Chorizo Fatty Masa Sliders w/ Oaxaca Cheese -- Get Down w/ the Ground!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well I barbecued my first fatty tonight: The Chorizo Fatty.

I made my own chorizo from pork butt that I coarsely ground in my LEM #5, using this recipe: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/479103/chorizo

Now, let's Get Down with the Ground!

I started by taking the prepared chorizo and hand rolled it roughly into a log, then started rolling it up in plastic wrap :

2uz9phu.jpg

After rolling up as tightly as I could, I then started twisting each end as many times as I could to form a compressed, almost perfectly formed log :

2vx3j94.jpg

(I learned this trick from Gordon Ramsey's "Beef Wellington" YouTube video. It works great!)

Then I threw the chorizo log back in the fridge to firm up.

So I decided I wanted to do something special with this fatty I was about to make. I've read here on BBQ Brethren that many like putting fatty slices in sliders (and biscuits, etc.). So I went with that!

Since this is hot & spicy Mexican seasoned sausage, I needed to come up with an appropriate slider with a flavor makeup that complements the Chorizo. Now I like to eat chorizo in both flour tortillas (made of white flour) and corn tortillas (made of masa/meseca flour), so I went with a 50/50 mix of white flour & maseca flour -- with a flavor that's a cross between a flour tortilla and corn tortilla:

24x3lhk.jpg

I then rolled out the combined dough on a floured counter top and cut out some little sliders. A tray was greased and in they went :

2lu6y4n.jpg

Baked for about 18 minutes in a 350 F preheated oven and these popped out:

jikua9.jpg

(They weren't that brown on the top after 18 minutes baking at 350F. So I put them under the broiler at 500F for 2 minutes to give them a nice color on top.)

I ate one--it was a first for me--and I was in heaven. The flavors melded very well and the sugar was a nice touch as well. You could really taste that corn tortilla taste in them--different from cornbread by far. Amazing!

So we have the meat and the bread to wrap around it; now for the fillers!

Well what Mexican things go well in a burrito and/or taco? How about some onion, cilantro, tomato and red hot sauce? Oh yeah, and what about some authentic Mexican cheese from the Mexican state of Oaxaca?--pronounced wuh-ha-kuh.

So I made a trip to the local Mexican market, where all the employees and customers were Mexican-American but me--it was awesome! :smile:

I picked up some cilantro..

2m7ueeu.jpg

and some lime..

246v3ba.jpg

(I already had the onion & tomato at home.)

And here's the very cool item I got from there :

elbsaw.jpg

(I bought about a pound of this fine Oaxaca cheese. It melts like Mozarella, and tastes very similar to it.)

A little history :

4rdglv.png

Okay..

Here they are, the colors of Mexico:

24y06r7.jpg

Hey, that Chorizo log is in the fridge nice and cold now. Let's give it a rub!

2l919g1.jpg

and toss it in the Mini WSM! (Pre-heated to 300F w/ Apple Wood Chunks)

2504h1t.jpg

Now we wait, around an hour or so? Until an internal temp of 180F then pull. I let it rest a bit before slicing.

64mste.jpg

Cut the masa sliders in half and broil for a couple minutes. Then top each piece with Oaxaca cheese and throw back in the broiler for about 3 more minutes (until browned on top like a Mozerella cheese pizza). Here they are:

dfbxn8.jpg

WHEW! Now, it's really time to Get Down with the Ground, and eat!

Assemble the lil' guys (from bottom to top): masa slider bottom w/ melted Oaxaca cheese, slice of Chorizo Fatty, slice of onion, slice of tomato, a splash of Tapatio hot sauce (or your favorite), cilantro sprigs, top of masa slider w/ melted Oaxaca cheese.

Serve lime on the side to squeeze on top of the cilantro just before eating. Also reserve a couple of those limes for your cerveza!

And the moment we've been waiting for! :

muh6qg.jpg

Approach..

2upu3w6.jpg

Attack..

2vt8qjo.jpg

and DEVOUR..

kd900g.jpg

Chorizo Fatty Masa Sliders w/ Oaxaca Cheese es muy bien!

Hope the reading was enjoyable, Gracias!

Last edited:
Well I barbecued my first fatty tonight: The Chorizo Fatty.

I made my own chorizo from pork butt that I coarsely ground in my LEM #5, using this recipe: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/479103/chorizo

Now, let's Get Down with the Ground!

I started by taking the prepared chorizo and hand rolled it roughly into a log, then started rolling it up in plastic wrap :

2uz9phu.jpg

After rolling up as tightly as I could, I then started twisting each end as many times as I could to form a compressed, almost perfectly formed log :

2vx3j94.jpg

(I learned this trick from Gordon Ramsey's "Beef Wellington" YouTube video. It works great!)

Then I threw the chorizo log back in the fridge to firm up.

So I decided I wanted to do something special with this fatty I was about to make. I've read here on BBQ Brethren that many like putting fatty slices in sliders (and biscuits, etc.). So I went with that!

Since this is hot & spicy Mexican seasoned sausage, I needed to come up with an appropriate slider with a flavor makeup that complements the Chorizo. Now I like to eat chorizo in both flour tortillas (made of white flour) and corn tortillas (made of masa/meseca flour), so I went with a 50/50 mix of white flour & maseca flour -- with a flavor that's a cross between a flour tortilla and corn tortilla:

24x3lhk.jpg

I then rolled out the combined dough on a floured counter top and cut out some little sliders. A tray was greased and in they went :

2lu6y4n.jpg

Baked for about 18 minutes in a 350 F preheated oven and these popped out:

jikua9.jpg

(They weren't that brown on the top after 18 minutes baking at 350F. So I put them under the broiler at 500F for 2 minutes to give them a nice color on top.)

I ate one--it was a first for me--and I was in heaven. The flavors melded very well and the sugar was a nice touch as well. You could really taste that corn tortilla taste in them--different from cornbread by far. Amazing!

So we have the meat and the bread to wrap around it; now for the fillers!

Well what Mexican things go well in a burrito and/or taco? How about some onion, cilantro, tomato and red hot sauce? Oh yeah, and what about some authentic Mexican cheese from the Mexican state of Oaxaca?--pronounced wuh-ha-kuh.

So I made a trip to the local Mexican market, where all the employees and customers were Mexican-American but me--it was awesome! :smile:

I picked up some cilantro..

2m7ueeu.jpg

and some lime..

246v3ba.jpg

(I already had the onion & tomato at home.)

And here's the very cool item I got from there :

elbsaw.jpg

(I bought about a pound of this fine Oaxaca cheese. It melts like Mozarella, and tastes very similar to it.)

A little history :

4rdglv.png

Okay..

Here they are, the colors of Mexico:

24y06r7.jpg

Hey, that Chorizo log is in the fridge nice and cold now. Let's give it a rub!

2l919g1.jpg

and toss it in the Mini WSM! (Pre-heated to 300F w/ Apple Wood Chunks)

2504h1t.jpg

Now we wait, around an hour or so? Until an internal temp of 180F then pull. I let it rest a bit before slicing.

64mste.jpg

Cut the masa sliders in half and broil for a couple minutes. Then top each piece with Oaxaca cheese and throw back in the broiler for about 3 more minutes (until browned on top like a Mozerella cheese pizza). Here they are:

dfbxn8.jpg

WHEW! Now, it's really time to Get Down with the Ground, and eat!

Assemble the lil' guys (from bottom to top): masa slider bottom w/ melted Oaxaca cheese, slice of Chorizo Fatty, slice of onion, slice of tomato, a splash of Tapatio hot sauce (or your favorite), cilantro sprigs, top of masa slider w/ melted Oaxaca cheese.

Serve lime on the side to squeeze on top of the cilantro just before eating. Also reserve a couple of those limes for your cerveza!

And the moment we've been waiting for! :

muh6qg.jpg

Approach..

2upu3w6.jpg

Attack..

2vt8qjo.jpg

and DEVOUR..

kd900g.jpg

Chorizo Fatty Masa Sliders w/ Oaxaca Cheese es muy bien!

Hope the reading was enjoyable, Gracias!

Looks great, and I love the thoroughness of your post.

Nice pics, GREAT looking food! I've been thinking about making my own chorizo, I can't get my wife to eat the authentic stuff with glands etc. How does the taste and texture compare from what you made to the store bought stuff?

I need a cigarette.....

...and a moment.....

....and one of those sliders.....FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!

Nice pics, GREAT looking food! I've been thinking about making my own chorizo, I can't get my wife to eat the authentic stuff with glands etc. How does the taste and texture compare from what you made to the store bought stuff?

I knew of a Mexican woman that worked with a Mexican butcher, and after seeing what they put in their chorizo at their store, her and her mother started making it homemade with pork butt. I've had both, I'm not big on the glands either. I can see where your wife is coming from :)

From Wikipedia "Chorizo" entry, under the "Mexican Chorizo" section:

"Quality chorizo is made from good cuts of pork stuffed in natural casings, while some of the cheapest commercial styles use variety meats stuffed in inedible plastic casing to resemble sausage links."

So not only is the use of pork butt authentic, it makes for better quality Mexican Chorizo. :smile: It has a much better texture IMO, and holds together better.

The chorizo sausage I make at home tastes much more flavorful than the more bland storebought stuff. Mine's a bit hotter, spicier and more acidic.

Last edited:
Back