The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork Spare Ribs - Scarce (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169892)

stevek813 08-30-2013 03:07 PM

Pork Spare Ribs - Scarce

I just came back from a trip to both Sam's Club and Costco and there wasn't a single cryo-pack of untrimmed Pork Spare Ribs to be found at either of them.

It's very frustrating to only find these here and there at the big box club stores. I was able to get a nice pack of St. Louis ribs at Costco but I really was hoping to find untrimmed.

Do Sam's and Costco in different places have these all the time or is it hit and miss as it is here in Bloomingdale, IL (Chicago)?

MeatCandy 08-30-2013 03:16 PM

Here Costco is the same story...but a lot of grocery stores in the area sell Farmer John Spares in cryo packs...

stevek813 08-30-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatCandy (Post 2607537)
Here Costco is the same story...but a lot of grocery stores in the area sell Farmer John Spares in cryo packs...

Not here. Grocery stores nearby don't even have St. Louis Ribs on a regular basis let alone in a cryo pack.

Baby Backs are easy to get and I was always a Baby Back guy but I've pretty much given them up in favor of St. Louis Ribs. Just seem to like them better.

dummy que 08-30-2013 03:32 PM

scarse spares

SAMS usaley has a good supply of cryo. packs sometimes local bbq joint hits them hard and this being the last big holiday weekend supply may be short some meat dept. managers cut there orders clouse to avoide over stocks

dadsr4 08-30-2013 04:00 PM

If you have one nearby, try Gorden Food Service.

Ron_L 08-30-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek813 (Post 2607526)
I just came back from a trip to both Sam's Club and Costco and there wasn't a single cryo-pack of untrimmed Pork Spare Ribs to be found at either of them.

It's very frustrating to only find these here and there at the big box club stores. I was able to get a nice pack of St. Louis ribs at Costco but I really was hoping to find untrimmed.

Do Sam's and Costco in different places have these all the time or is it hit and miss as it is here in Bloomingdale, IL (Chicago)?

If you are a KCBS member you can get a day pass to Restaurant Depot. They always have plenty of spares.

Grillman 08-30-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek813 (Post 2607526)

This is very often what happens on a Holiday, I have made it a
habit to buy whatever meats I want, at least a week before
any Holiday or special event.

Bludawg 08-30-2013 05:30 PM

I can find them no problem but at 4.97 lb I'd like to tell them where they can cook 'em too. I remember when you could get 4 racks for 10.

landarc 08-30-2013 06:44 PM

Went to Cash and Carry today, no spares at all.

Bonewagon 08-30-2013 07:35 PM

Our local Sams had a bunch, but definitely less than they usually have. I just figured I got to them after the holiday rush bought most of what was available this morning.

IamMadMan 08-30-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2607654)
I can find them no problem but at 4.97 lb I'd like to tell them where they can cook 'em too. I remember when you could get 4 racks for 10.

Sadly those days are gone...

mau 08-30-2013 09:06 PM

I was just at Costco here on Wednesday they had plenty at $2.99 a lb. One trick I found is if you don't see what you want out, ask the guys at the meat counter, I get briskets there cryovac sealed they never put em out like that though but they tend to run on the high side price wise so only do it if I can't get to restaurant depot.

CigarHerb 08-30-2013 10:02 PM

SAMs here didn't have anything out either. Asked the guy in back, and they had several cases but no singles. I picked up a case

RevZiLLa 08-31-2013 12:32 AM

I'm tired of over trimmed St. Louis spares with the rib tips selling in the same case at a higher price than the spares...

rtboswell 08-31-2013 06:45 AM

I second the Restaurant Depot plug- I went yesterday and there were loads of spares, St. Louis cuts, bone-in pork butts, and anything else you'd probably want. And the prices were better than I've seen at Sam's or Costco. I got a 12.5 pound CAB Choice brisket, two ten pound butts, and a 3 pound rack of St. Louis cut ribs for like $65.