Competition Sausage...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Swamprb and I have a tune up comp on May 17th and one of the items is sausage. My question for all you seasoned pros is this..."What do you usually turn in...links, patties, fatties, or something else"? Do you go for mild or spicy? We are doing about 20 lbs of pork sausage this Friday in 5 lb batches so I'm curious what to shoot for. Thanks Folks! :p

We judged the Royal last year, Tom and I were at seperate tables and I judged 7 entries, he did 6...and they were all slices of links. Most of them heated....one or two cold (by design as in a summer sausage) They varied on the spice scale but mostly had a strong flavor of some direction (one was sage and didnt make it to the back of my throat). When we compete with them, we turn in links, spicy just cause everything else around here has to taste like candy, especially the chicken!

We have done very well (top 5) numerous times with sweet Italian links, but we copped first place with a fatty. BUT... it was NOT yer regular KCBS garnish that time... it was 'open' garnish so we had some fun with it.

It's really up to you, what you think is yer best... good luck!

the links we did were always whole, with one sliced for presentation purposes.

I have done will with a meatloaf style fattie. I add eggs and bread crumbs to a coarser grind. It takes on alot of smoke flavor. But then again I have bombed with it too.

Thanks guys...looks like there is no norm for sausage. I guess we'll go with links and spicy...at least I think that's what we're doing...feel free to chime in here brian.

We have done very well (top 5) numerous times with sweet Italian links, but we copped first place with a fatty. BUT... it was NOT yer regular KCBS garnish that time... it was 'open' garnish so we had some fun with it.

It's really up to you, what you think is yer best... good luck!

the links we did were always whole, with one sliced for presentation purposes.
any pics, I am kinda wondering what you made it look like...:eek:

Hey JD,
Good Farking Luck with everything especially the sausage. The wife and I are going to try and make it to the Oregon one this week-end, not sure yet. We have a family dinner to do so won't be going to Seattle. I think Brian is judging in Oregon so I am looking to meet up with him.

I honestly thought the rest of the box could have looked better... I don't enjoy the red leaf... but the taste won 'em over...

Attachments

• DSC03807.jpg
    DSC03807.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 117
any pics, I am kinda wondering what you made it look like...:eek:

Pics to follow this evening or tomorrow after we make up the links. 20 lbs suddenly turned in to 37 lbs of sausage.:eek:

Hey JD,
Good Farking Luck with everything especially the sausage. The wife and I are going to try and make it to the Oregon one this week-end, not sure yet. We have a family dinner to do so won't be going to Seattle. I think Brian is judging in Oregon so I am looking to meet up with him.

Thanks Bro...good luck in Oregon! :p

I honestly thought the rest of the box could have looked better... I don't enjoy the red leaf... but the taste won 'em over...

I'd hit that! Looks great...nice job on the presentation. I think we're gonna stick to links.

I think red tip looks better in person
doesn't take a very good pic
yes that was mighty tasty :icon_blush:

Back