The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hail to the PooBah! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156779)

93vpmod 03-22-2013 11:58 AM

Hail to the PooBah!

I picked up a 12# brisket yesterday and thought about trying something a little different for a Sunday smoke.

While searching the site I came across the Dr. Pepper marinade recipe that is used by BBQchef33 in a thread. (This could be someone else's recipe...TK? and if so, proper attributes considered.) I believe that my 4 yr old son will be intrigued by the Dr. Pepper meat and give it a try.

Any cautions or suggestions appreciated.

Note to Bigabyte: Disclaimer-Post at your own risk, OP is not responsible for Qtalk threads moved to Woodpile! :noidea:

BBQchef33 03-22-2013 12:01 PM

Dr Pepper marinade! Thats what was all over my dogs head in the famous 'Farking Fwosooooshhhh". Havent done one of those in a while...

keep us posted on that... think it may need to be resurrected.

code3rrt 03-22-2013 12:06 PM

Would love to hear/see the results.

KC

tish 03-22-2013 12:39 PM

Following. Keep us posted, and get some good pron. Would love to see it. :wink:

Muscrat 03-22-2013 12:43 PM

I tried one with Big Red once, it was horrible.

Bludawg 03-22-2013 12:49 PM

Absolute waste of time money and effort and adds nothing IMO I tried it a few years back once was more than enough. Beef needs S&P and Fire!

AustinKnight 03-22-2013 01:32 PM

^^^ Both said it all.

Big George's BBQ 03-22-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 2418017)
Dr Pepper marinade! Thats what was all over my dogs head in the famous 'Farking Fwosooooshhhh". Havent done one of those in a while...

keep us posted on that... think it may need to be resurrected.

That was a great thread

bigabyte 03-22-2013 01:59 PM

Years ago I did both Dr. PEpper and Root Beer marinades. In each case I didn't think it added flavor so much as a certain indescribable something. I haven't done it in years, so that extra something isn't important, obviously.

93vpmod 03-22-2013 02:00 PM

Seems I should rethink this one...may also have to look up the other thread!

DownHomeQue 03-22-2013 02:18 PM

I haven't tried it... but i would encourage you to try it for yourself... and then taste it to see how u like it! i have injected with Pepsi before and i liked the results! also used pepsi as a mop when i wrapped.. on large cuts! to each his own.. Try it and see what happens! Why Not??? :icon_smil

BBQchef33 03-22-2013 02:30 PM

if i remember correctly, the base of the DrP marinade was Dr pepper, hot sauces and BBQ Sauce, then we all added our own touches... mine being loads of chopped garlic and some other stuff(onion, bay leaf,e tc). IMO, the marinade did a brisket good.. but its needs at least 24 hours.. but too long and it gets mushy. look up old threads from 2004-2005.. theres one in there that will show a brisket nearly disintergrated after 5 days in the marinade.

but what was important to note was the DrP(or any Coke) product contained phosphoric acid, which acted like a tenderizer, thus the variations using coke and rootbeer. At the time, this did not hold true for ANY of the diet products, or pepsi products. Shortly after(a year or 2), pepsi starting listing phosphoric acid in the ingredients too, and folks were using pepsi too.

i think the real idea back then was to marinade to tenderize. The coke definitely did something to the meat, as it was evident after a long >24 hour soak. The outside of the meat took on a different(softer) texture.. and the hots sauce gave it a twangy kick.. Its not a S&P brisket.. its different..

At this stage of my BBQ, I am definitely a proponent of the salt/pepper/garlic/cayenne.. and thats about it.. maybe a touch of lawrys.. but i think everyone should give the DrP marinades a shot at least once.

BobBrisket 03-22-2013 02:36 PM

Adding to what Phil said, I think it should be tried at least once. I tried it with brisket early on and there is a twang to it. Some chicken marinaded in Orange Crush is good too. But like others have said, they do a bit of a job on the texture and marinading. That being said, nowadays, some simple SnP, and some of the other powders like onion and garlic and maybe some cayenne will do it for me.

93vpmod 03-22-2013 02:40 PM

PooBah...just read the "Farking Fwooooshh" thread. Absolutely the funniest thing I have read in a while.

That top it off, I found that thread via the Tish "Murphy's Law" and the Caseydog "Great Stuffed Pepper" threads.

I have been laughing for 30 minutes and forgot that there is even basketball on, let alone that I should be working.

My hat is off to all those who have shared their stories!!!

Johnny_Crunch 03-22-2013 02:53 PM

Funny that I just dropped 3 in a Dr. Pepper marinade a few hours ago for comp tomorrow. I wanted to try something different. I will post the results.