smoking ribs the day before?

comfrank

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had some timing problems with my ribs at the Oinktoberfest this past weekend. I've also concluded that I'm too damn old to be getting up before the sun, stumbling around in the cold and the dark to start the ribs. When I've tailgated I've taken smoked ribs from a previous barbecue, heated them up foiled on the grill, then removed from the foil and finished up by saucing and grilling. They've always turned out great.

Does anyone see a problem with doing something similar for competitions? I'm thinking of rubbing and smoking immediately after meat inspection, cooking until done or nearly so, and then putting them on ice until the next day. Then I can get a good night's sleep and finish the ribs on the grill before turn in. Does this plan seem sensible?

thanks,

--frank in Wilson, NY
Doghouse Willie BBQ Team

It's legal so long as you get the ribs chilled down according the the rules. I've found reheated ribs are fine for vending but I do think they lose a little so I wouldn't try it for competition. I guess you're the only person that can really answer the big question. Can you tell any difference between fresh off the smoker and reheated? If the answer is no try it in competition.

comfrank, see Ford's comment above. It's legal. If it works for you, by all means,
GO FOR IT.

I wish ALL the other teams down here cooked and re-heated. :lol:

Try it--see if it works for you.

TIM

Back