The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ Android App Just Released (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148582)

Mexi "Q" Tioner 11-28-2012 10:32 AM

Just dowloaded, thanks again! :thumb:

MarleyMan 11-28-2012 11:51 AM

Papa like! :thumb:

Petro49er 11-28-2012 12:04 PM

Hopefully something like this comes to the iPhone/iPad soon. Looks fantastic!

bmonkman 11-28-2012 12:05 PM

Wow!! This is great. I just downloaded it and opened it. What a nice clean UI. A couple of suggestions:

• add a config option that will allow you to tell your device to not sleep
  • a configurable alert (with a sound file of your choice) that will fire off when the pit temp reaches a certain temperature
  • the above would also be nice for the two food probes
  • ability to change orientation from portrait to landscape
I am looking forward to trying this out on a cook. It looks awesome.

moontz 11-28-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmonkman (Post 2283142)
Wow!! This is great. I just downloaded it and opened it. What a nice clean UI. A couple of suggestions:

• add a config option that will allow you to tell your device to not sleep
  • a configurable alert (with a sound file of your choice) that will fire off when the pit temp reaches a certain temperature
  • the above would also be nice for the two food probes
  • ability to change orientation from portrait to landscape
I am looking forward to trying this out on a cook. It looks awesome.

Hi - thanks for the feedback. Each point addressed below.

- The device will/should still track temps and execute notifications even if your device is asleep. We have tested this a bunch of different ways and has worked fine for us. Let us know if you are seeing differently and it is not notifying properly. We use the same notification engine that google uses for their apps so hoping they accounted for all of the gotchas.

- You can configure the temp alerts currently. You just choose a different notification type. There is a lot of functionality buried that will come up as you play with it. We also have pre configured temp alerts for 3-2-1, 2-2-1, etc so one click setup if u wanted. Regarding the sound, you know we had that functionality where it would give a specific alarm for the pit pal when alerts went off (was a loud dinner bell type sound). But then it just got annoying so we took it out :) So now it is tied direct into whatever notification settings you have on your phone. So it will use whatever sound you have configured, or vibrate, or silent. Whatever ur phones notify settings are set to.

- All of the alarm/notifcation functionality can also be setup for each individual food. You see a clock icon under each temp for cook and food so you can set different individual time or temp alarms per food.

- Landscape will come later if the demand is there. Requires a bit of effort to make it look as nice in landscape so left that out for now.

moontz 11-28-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RW (Post 2282929)
When is it available for Kindle Fire's bastardized Android apps?

I haven't even looked what is involved in putting something on the Amazon app store. I dont have a Kindle so not sure if it will work, but I can send you the .APK file direct if you want to try installing it manually. Shoot me a PM of interested.

moontz 11-28-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by va92bronco (Post 2282951)
Looks like a awesome app. If you every decide to try it on a iphone, I'll be the first to sign up.

Its in the works. Just trying to find some time with the holidays.

ButchB 11-28-2012 02:46 PM

Will it allow you to go back in and make changes once the cook has started? I started a cook earlier kind of just a practice run with the ribs set on 3-2-1. After reading on here that I could change the alerts I wanna go back in and set the alerts for the cook that is in process, but can't get in there.

Smoothsmoke 11-28-2012 02:55 PM

Done, thanks!

palmtreefrb 11-28-2012 03:11 PM

Looks great, nice job!!!

FattyMac 11-28-2012 04:07 PM

Thanks for this!

I haven't had much time to play with it yet but it looks great!

bmonkman 11-28-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moontz (Post 2283247)
The device will/should still track temps and execute notifications even if your device is asleep. We have tested this a bunch of different ways and has worked fine for us. Let us know if you are seeing differently and it is not notifying properly. We use the same notification engine that google uses for their apps so hoping they accounted for all of the gotchas.

Understood, but when you are n the middle of working on getting your boxes ready it would be nice to just look up and see what is going on. Though, I suppose the work around would be to just manually change the device settings so it doesn't go to sleep and then change it back after I am finished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moontz (Post 2283247)
Landscape will come later if the demand is there. Requires a bit of effort to make it look as nice in landscape so left that out for now.

Think tablet - which will be my preferred device to use this app on.

Brian

EX~DY 11-28-2012 05:25 PM

Thank you. Downloaded. Can't wait to try it out!

PatioDaddio 11-28-2012 06:08 PM

Installed! Thanks!

Ideas (I'm a software engineer, so I can't help myself :grin:):
  • Add the ability to manually enter cooker and food temps
    and graph them. You've already got the temp storage
    and graphing code baked in, so it seems like a natural.
  • Add the ability to e-mail a cook report with all the details.
Thanks again,
John

tish 11-28-2012 06:59 PM

Just got my first android this week, and haven't even had a chance to download anything. This app will be my first. Headed to Facebook now to like your page. Thanks! :thumb: