The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fire box peeled on meadow creek during season. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260113)

Sickboy579 05-12-2018 01:31 PM

Fire box peeled on meadow creek during season.

5 Attachment(s)
So... picked up my new Ts120p Wednesday. Friday nite let’s season it up!
I decided for once in my life to read the operators manual and follow their seasoning directions to the t. As if it was gospel. Hit the inside with pam. Light 10# of charcoal, vents wide open per their instructions. Calibrated my thermometers to the readings on my “smoke”. Soon after lost 1/3 of the paint off my fire box. Sick to my stomach. What do y’all think... is it unreasonable to expect my paint to stay on the fire box of a $5k smoker? I don’t think it is... I have other mc products never had trouble... I’m going to assume the paint didn’t adhere properly? Maybe the metal was not prepped correctly? Comments? Concerns? Cheap shots? What do you think?

In the end... I mean, it ran nice, the cc seasoned nice. Did a fatty of chorizo, a bacon wrapped cheese filled fatty of chorizo and a few ABT’s... all delicious.

I’m awaiting to hear what Lavern and the boys from mc have to say about the paint as I find it unacceptable, lord knows they cost more than everyone else... so I expect the highest of quality from them.

SmittyJonz 05-12-2018 01:36 PM

Thats why PJTexas said to run at 200-250* for a couple hours to cure the paint in the other thread.

Sand it off, wipe with some Denatured alcohol and spray paint it with Rustoleum BBQ Paint - part of Normal offset maintenance.

SmittyJonz 05-12-2018 01:38 PM

In future when Firebox gets surface Rust, sand it , treat it with Rust stop/metal treatment type stuff n repaint. Once - twice a year.......

https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Met...tal+paint+prep

Sickboy579 05-12-2018 02:01 PM

Mc says take it to 300* then mist it... repeat. I can’t imagine that extra 50*. In the cc is going to take out the 1200* paint on the fire box. Well either way.... no more reading the directions lol

SmittyJonz 05-12-2018 02:12 PM

Kinda Sucks cuz it's New but Firebox paint maintenance is Normal.
Some have success"Seasoning" the outisde with oil as it cools down After a cook but you gotta do it pretty much every cook for a while.

pjtexas1 05-12-2018 02:28 PM

I agree with paying that kind of money and expecting a better product. I'd be pissed if that happened to a $500 offset on the first fire. The paint on my 30 year old offset looked better than yours. It may have had surface rust but the paint never came off in sections. Tuned into to see what MC will do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TuscaloosaQ 05-12-2018 02:51 PM

I can tell you only this...... it was never sandblasted...

Sickboy579 05-12-2018 03:05 PM

Like any offset, of course I expect maintenance and touch ups on the box but, not paint peeling off in sheets on the first fire.

Yeah, looks like the hit it with a flap disc or something

SmoothBoarBBQ 05-12-2018 03:12 PM

For the prices Meadow Creek charges their Quality Control should certainly be more effective. While I will agree that this is normal maintenance on a firebox after a while it certainly shouldn't have peeled off after the first fire.

I am also interested to see how Meadow Creek handles this complaint. Good luck and I hope they take care of you.

Sickboy579 05-16-2018 01:37 PM

Emailed mc about the issue. Melvin, the owner called me and sufficiently resolved the issue. Stand up guy, stand up company.

OklaDustDevil 05-16-2018 04:53 PM

Sanding and touching up FB paint certainly is normal maintenance after a few years of sittin outside in the weather. But I totally disagree that it's normal maintence when the paint is sheeting off like yours after you fire it up the first time. That is a manufacturing defect, and IMHO you should expect them to fix or replace it at their cost.

Zin 05-16-2018 08:55 PM

Wow that sucks, i would demand they replace the whole unit. Looks like it was not even sand blasted, but not to take any chances that the metal they used might have been bad. I would only except a new one or my money back.

Rockinar 05-17-2018 02:26 AM

I got impatient when seasoning my Klose and cranked it up. The paint got soft but never peeled off like that.

wbzipf 05-17-2018 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sickboy579 (Post 3998086)
Emailed mc about the issue. Melvin, the owner called me and sufficiently resolved the issue. Stand up guy, stand up company.

Thant’s good to hear. What exactly are they planning on doing to fix it?

-Chris- 05-17-2018 05:56 AM

With all of the VOC regulations, paint just sure isn't what it used to be. looks like some surface contamination that was not washed off before spraying.

Chris