• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How Is This For Prize Money?

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We are doing a one day comp in NJ in the beginning of May and here is a copy of the entry fee and prize money. What do you guys think? Will we get some interest?

BBQ TEAM ENTRY FORM

TEAM NAME:________________________________

HEAD COOK:________________________________

ADDRESS:___________________________________

CITY:_________________STATE:_____ZIP:_______

PHONE:_______________EMAIL:_______________

NUMBER OF TEAM MEMBERS:________________

ENTRY FEE

BBQ CONTEST $100.00
(ALL CATEGORIES)

PEOPLE’S CHOICE $25.00
(RIBS ONLY)

PRIZES AS FOLLOWS:
CHICKEN
5TH RIBOON
4TH RIBBON
3RD $50 TROPHY
2ND $75 TROPHY
1ST $150 TROPHY

RIBS
5TH RIBBON
4TH RIBBON
3RD $50 TROPHY
2ND $75 TROPHY
3RD $150 TROPHY

ANYTHING BUT DESSERT
5TH RIBBON
4TH RIBBON
3RD $50 TROPHY
2ND $75 TROPHY
1ST $150 TROPHY

RESERVE
$300
GRAND CHAMPION
$500

PEOPLE'S CHOICE WILL BE A BIG TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
$500 for GC is fair.

We would jump on it in Cali because we don't have as many contests as they do in the Midwest and the south.

I wouldn't even consider it. You're guaranteed to lose money even if you win the grand. Too many other contests with better odds than that.

I wouldn't even consider it. You're guaranteed to lose money even if you win the grand. Too many other contests with better odds than that.
$500 for a chicken and rib contest is not enough? How expensive are ribs & chix in ohio?

laughing, well, the chicken and ribs are reasonable, it is that damn oil that is killing all.........but, if it was in the immediate area, with a group of friends it would be a blast....

You have to consider other things like opportunity costs, time off work. For an extra hundred dollars I can enter a KCBS sanctioned contest with a $10,000 payoff for an extra hundred over that a $50,000 contest.

So many comps so few dollars and time to spend them on. Choose your competitions wisely!

You have to consider other things like opportunity costs, time off work. For an extra hundred dollars I can enter a KCBS sanctioned contest with a $10,000 payoff for an extra hundred over that a $50,000 contest.

So many comps so few dollars and time to spend them on. Choose your competitions wisely!

with a $10,000 pay off with 80 teams, split up over four categories, after an entire weekend of work, if you win grand champion and take first place in two categories and have three team members, you made about ten dollars an hour? Consider that! One day comps are easy and fun.

Good reminder......uhhhh, sounds like someone I know.......wait, lol, that one is Brett Favre'ish......

with a $10,000 pay off with 80 teams, split up over four categories, after an entire weekend of work, if you win grand champion and take first place in two categories and have three team members, you made about ten dollars an hour? Consider that! One day comps are easy and fun.

Well you asked for opinions and you got mine. Sorry you don't like the answer. The answer to this question will vary by each individual. My answer still stands, I would chose not to participate. Nothing wrong with that. Like I said there are lots of contests most with supporting some form of charity. I just like bigger contests with a chance of making a little money. If I was doing this for a per hour payout, I wouldn't be cooking in any contests.

Brother You do remember competition cooking for the joy of it LOL right? :)

I still do Thom. Like I said there are more contests to choose from than there are time and money. A big factor also is how the cooks are treated at contests. There are some contests that I will never ever cook in again because of it. In the end were all consumers with choices on how to spend our time and money. Support the contests you like and hopefully they'll flourish.

What no one has brought up is judging. Sure there is less costs, maybe on local deals, but if promoters brother in-law judges, then what? That is the main reason I focus on bigger contests. Besides, if your competing, it feels so much better beating big dogs, not inexperienced cooks. The assocs. have thier problems, but fair,blind judging works for me. Steve.

What no one has brought up is judging. Sure there is less costs, maybe on local deals, but if promoters brother in-law judges, then what? That is the main reason I focus on bigger contests. Besides, if your competing, it feels so much better beating big dogs, not inexperienced cooks. The assocs. have thier problems, but fair,blind judging works for me. Steve.

Brother in law of the promoter was born with taste buds from the same god as kcbs judge. This contest is for fun, and maybe win some money along the way. The judging will be blind. If you guys are in comps to make money, don't quit your day jobs. This is suppose to be fun, something to do on a saturday instead of sitting home listening to the old lady biotch. A 15 year old can learn to judge if he is given the basic standards. There is nothing tough about that. Also Please define BIG DOG, because our one day comps are filled with successful BBQ teams. Also inexperienced cooks need to start somehwere as you once did, we beat the BIG DOGS at our first KCBS comp we never even cooked a brisket before and took 4th place out of 40 teams. This would be a fun even, wish you guys could make it but you are all the way in ohio.:mrgreen:

Back