The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Happier Than a Pig In Chit! With Picture (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31921)

MileHighSmoker 09-22-2007 02:19 PM

Happier Than a Pig In Chit! With Picture

1 Attachment(s)
I know it is small-time or lazy-q to you fellas but I am now the proud owner of a Bradley Digital. I was going to hold out for a cookshack but this is what came along for me.

I have been without a smoker since moving here 2 months ago and selling my SKD.

Now the question will be... What kinda que will it produce? :confused:

Don Marco 09-22-2007 02:25 PM

Congrats and good luck with your new ove...:icon_shy um... smoker :wink:

I wonder how it performs.
I ´ve seen em in a german online store a couple of days ago, too, but its way overpriced.

How much are the "pucks" in the US and how long do they last ?
Do the Pucks produce only smoke or smoke and heat ?

DM

Rub-A-Dub 09-22-2007 02:26 PM

Gratz!!!!! very nice

MileHighSmoker 09-22-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Marco (Post 467166)
Congrats and good luck with your new ove...:icon_shy um... smoker :wink:

I wonder how it performs.
I ´ve seen em in a german online store a couple of days ago, too, but its way overpriced.

How much are the "pucks" in the US and how long do they last ?
Do the Pucks produce only smoke or smoke and heat ?

DM

According to their site it is about $1 an hour to run including pucks and electricity. Not too bad considering what I spent in wood and charcoal.

I am intrigued by the digital control of temperature and frequency of smoke. The door forms an extremely tight seal so less smoke should go further. By automatically dumping the "spent" pucks into a water bowl it supposedly cuts down on any bitter taste.

I picked up 2 large racks of babybacks that will make their way into it in the next few days. That and I am going to try the bean I was braggin about a couple of weeks ago in it.

butts a fire 09-22-2007 02:46 PM

Congrats, you'll have to post some pictures so we can see that thing in action.

BBQ_MAFIA 09-22-2007 08:15 PM

Good luck with your new toy.

Let us know how you like it.

BigAl 09-22-2007 09:32 PM

Let me know when the meat is is done, I'll be right over, neighbor!

JamesB 09-22-2007 10:04 PM

I've always avoided these smokers due to the proprietary fuel source... but, then again, I've always wondered how the cooked...

James.

MileHighSmoker 09-22-2007 10:12 PM

More pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Well I couldn't control myself I had to play with my new toy even before I had any meat ready to go in it. I fired it up this afternoon and ran it through a 1 hour cycle. It burns 1 puck every 20 minutes. The smoke was clean and gave off a nice fruity aroma because I was burning their apple puck. I was pleased with the quantity and quality of smoke although it took a little longer to get to temp (even empty) than I had hoped. On a second dry run it got up quickly. I think the trick it to set it high, then slow er down when it gets close to the 230 zone.

I have 2 racks of ribs in the fridge defrosting and think I will apply some rub tomorrow. Looks like Monday will be rib day. The beauty of it all is that I work from home and can put the ribs on early after noon and give them a 4 - 5 hour cook in time for dinner.:cool:

txschutte 09-22-2007 10:20 PM

This is a BBq site, right? Who gives a chit how you do it if it works for you? I need pics Mon. nite.

MileHighSmoker 09-22-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txschutte (Post 467274)
This is a BBq site, right? Who gives a chit how you do it if it works for you? I need pics Mon. nite.

Will do txschutte.

I am debating on if it will produce better que than my rookie hand could make on my offset due to the consistency of constant temp and clean smoke. I have to admit that with my offset I would occasionally run hot sometimes then be fighting bad smoke the next. Ribs will be a good first run but it won't be until I can get a shoulder or brisket on that I will get a true long smoke test.

txschutte 09-22-2007 10:34 PM

If it doesn't work for you, we're not that far away, we can do the UDS ting and call it a trash can!:twisted:

MileHighSmoker 09-22-2007 10:39 PM

Instead of UDS how about the YFFS

Quote:

Originally Posted by txschutte (Post 467285)
If it doesn't work for you, we're not that far away, we can do the UDS ting and call it a trash can!:twisted:

If push comes to shove we will have to invent the YFFS (thats Yuppy Fake Fireplace Smoker) and figure a way to turn my Heatilator into a Meatilator. :oops: Maybe I have been drinking too much tonight.

txschutte 09-22-2007 10:51 PM

I haven't found a homeowners covenant that I can't get around yet!

Bossmanbbq 09-22-2007 11:19 PM

Only problem you will have with the neighbors bro is not having enough to feed the whole neighborhood:wink: