The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Competition Brisket Suggestions (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30941)

The Giggler 08-28-2007 02:15 PM

Competition Brisket Suggestions
 
Anyone have any suggestions on competition brisket? We're just not happy with what we've had for turn ins. Time to experiment, maybe even get radical.

If anyone has anything they would be willing to share, we sure would appreciate it. Its three long years since we got a call in brisket.

Sincerely,

Mike
Giggling Pigs BBQ Co

YankeeBBQ 08-28-2007 02:17 PM

Didn't you take our class ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Giggler (Post 452057)
Anyone have any suggestions on competition brisket? We're just not happy with what we've had for turn ins. Time to experiment, maybe even get radical.

If anyone has anything they would be willing to share, we sure would appreciate it. Its three long years since we got a call in brisket.

Sincerely,

Mike
Giggling Pigs BBQ Co


Jorge 08-28-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ (Post 452059)
Didn't you take our class ?

Are you sure that's the advertising you want:wink:

The Giggler 08-28-2007 02:26 PM

Yeah, we did really well with the chicken portion:) Really, we did learn alot in the brisket category portion too. The problem I have is that even following the recipe to the T - the cookers are different, and the stick burner keeps turning out a bone dry result (from which I can deduct that its a dryer environment). We've been messing around with the trim, rub, etc. Putting it out there for suggestions....

Got a beauty to do up this weekend. And selected the competition briskets for aging this very morning. Great looking stuff - best I've seen all year. Just hope I don't kill it in the process.

Papa Hogg 08-28-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge (Post 452061)
Are you sure that's the advertising you want:wink:

Attend the Yankee BBQ Cooking class and you won't get a call again...Sign me up :lol:

ique 08-28-2007 02:34 PM

  • Turn up the heat. Try Cooking at 275-300
  • Put the fat cap between your brisket and the heat. For a stickburner that probably means fat down.
  • Wrap it in foil with a cup of flavorful liquid after ~165* internal or good bark has formed
  • Pull it at 188*
  • Rest in a cambro for 4 hours, wrapped in foil, fat cap up



Quote:

Originally Posted by The Giggler (Post 452057)
Anyone have any suggestions on competition brisket? We're just not happy with what we've had for turn ins. Time to experiment, maybe even get radical.

If anyone has anything they would be willing to share, we sure would appreciate it. Its three long years since we got a call in brisket.

Sincerely,

Mike
Giggling Pigs BBQ Co


Jorge 08-28-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Hogg (Post 452080)
Attend the Yankee BBQ Cooking class and you won't get a call again...Sign me up :lol:

I'm still bent about not making it. I've got a nice credit with Southwest from the trip I couldn't take for that class!

The Giggler 08-28-2007 02:41 PM

All kinding aside, we've participated in a few comp classes - Yankee's was by far the most informative. We had a great time, and gained much more knowledge than the others.

One thing I have found is that cooking on an offset is different than what we have learned on in classes. Besides, our brisket has been struggling since our best finish of 5th in 2004.

Did you have any suggestions?....:)

Dustaway 08-28-2007 02:57 PM

have you tried painting your slice's with a mix of head country and apple juice?

YankeeBBQ 08-28-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Giggler (Post 452092)
All kinding aside, we've participated in a few comp classes - Yankee's was by far the most informative. We had a great time, and gained much more knowledge than the others.

One thing I have found is that cooking on an offset is different than what we have learned on in classes. Besides, our brisket has been struggling since our best finish of 5th in 2004.

Did you have any suggestions?....:)

Well if you can figure out a cooking process on your offset the same flavor profile should come in handy. What are you doing now that is turning out bad, maybe if we know that we can help you adjust.

The Giggler 08-28-2007 03:37 PM

Anthony - thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the HC with apple a go.

Thanks Chris for the suggestion of keeping the fat cap b/t the heat and the meat. We'll give that a try too.

In terms of the process, the brisket is cooked fat side up until 165, then wrapped in a flavorful liquid until hitting 195, its pulled from the cooker, and sent for a nap until we are ready for slicing.

It looks good during the whole process, and gets a spray of apple juice after two hours, and every hour until foil.

Here's what I don't understand: it gets sliced, looks super moist, and within a couple minutes you need a chaser to get it down. The flavor is getting lost in the dryness, which we can't seem to get past.

I agree with you Steve, the flavor model is proven. Even modifying the trim, we're still missing something.

Our local is just around the corner, and in 2005 we got RGC. 2006 we got blanked. Trying to make a strong showing.

butts a fire 08-28-2007 05:09 PM

You might want to try pulling it at a bit lower temp For me 195 is too high we normally pull closer to 190. I also cook fat cap up.

Jorge 08-28-2007 05:37 PM

Temps will get you in the ballpark but I'd give it a poke or two to see if it is ready to be pulled early. Wrapping and adding something tasty and moist is great, but if left too long you can still dry the meat out. I've boiled the moisture out of more than one brisket and turned it into sawdust that way.

The_Kapn 08-28-2007 05:49 PM

A lot of good suggestions above.
We never have dry brisket, but we inject.

Take a look a post #10 in the roadmap thread for Brisket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13677

TIM

Bigmista 08-28-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Giggler (Post 452124)
Anthony - thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the HC with apple a go.

Thanks Chris for the suggestion of keeping the fat cap b/t the heat and the meat. We'll give that a try too.

In terms of the process, the brisket is cooked fat side up until 165, then wrapped in a flavorful liquid until hitting 195, its pulled from the cooker, and sent for a nap until we are ready for slicing.

It looks good during the whole process, and gets a spray of apple juice after two hours, and every hour until foil.

Here's what I don't understand: it gets sliced, looks super moist, and within a couple minutes you need a chaser to get it down. The flavor is getting lost in the dryness, which we can't seem to get past.

I agree with you Steve, the flavor model is proven. Even modifying the trim, we're still missing something.

Our local is just around the corner, and in 2005 we got RGC. 2006 we got blanked. Trying to make a strong showing.

Are you injecting it? If so, maybe try injecting it again right before you foil it...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.