• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Paella on the Weber

NS Mike D

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got the Weber Kettle fired up. Chicken, Pork, Chorizo, Scallops, Clams, Mussels and Shrimp. Aborio rice . Seasoned with Smoked Spanish Paprika, Saffron, Onions, Peppers, Garlic, tomato sauce, and chicken stock. Garnished with grilled asparagus (grilled them first and then set aside), roasted red peppers and lemon.

prepped the ingredients

IMG_0141.jpg

on the grill

IMG_0142.jpg

I had to run and pick up son from a neighbor, thus I pulled it off the a little grill too early, so I nuked the clams a minute and they opened.

IMG_0148.jpg

dinner was served
IMG_0152.jpg

This is awesome! Nice work.

I was thinking of trying this next weekend. I've had the rice for a while just waiting for the right time.

Is the a recipe for yours somewhere?

I'll post last night's recipe. Been playing around with different variations. This is a puerto rican arroz con pollo with chorizo I did over the summer. I don't have bomba (paella) rice so I use aborio. Getting the right amount of liquid is tricky, especially when you add seafood, so the aborio rice is very forgiving that way.

I'll also share thoughts on charcoal/temp as I over did the initial charcoal and thus the darker color.

This is a puerto rican arroz con pollo (the poor man's paella) with chorizo I did over the summer (where I played around with the idea of the asparagus garnish)

IMG_8560.jpg

Looks irresistible! I'll take a plate of that. :thumb:

The Recipe

So here goes:

17" Paella Pan makes 10 servings

1/2 lb Boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 thighs) cubed
1/2 lb Pork loin cubed
2 Chozo sliced in half lengthwise, the sliced in 1/8" pieces
6 Scallops cut in quarters (you can substitute with 1/2 lb bay scallops)

12 shrimp, peeled and veined
12 clams
12 mussels

4 Cloves of garlic crushed and diced
1 Spanish onion diced
1 Green Pepper diced

2 tsp Smoked Spanish paprika
1/4 g Saffron threads (about 1/2 tsp)

3 1/2 c Aborio rice (or Bomba if you can find it)
4 c Chicken stock (hot)
4 oz Tomato paste

4 c How water (as needed)

olive oil

garnish

grilled asparagus
roasted red peppers (thinly sliced)
lemon slices (about three lemons)

directions

Prepare a charcoal grill with one chimney of kingsford blue. Spread coals evenly. Grill asparagus and set aside.

Place paella pan on grill and coat with olive oil (about 3 t/l). Add garlic and stir quickly to prevent burning. Add chicken and pork stirring to coat with oil and brown, about 5 minutes. Add scallops.

Add onion and peppers, continue to stir so that nothing burns until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Addpaprika and saffron and stir so they coat the ingredients and the heat brings out their aromas, about 2 minutes.

Add rice and stir to mix well.

Add tomato sauce and chicken broth and gentle stir to evenly distribute the paella.

Cover the grill with the lid and close vents halfway to reduce temperature. Quickly check every 5 minutes, add water a cup at a time as needed. Stir gently, just enough to distribute the water. The clams and mussels will release liquid, so take that into account before adding water. After 20 minutes the rice should be mostly cooked and little to no liquid should remain. At this point the paella with to start forming the sacorrat, the crunchy rice on the bottom. This is considered a delicacy and my favorite as a child.

Add the seafood and garnish. The clams and mussels should be inserted to touch the bottom of the pan so they are 80% surrounded by the rice. The clams and mussels will release liquid, so take that into account before adding
Cover and cook another 10 minutes until the clams and mussels have opened, the rice is cooked and there is no liquid. Did the sacorrat form?

serve.

Wow that looks sooooo good :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: My wife does not like clams and muscels I could use shrimp, chicken, and sausage. I keep saying that I am going to do this I need to keep this promise to myself

Wow that looks sooooo good :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: My wife does not like clams and muscels I could use shrimp, chicken, and sausage. I keep saying that I am going to do this I need to keep this promise to myself

You can mix and match your proteins. My first venture on the weber with the paella pan was a simple chorizo and chicken dish using sazon (the poor man's saffron), more typical of a Puerto Rican arroz con pollo.

Some restaurants assemble their paellas at the last second, so you can make one for both you and your wife and then add your cooked mussels and clams to just your plate. When you take the paella off to rest, put your shells fish on the grill in a small foil pan (cover with foil to speed up the process. Pout the liquid right into your plate.

Man I love me some paella. Did a batch for eight or ten last year for family on the stovetop. If I had a big enough pot for the grill, I'd do it again, this time on the Weber

Back