The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Horizontal grill body in ceramic? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154464)

SunBum 02-22-2013 07:52 AM

Horizontal grill body in ceramic?

Hi guys (& gals). I'm brand new here, but I see that you all have a lot of good information and advice about all things bbq!

I am just starting a quest (or research really) to pursue an idea I have (in my head only right now) for a new kind of grill I'd like to build. I have lots of questions and I'd like to pick your brains on occasion and see what I can come up with. I'm hoping to learn a lot without annoying anyone with too many noob-type questions!

For some quick background, I am a food-lover and that includes almost anything and, of course, bbq (although my wife is the real bbq lover in this house). I enjoy cooking and consider myself an average backyard bbq'er.

My first question, among many more I think, is;

Is there any such thing as a traditional horizontal-type (like the ones at the big box stores) grill or smoker with a ceramic-type body? If not, why not?

I have, of course, seen the Kamado-types, BGE etc. but I've not seen the ceramics used in a more traditional setup. I was just wondering why?

Thanks!

BBQ Bandit 02-22-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunBum (Post 2378391)
Hi guys (& gals). I'm brand new here, but I see that you all have a lot of good information and advice about all things bbq!

I am just starting a quest (or research really) to pursue an idea I have (in my head only right now) for a new kind of grill I'd like to build. I have lots of questions and I'd like to pick your brains on occasion and see what I can come up with. I'm hoping to learn a lot without annoying anyone with too many noob-type questions!

For some quick background, I am a food-lover and that includes almost anything and, of course, bbq (although my wife is the real bbq lover in this house). I enjoy cooking and consider myself an average backyard bbq'er.

My first question, among many more I think, is;

Is there any such thing as a traditional horizontal-type (like the ones at the big box stores) grill or smoker with a ceramic-type body? If not, why not?

I have, of course, seen the Kamado-types, BGE etc. but I've not seen the ceramics used in a more traditional setup. I was just wondering why?

Thanks!

a. Cost of manufacturing.
b. Weight - a BGE is over twice the weight of a double-walled steel knock-off clone (Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg).
c. Durability during shipping - very fragile.
d. Strength of material - not a strong weight bearing material.

Would literally outweigh any warranty practicalities.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-22-2013 08:35 AM

In addition to Bandit's very good answer, a standing cylinder is much stronger than a horizontal one.

ubp_sanity 02-22-2013 02:10 PM

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I was actually thinking of lining my old gas grill with bricks, for the heat retention.

But I have to comment on a few of the points BBQ Bandit brought up:

A, Yes, it does cost more to manufacture, but BGE manages to do it.
B, It may weigh more, but BGE manages to pull it off.
C, It may be fragile, but BGE manages to do it.
D, May not be strong, but BGE manages to do it
and offer warranties.

also, B again, even the BGE is a knock-off clone as well :-o

I think it's actually a valid question. Of course, being a rectangular shape, it would be easy enough to build with bricks. And I'm sure without searching too hard you could easily find someone who's done it. The biggest issue would be the weight of the lid, but a spring assisted lid would be easy enough to figure out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit (Post 2378409)
a. Cost of manufacturing.
b. Weight - a BGE is over twice the weight of a double-walled steel knock-off clone (Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg).
c. Durability during shipping - very fragile.
d. Strength of material - not a strong weight bearing material.

Would literally outweigh any warranty practicalities.

BBQ Bandit 02-22-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubp_sanity (Post 2378859)
I've been wondering the same thing myself. I was actually thinking of lining my old gas grill with bricks, for the heat retention.

But I have to comment on a few of the points BBQ Bandit brought up:

A, Yes, it does cost more to manufacture, but BGE manages to do it.
B, It may weigh more, but BGE manages to pull it off.
C, It may be fragile, but BGE manages to do it.
D, May not be strong, but BGE manages to do it
and offer warranties.

also, B again, even the BGE is a knock-off clone as well :-o

I think it's actually a valid question. Of course, being a rectangular shape, it would be easy enough to build with bricks. And I'm sure without searching too hard you could easily find someone who's done it. The biggest issue would be the weight of the lid, but a spring assisted lid would be easy enough to figure out.

The original poster was referring to a horizontal offset made with a ceramic body.

Am not aware of any horizontal offsets made out of ceramics. Have you seen a horizontal ceramic unit? Please provide any available details or websites for further discussions. Piqued my curiosity. Don't believe BGE has such a design.

Have you seen a 4 foot wide ceramic curved lid for an offset?
Weight of bricks are even heavier than ceramics... that would be a permanent location.

Its the physical properties of ceramics which prevents a horizontal design.

SunBum 02-25-2013 07:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback

I figured there was a good reason this setup (ceramic horizontal grill body) wasn't readily available.