First Drum Brisket Practice

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Today I did my first practice brisket on my new drum. It was about 13.5lbs trimmed and it was done in 12.5 hours at an average temp of 250*.

I got my temp control dialed-in and she rocked +/- 5* all night with zero tending. It was a beautiful thing!

Please excuse the rough garnish. I've been ill today and didn't have the energy to perfect it.

John

2542750271_dd5653a5cb.jpg

Larger Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedawsonfamily/2542750271/sizes/o/

Looks good. Is this a meat contest or a garnish contest? :)

Great looking brisket

Howdy, The brisket looks fantastic, ,did you marinade it or just rub before smoking.
Charlie :-D

Wonderful, juicy looking brisket! I bet that was some good eats!

Very nice work John! It looks very juicy and cooked to perfection.

Wish I could reach my hand threw the moniter and grab a slice....looks fantastic!

Thanks for all of the very kind words.

Howdy, The brisket looks fantastic, ,did you marinade it or just rub before smoking.
Charlie :-D

I was a little behind the curve and rushed, so I injected and rubbed it barely an hour before it went on. I would have normally done that 5-6 hours before.

All in all, I don't think the final product suffered much, but I did make a mistake by wrapping it bark-side-down while it rested. That took quite a bit of the "pop" out of the bark. Once that happens there isn't really a way to put it back.

John

As said, that looks great! fill in the front with cut up bark pieces, and you've got quite a turn in box.

As said, that looks great! fill in the front with cut up bark pieces, and you've got quite a turn in box.

That was the plan, but my burnt ends weren't box-worthy. I didn't put enough TLC into them, so I left them out.

John

That looks really good. Too bad you can't eat the picture. Makes me hungry.

Back