The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why do you compete? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96587)

Bigmista 12-04-2010 09:27 PM

Why do you compete?

I'm really curious about why other people do it.

Buster Dog BBQ 12-04-2010 09:34 PM

We do because its something we can do as a family.

JD McGee 12-04-2010 09:36 PM

At first it was all about braggin' rights..."Hey man...look at me!" Now it's mostly about the people...hangin' out with friends (old and new)...having a few cold ones and talkin' story! :thumb: Still...there's the anticipation and rush you get each time you get a call! :cool:

big brother smoke 12-04-2010 10:28 PM

To have fun and see your ugly mug, lol! :-P
Don't get me wrong, I go to do my best, but I can only do comps a few times a year due to catering, the fishing biz and the day job.

Trying to do at least five this year!

Ken V 12-04-2010 11:00 PM

I would say at this point(I have done 6 comps) it is for the rush of the call and the challenge. Those are getting pushed back a little more at each contest by the great people I have met and the friendships I have formed. The contest that really showed me what is was about was at Shannon, IL. When I took a class from rub with swampboys and seen how everybody helped him out to make sure he had what he needed coming all the way from FL. Scotty, his girls and sister from cancersucks Chicago and Todd with ployboys are the best.

txschutte 12-04-2010 11:06 PM

You need a slot for "It's a great way to spend time with my family where everyone has a job, and everyone shares in the reward."

NorthwestBBQ 12-04-2010 11:24 PM

I can't tell you, I compete...:-P

Hub 12-05-2010 06:07 AM

Because BBQ competition isn't "black and white" -- what works today may flop tomorrow. Lots and lots of variables. CHALLENGE :grin:

Ford 12-05-2010 06:57 AM

You need to allow multiple answers. The only one I wouldn't click is that insomniac one.

Say what you want at the end of the day if you are really there to win then it's the competitive spirit that drives you. I think it's great to meet new friends, see old ones again and it's extremely relaxing for me. When I just do a contest and don't vend it's like a holiday. It was that way before I started vending and was still doing consulting.

Rich Parker 12-05-2010 07:12 AM

I do it for the chicks :cool:

Just don't tell the wife.

HBMTN 12-05-2010 07:22 AM

For me it's a combination of the 1st and last. I like the competition, it brings back the rush of being young and playing sports, but I am not super competitive. Then Along the way I have made many new friends.

watertowerbbq 12-05-2010 11:42 AM

I enjoy it because it's a chance to get together with a bunch of other people who share the same love of cooking bbq. I also enjoy it because it's competitive, but not to the point of taking the fun out of it.

Friday is like a tailgate and Saturday is for the competition, but at awards, it's all about listening for your name and the names of your friends.

bigdogphin 12-05-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ (Post 1475057)
We do because its something we can do as a family.

This!!!!!!

RedPig 12-05-2010 12:55 PM

For me, initially, I wanted to get a better idea of how good (or bad) my Q really was. Friends and family are reliable benchmarks but they won't always tell you straight up if something is amiss or lacking. They don't want to offend nor risk getting cut off. Competing has really given me the opportunity to travel, meet new friends and share in the sucess and disappointments of competing.

Homebrewed Q 12-05-2010 12:59 PM

I've only done one comp so far, back in April. I've wanted to for a while, I've helped other teams before and didn't have much say in the process or product so I decided to do it on my own. My Dad and I always talked about it, but unfortunately we lost him back in February. I like to compete, and didn't know so much about the camaraderie until I did the comp in April. I was sandwiched between two extremely helpful pitmasters and they offered tips and advice. My family was there to help and I think I've hooked my Mom and Sister. We're looking forward to more cookoffs in 2011, and to learn how to use our new Backwoods Fatty.

42BBQ 12-05-2010 01:13 PM

I WILL be doing it for a lot of reasons. 1) I want to know how my Que stacks up against proven, legit, guys who have been in the biz for a long time. 2) As a necessary step towards some type of catering/roadside/market business. 3) As a way to spend quality time with my family. I'm not getting into it for a couple years, letting my kids (all four of them 6/5/3/1) get a little older. Finally, and probably most important BECAUSE I LOVE TO QUE!!!!! Good luck to all in upcoming comps.

jbrink01 12-05-2010 01:23 PM

I like the comraderie, the challenge, and the agony of defeat!

bbq.tom 12-05-2010 01:36 PM

To me it is a combination of several things - some of which are not listed in the poll. I enjoy the whole aspect of the competition, meeting new people, renewing friendships with other teams, cooking the entries, putting our entries up against all others, the fun before/during/and after the competition, etc.

Q-Dat 12-05-2010 03:28 PM

Its the only way I know of to be around others who share this hobby/obsession.

KC_Bobby 12-05-2010 10:04 PM

I slightly misread the question. It started as a competitive thing. But now it's seeing friends and the competitive thing - it is a thrill to hear your team called last.

Ryan Chester 12-06-2010 01:12 PM

Started out as a way to promote our business (The Rub Co.) Now I think the time spent with family and friends trumps the business aspect.

Dr_KY 12-06-2010 02:23 PM

I do it for the love.

My first event here on the island was for the cash, I didn't know anyone that was competing and didn't care we were there as friends and family for a great weekend away. But wouldn't you know it not a half hour into the day we knew every team that was competing and sharing the love of Q and cold beers.

I love this hobby.

bam 12-06-2010 02:27 PM

We do it for the Jazz!

Fatback Joe 12-06-2010 02:29 PM

Multiple reasons for me, but I suppose it is the competitive side that really got me interested to begin with.

Mister Bob 12-06-2010 04:03 PM

It's like camping with a purpose. I get to do what I love to do, share time with my friends and family, and hopefully get some positive reinforcement when the calls come!

Candy Sue 12-06-2010 06:53 PM

I started cooking on a beg from an organizer (needed more teams to make a sponsor happy), durn if I didn't win sauce! What a thrill, reel me in, I was hooked! Bought a Tucker Cooker with pellet fire within 30 days. Took DrBBQ's class, became a CBJ, cooked a contest with Ray, then did my first one solo and wasn't DAL. Been many a Saturday in the wee, wee hours of the morning, when I ask myself "why are you doing this?" After the last turn-in and pack-up and the wait for the thrill of getting your name called at the awards, it's really about the people. Sure, having street-cred for the business is nice, but if the business wasn't there, I'd still cook. I'd miss the hugs.

Carbon 12-06-2010 07:34 PM

I've competed in other hobbies, not BBQ'ing. I think people compete generally for similar reasons just like the next guy, regardless of the hobby.

Yakfishingfool 12-06-2010 08:51 PM

'Cause I'm Phil's Bitch and he tells me too!

ThomEmery 12-06-2010 10:01 PM

I really enjoy the people of BBQ

Boat-n-BBQ 12-07-2010 07:15 AM

I'm still very much a rookie. My 1st year and only 6 Comps.

For me it's a few things... At 1st it was "Can I actually do as good as some of these Pro's"? Now it's more about meeting people with the same interests in BBQin. I've met a lot of really great folks and that's got me wanting to come back more and more!

Lake Dogs 12-07-2010 09:05 AM

For me it's still a few things:
1. Can I/we do this as good as the big dogs?
2. Socialization, with other teams as well as friends & family
3. I really enjoy competing, so a game of cooking... FUN!
4. Learning. There's always something to be learned.

We throw 2 big BBQ parties most every year with 100+- attendees.
We get quite a bit of #2 and #4 in these, and we get to experiment
with new recipes (see how the masses like them; ala. judges). So,
the competitions are about #1 and #3, but we wouldn't do them if
they didnt involve #2 and #4. For that matter we focus on a few
particular competitions around here because of the personalities
involved and family and friends are able to visit much easier. So,
it's not only why we compete, but why we compete in some of the
competitions that we compete in vs. choosing to compete in others.