adding a blower to a smoker?

S

steelsmith

Hi all, my access is limited so search is a question?
What I am interested in is: has anyone modified an electric leaf blower to increase airflow on the cheap vertical smokers? I have increased both inlet openings and exhaust ports and still find a lack of heat.

I'm sure unmodified a leaf-blower is extreme overkill for this purpose. I will be attaching a speed control (router speed control from Harbor Freight) to slow the CFM to a modest level. The leaf-blower I'm using is a weedeater brand model 2510. It has a 7 amp motor, so it's not a real powerhouse.

I have trouble getting to smoking temperatures. The lower temperatures require longer cook times which uses additional fuel. This is not an economical way to smoke ...
I originally thought of a blower-motor attachment from a wood stove or a pellet stove but those were over $100. A used leaf-blower at a yard sale is $10 or less ... I also thought of a 'blow dryer' but felt while the CFM would be less the machine itself would also be less than ...

Hope to hear back from other experimenters!
Thanks, Steelsmith

What I am interested in is: has anyone modified an electric leaf blower to increase airflow on the cheap vertical smokers? I have increased both inlet openings and exhaust ports and still find a lack of heat.

I'm sure unmodified a leaf-blower is extreme overkill for this purpose. I will be attaching a speed control (router speed control from Harbor Freight) to slow the CFM to a modest level. The leaf-blower I'm using is a weedeater brand model 2510. It has a 7 amp motor, so it's not a real powerhouse.

I have trouble getting to smoking temperatures. The lower temperatures require longer cook times which uses additional fuel. This is not an economical way to smoke ...
I originally thought of a blower-motor attachment from a wood stove or a pellet stove but those were over $100. A used leaf-blower at a yard sale is $10 or less ... I also thought of a 'blow dryer' but felt while the CFM would be less the machine itself would also be less than ...

Hope to hear back from other experimenters!
Thanks, Steelsmith

I would try a computer fan before that. Weed blower is way way way too much... You can get them pre made for smokers for about $45.

First off, if you are having problems getting to temperature, had you made all the best modifications that are passive modifications to the smoker? Assuming it is a charcoal smoker with a solid fire pan, similar to a Brinkmann vertical, there are a whole lot of modifications you can make.

Second, I modified a hibachi (old Japanese cast iron) to accept a blow dryer, it was too much and cracked the Hibachi. A leaf blower, no matter how slowly you run it, is going to be giving you a lot of air volume, I believe it could be unsafe. The smaller 2 to 3 cfm blowers are the way to go.

^^^ Not to mention blowing ash all over the place.

Lol, I hear you on the ash! That would be bad!

So, the number I'm looking for is less than 10CFM more like 3 to 5 CFM? Yeah, that would not be a job for a leaf-blower ... !
Computor fans are what 12vdc? I'm thinking Radio Shack, any other suggestions? How 'bout variable speed any thoughts for a donor? It could be derived from automotive sources ...?

Lol, I hear you on the ash! That would be bad!

So, the number I'm looking for is less than 10CFM more like 3 to 5 CFM? Yeah, that would not be a job for a leaf-blower ... !
Computor fans are what 12vdc? I'm thinking Radio Shack, any other suggestions? How 'bout variable speed any thoughts for a donor? It could be derived from automotive sources ...?

make it easy on yourself.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=192

Thanks, Steelsmith

You can use the search function at the bottom of the page it is site specific. The first 3 to 4 results will be more of the general category but the rest will be results from this forum. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help regarding search function ...

I think the problem might be with your Firebox it's self. Every CVS I have ever looked at has had the same porcelain bowl to hold the coals there are no holes in it> No Holes = No Air to the base of the fire hence low temps and difficulty keeping a fire burning.
Buy a Cheap Smoky Joe knock off or a Grill Basket and use that for the Fire Box I'm pretty sure it will correct the problem.
But if Not you can always use the redneck Version The Binford 3000 :becky:

There you go! The Binford 3000 Lol! That's as good as my leaf-blower idea! Ha

I have found a simple/cheap system on Ebay for $50. It is fairly complete and looks like it should do the job.
Again Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me!
Steelsmith

Back