The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Food Network, Why Do I Try? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63820)

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 09:49 PM

Food Network, Why Do I Try?

As some of you know, I have had an ongoing battle with the Food Network. I have created some videos for them that have been the most viewed and most rated on their site, yet ultimately they pick some actor to be on Grill It with Bobby Flay or other show.

Most recently they had a Washington State wine contest from which 20 of the 100 videos would be opened for public voting.

I created an original recipe from scratch, figured out how to cook it on the grill and filmed it all by hand. Am I just being pissy or am I being singled out?

http://www.ireport.com/docs... versus http://tinyurl.com/kpww9k ?
Seriously? I keep thinking that I can go on with a brethren t-shirt, talk about what bbq really is, and make the network a little more interesting but its getting a little tiring. Why try?

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 10:04 PM

Just so folks know, here's the criteria used to select the second video over mine. I'm tired of wasting my time.

• How well the Washington State ingredient(s) was used
  • How well the recipe pairs with the Columbia Crest Grand Estates wine that served as its inspiration
  • Overall quality of recipe
  • Originality
  • How well the dish was showcased in the video

swamprb 06-18-2009 10:08 PM

Lose the hat, shades and SIDE banner. Don't try to show Bobby Flay up or "talk about what BBQ really is", because it would actually be interesting! The audience is not Brethren that the Food Network is targeting, you do great stuff, and we know it, so you may have to actaully "dumb down to the audience".

Redwingsfn31 06-18-2009 10:10 PM

The one thing I have learned about food network, is there has definately been a switch in priorities. It happened back in about 2002. The network really moved the focus away from the food, and toward personalities. They slowly and sytematically got rid of alot of good chefs, and replaced them with talking heads. They wanted to sell merchandise and diversify their revenu streams and this was their way of doing it. I to this day dont like and rarely watch the channel any more.

MilitantSquatter 06-18-2009 10:20 PM

Doubt your being singled out...

Sure it's frustrating.. but what's the motivation to keep submitting entries ?

If your having fun.. do it for that reason.. or change it up a bit and make some videos for grilling and BBQ and begin trying to market them online and through the online food community. This way you continue to put your love of cooking and video making together to help others improve.

If you really wanna win.. I think you should invest $5-$10K in a really good boob job and a wig of long blonde hair and get a really cute accent and softer voice... Bobby might take more interest in you..(maybe Cat too :biggrin:.. and I bet Giada and Rachel would dabble with a little wine)

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb (Post 953678)
Lose the hat, shades and SIDE banner. Don't try to show Bobby Flay up or "talk about what BBQ really is", because it would actually be interesting! The audience is not Brethren that the Food Network is targeting, you do great stuff, and we know it, so you may have to actaully "dumb down to the audience".

Thats great advice moving forward, Brian, though I've tried the no hat hat and glasses approach. My biggest problem is that I need to maximize each video shoot so not having my logo in there is tough. And I know food network is going to screw me constantly so I shoot video so its applicable to hundreds of foreign websites.

That said, I need to change something when this vegan woman who met absolutely none of the five criteria is a finalist. Seems like I wasted my time for something pre-determined.

Sledneck 06-18-2009 10:29 PM

Why dont you come up with a recipe and have somebody else do it, maybe your wife?

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 953687)
Doubt your being singled out...

Sure it's frustrating.. but what's the motivation to keep submitting entries ?

If your having fun.. do it for that reason.. or change it up a bit and make some videos for grilling and BBQ and begin trying to market them online and through the online food community. This way you continue to put your love of cooking and video making together to help others improve.

If you really wanna win.. I think you should invest $5-$10K in a really good boob job and a wig of long blonde hair and get a really cute accent and softer voice... Bobby might take more interest in you..(maybe Cat too :biggrin:.. and I bet Giada and Rachel would dabble with a little wine)

Nah, it's all good. A quick Google search for SmokeInDaEye yields 11K results. I'm just pissed that the freaking vegan girl who doesn't cook a damn thing is somehow in the running for a few $K. Whatever. I still challenge Bobby or any of them to step into my backyard and just cook.

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 953698)
Why dont you come up with a recipe and have somebody else do it, maybe your wife?

I did consider that today. I'm working on a burger recipe that may come from "christine canwald"

Pantseatflyer 06-18-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye (Post 953689)
Thats great advice moving forward, Brian, though I've tried the no hat hat and glasses approach. My biggest problem is that I need to maximize each video shoot so not having my logo in there is tough. And I know food network is going to screw me constantly so I shoot video so its applicable to hundreds of foreign websites.

That said, I need to change something when this vegan woman who met absolutely none of the five criteria is a finalist. Seems like I wasted my time for something pre-determined.

I feel for you brother. You recipe was 'hands down' better than the vegan chick.

Political correctness, talking heads and greenhouse gas is the new 'theme' of the Food Network. I'm so sick of it. I have to come here to the Brethren Forum just to maintain my gastronomic sanity.

Be yourself. Keep on doing what you enjoy. When all the PETA, Veggie heads' dishes are pushed over to the compost pile, the "Que" is still SMOKIN'!!

Don't let them suck the FUN out of what you love to do... Cookin' up the QUE!

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 10:42 PM

Should I stop wearing Bobby's Iron Chef jacket around?

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...DaEye/iron.jpg

Harmening 06-18-2009 10:52 PM

What about a video with girls in bikinis? That seems to sell quite well these days. Maybe you didn't provide enough "flair".

Sledneck 06-18-2009 10:55 PM

what about doing it with use of puppets?

SmokeInDaEye 06-18-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 953715)
what about doing it with use of puppets?

Obviously you didn;t see my last video. Adam Puppet Lang stole the show.

BBQchef33 06-18-2009 11:04 PM

I would start with loosing the logo. I learned long ago that media wont do anything they would see as free advertising or promotion. If that was on a tee shirt and you were on camera, they would blur it out.