't fall off

Thats what was on there. I bought it from a fireplace store and they use it on wood stoves. I followed the directions to a T and it did work, until the wife opened the door. sigh/

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-14-2014 08:22 PM

Welcome to the joys of comp bbq! In my first one I used some new magnets on the intakes on my uds. Everything was rolling right along, then suddenly they roled over on themselves and pealed off the drum. Phark! I improvised and made some tinfoil balls and stuck them in 2of the intakes and slapped an auber on the open one. Worked like a ghetto charm. For your door maybe try some magnetic tape. I just picked up some from wally world yesterday for about 4 bucks. Hopefully it will work better than my last magnets I tried. I was thinking mabe close the door and stick the magnetic tape on the outside around the door. The tape is about 3 times thicker than the crappy magnets I used.

CUTigerQ 06-14-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er (Post 2956026)
Welcome to the joys of comp bbq! In my first one I used some new magnets on the intakes on my uds. Everything was rolling right along, then suddenly they roled over on themselves and pealed off the drum. Phark! I improvised and made some tinfoil balls and stuck them in 2of the intakes and slapped an auber on the open one. Worked like a ghetto charm. For your door maybe try some magnetic tape. I just picked up some from wally world yesterday for about 4 bucks. Hopefully it will work better than my last magnets I tried. I was thinking mabe close the door and stick the magnetic tape on the outside around the door.

HMMM...wonder if it can stand up to the heat? What about duck tape? Maybe?

jbounds286 06-14-2014 08:25 PM

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=554295_0_0_

this is what I have on my grill....it sure as hell isn't coming off lol..and it resists oils!

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-14-2014 08:28 PM

I've been using a cut up magnetic picture frame for almost 1year and they did fine, I just wanted something pretty for my first comp. By the way black hi temp isn't food safe, the red rtv silicone is, thats what I made my dome lid gasket out of.

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-14-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker (Post 2956030)
HMMM...wonder if it can stand up to the heat? What about duck tape? Maybe?

Foil duct tape might work.

16Adams 06-14-2014 08:37 PM

Sell it, buy a PBC

(I have to sign off now, goodnight)

Harbormaster 06-14-2014 08:43 PM

Well, with all of the complaints about WSM doors of late, I think there is an issue with the latch maybe.

I have the older style WSMs with the round knob. I have had success by modifying the latch assembly with washers so the door fits tighter. My doors all leak, but not to the extent of having temp issues.

You should not need to gasket a WSM door if you get it to fit right.

Best of luck figuring it out.

CUTigerQ 06-14-2014 08:48 PM

Mine is 3 years old and Ive had these problems since day one.

Bob C Cue 06-14-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2956046)
Sell it, buy a PBC

(I have to sign off now, goodnight)

Or build a UDS. Trying to make up for my "Has anyone built a UDS" post.

bigabyte 06-14-2014 09:38 PM

I can't believe it took 14 posts for someone to say "Build a UDS".

But, I say "Build a UDS".