The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   22.5" Weber Kettle Mod Suggestions - Want a table as well (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166566)

uncblue 07-22-2013 06:24 PM

22.5" Weber Kettle Mod Suggestions - Want a table as well

So I really like the Weber performers....I've been looking on CL but have not seen one for sale in quite some time...Ran across a deal on a 22.5" kettle & decided to pull the trigger @ $50 in like new condition, with a chimney, cover, and charcoal...

It doesn't have the one touch cleaning system for ashes...got a good mod to overcome that or should I keep my eye out for one that has that feature?

Now the fun begins with transforming it into a Performer style with table..Thinking it could be awesome to have a long table with SS top and put the Kamado on the left side, a large gas burner in the middle, and the kettle on the right side... Thinking workspace on either side of them and have the burner be flush so I could put a cover over it to use as workspace as well... Would love to have dry storage underneath for chimney, charcoal, wood etc..maybe even half open for wood storage inside of baskets or large glass jars labeled by species....

last but not least, best way to go about setting up gas ignition of the charcoal? I'd like something more robust then what comes on the weber and want it to accept a 20lb tank...

Thoughts? Know of any ready made carts/tables for kettles so I can check out the designs?

Thanks all for the feedback...Ya'll rock....

Bludawg 07-22-2013 07:18 PM

I'd hit CL for restaurant equipment and look for a SS prep table it will be the cheapest route. SS Fab is costly. By the time you get a used table and have it cut you would spend less at least 1,000.00 less just buying a New Performer and a weed burner from harbor junk.

uncblue 07-22-2013 07:34 PM

Thanks for the input..I was planning to build the table from wood & stain it and just do a thin SS sheet over plywood for the top... Dont think my wife would allow just a SS table on either of the decks... I've been doing some googling and found some awesome pics on various sites but none yet that meet all that I'm wanting to put on it... It's going to get interesting...:clap2:

J-Rod 07-22-2013 09:12 PM

Scrounge CL and maybe find a wood table in a size and height you need for cheep. Bring it home, take your kettle lid and use it to layout a half circle crescent moon shape on one side of table... use jigsaw to cut it out, sand the rough edges, polyurethane it and you got a nice table to park your kettle in/next to. Don't forget to allow for the handles.
As for gas assist, I made a poor man's special out of a propane torch and a piece of 3/8" soft copper. Works great. PM me if you want more details.

twofishy4u 07-22-2013 09:45 PM

buddy had this issue. We welded up a cart about 25" wide and 4' wide. Kettle fit inside rails(angle iron)side area is wood that is nicely stained. The bottom shelf is also wood and stained. It has nice roller wheels, many hooks for tools, and we made a fold out hook for the lid. Wish I had pics. It is kick a$$. No gas assist though. I got lucky and found a couple year old performer platinum for $150 last week. Love it and it has been used every night so far but 1.

muidaq 07-22-2013 09:47 PM

Here you go.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=165292

Bludawg 07-22-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncblue (Post 2561148)
Thanks for the input..I was planning to build the table from wood & stain it and just do a thin SS sheet over plywood for the top... Dont think my wife would allow just a SS table on either of the decks... I've been doing some googling and found some awesome pics on various sites but none yet that meet all that I'm wanting to put on it... It's going to get interesting...:clap2:

Oh I get, it it's the house your buying for her that she lets you stay at:tsk: tomorrow is Tuesday you owe me for that hamburger:razz: