The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mad Scientist Pizza Tonight! your thoughts are welcome (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156720)

CharredApron 03-21-2013 03:37 PM

Mad Scientist Pizza Tonight! your thoughts are welcome

I am trying a new method tonight ( new to me anyway) since I didn't get my fire brick stone built yet. I am going to cut down my granite stone I used to use in my home oven. It is seasoned nicely from many cooks in the oven. I am going to put my lava stone on the grill below my top grill, and the granite stone on the top level to cook the pies on. My last cook resulted in some burnt bottoms not the "I'll tan yur hide, boy" type either. I am hoping that the air space between the two stone will give me a heat barrier and allow for more dome heat from the Kamado.

CharredApron 03-21-2013 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the set-up hoping for a winner

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-21-2013 04:26 PM

That looks like an excellent setup to me.

CharredApron 03-21-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hometruckin (Post 2417063)
Here is the set-up hoping for a winner

I think it might just work, we will have to wait and see!
Thanks,
jed

boogiesnap 03-21-2013 04:34 PM

it's worth a try for sure. i do think, however, that you'd be better served by putting the pie on the bottom stone. then, the radiant heat from the upper stone will cook the top of the pizza as fast as the bottom.

just my cents.

CharredApron 03-21-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 2417085)
it's worth a try for sure. i do think, however, that you'd be better served by putting the pie on the bottom stone. then, the radiant heat from the upper stone will cook the top of the pizza as fast as the bottom.

just my cents.

Maybe but it is a ceramic cooker. The dome should reach temp.

boogiesnap 03-21-2013 05:08 PM

fair enough, but then the top stone should be the same temp as the bottom stone, thus no "heat barrier". i do like the idea though of raising the pie closer to the dome.

but i don't cook on a ceramic, so i'm kinda just throwing things out there.

looking forward to some pron!

CharredApron 03-21-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 2417114)
fair enough, but then the top stone should be the same temp as the bottom stone, thus no "heat barrier". i do like the idea though of raising the pie closer to the dome.

but i don't cook on a ceramic, so i'm kinda just throwing things out there.

looking forward to some pron!

Well the the bottom stone as you know is the indirect shield, the upper stone is much closer to the dome. I am getting ready to post the PrOn and it was a minor success.

charrederhead 03-21-2013 07:14 PM

Looking forward to the results....

CharredApron 03-21-2013 08:32 PM

The results are in....Not Pepe's

1 Attachment(s)
I made the mistake of buying dough because I wanted to prove my theory. The results are in and the set-up prevented the dreaded burned bottom, but the dough didn't give me the rise and browning I expected.

CharredApron 03-21-2013 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bottoms were the way I wanted them to be!

landarc 03-21-2013 08:56 PM

looks decent on the bottom, top looks a little pale, but, you appear to be close.

CharredApron 03-21-2013 09:20 PM

Gettin there! I really think it is the dough. When I make my own it is usually 65% hydration which accounts for the spring in the crust. This dough was really glutenous and hard to stretch. It worked for my test though!:grin:

buccaneer 03-21-2013 10:36 PM

Side shots showing the bread of the slice please!:-o

buccaneer 03-21-2013 10:47 PM

I cook my pizza on the highest rack of a BigSteelKeg on a stone.
The heat rolls around the sides and over on these, I use no heat deflection at all.
Rather than radiant energy, pizza is cooked by heated air, right?