• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trailer smoker build how to

B

BBQ'n The Burbs

Am BBQn almost every weekend for other people "for free". Need to take it to the next level with a trailer smoker. Dont have the cash to buy one. Thinking of an old propane tank and a boat trailer. Any thoughts?

Am BBQn almost every weekend for other people "for free". Need to take it to the next level with a trailer smoker. Dont have the cash to buy one. Thinking of an old propane tank and a boat trailer. Any thoughts?
How much work are you willing and can do on building it? How about finding something already mounted or a project someone has given up on?

Depending on the size, I can tell you now that an old boat trailer isnt going to haul the weight. I am checking on the DOT laws in PA but some states do not require registration on BBQ trailers because they are in themselves not hauling anything. They are one piece. Sort of like a rental cement mixer. They do not haul anything and at most need lights.

I would suggest if you are going to build a smoker, build a sturdy trailer to go with it. Most trailer supply places carry replacement axles so you can build this for the actual weight of the trailer. I can direct you to some steel weight calculators online which will help you estimate your total weight if you cant get the project to a scale. Then over size the axle and build around it. If you dont feel comfortable coming up with your own trailer plans, google for them. I found a few configs I may go with or just make my own. I have another fab shop down the road that works on a ton of trailers who can give me advice. You should be able to find that sort of advice in your town. Good luck, post pics, and if you havent already, go to cattle call and intro yourself.

Smoke trailer

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Have a buddy that has all the equipment and is wanting to help. He built a Radio Fiyer wagon hot-rod out of a 1929 Ford T-Bucket. He's confident we can handle this one.Hadn't thought much about weight v trailer. Kinda important thanks.
Check out the wagon on my site
www.backyardkitchens.net/bbqntheburbs

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Have a buddy that has all the equipment and is wanting to help. He built a Radio Fiyer wagon hot-rod out of a 1929 Ford T-Bucket. He's confident we can handle this one.Hadn't thought much about weight v trailer. Kinda important thanks.
Check out the wagon on my site
www.backyardkitchens.net/bbqntheburbs

:wink: Not a trailer but here is a couple or rigs that I like and would be sure to draw a crowd and if you have good food, they will be back.

Best wishes.

Attachments

• bus1.jpg
    bus1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 942
  • truckbbq5.jpg
    truckbbq5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 907
  • truckbbq4.jpg
    truckbbq4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 905
  • truckbbq1.jpg
    truckbbq1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 904
  • truckbbq3.jpg
    truckbbq3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 916
  • truckbbq2.jpg
    truckbbq2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 933
Yes I do the concrete patios, walks and landscaping as well as the islands

This is exactly what I have done. Been working on the tank for about a month now and just got my boat trailer a week ago. Will probably have pictures soon.

Axle from junk yard my cooker is axle from an Astro Van You should be able to find axle pretty cheap find some 3 or 4 inch channel for your frame buy hitch and jack from flea market for around 50 bucks or less you can put a wood floor in or find some metal

Just a word of caution If you or your friend are not absolutely sure how to cut into a propane tank find someone that is. Then drop it off go home and have him call you when its done.
Dave

Not going to suggest anything but what I did was fill the thing with water and started making my first cuts. Had one minor puff when it drained but nothing serious.

After the doors were cut we started a good fire in it and let it burn for awhile to get rid of the smell.

Where do you guys find the door hinges? I need two sets ASAP.

I bought a single watercraft trailer for mine. If you are patient you can pick them up cheap.

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

The wife works for an oral sergon. Her gas guy gave us all the warnings
and is going to help keep us alive.

No luck yet finding a propane tank.
Any sugestions on what else to use for the barrell?

I'm looking for a watercraft trailer to replace the one my tank sits on.

trailer build update

Found a 120 gal water tank free. many gallons of acid and many hours of grinding. Found a trailer free, frame bent but tongue, axle and hubs good. Found wood burning stove free, cut off excess metal. My buddy donated angle iron for new frame. Bought expanded metal for grates.

Attachments

• DSCF4390.jpg
    DSCF4390.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF4444.jpg
    DSCF4444.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF4352.jpg
    DSCF4352.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Trailer smoker001.jpg
    Trailer smoker001.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 421
Yeah thats how I did it. I looked in Craigslist under oil tanks and found an unfinished smoker, a cheap trailer and a really cheap woodstove. I'll replace the axle and add more steel to the trailer but I think it will work out in the end. Good luck.
ohiowithjennaandkyleandrandoms215.jpg

ohiowithjennaandkyleandrandoms210.jpg

When I built the smoker I have now I lived near the water so I went to a ship yard and bought a piece of 24" pipe for scrap cost. One other thing you can try is to locate a company that services air compressors usually their yards are full of compressor units the removed. They might be motivated to make a donation if they were influenced by the right amount of ribs (this worked for me before) or brisket. When I built the smoker trailer I have now, I made a deal to cater a party for 30 people in exchange for a travel trailer. I got the trailer completely torn down only the floor with the stove the sink, hot water heater, pump and reservoir. all because I posted an add on craigslist.com it worked out for oth of us. I just made our maiden voyage to pork in the park. we didn't win but we sure weren't last.

Back