The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any Egg owners with Stokers out there. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31573)

BBQ101 09-14-2007 05:56 AM

Any Egg owners with Stokers out there.

:?: I am about to buy my first Big Green Egg. I would like to hear from any Egg owners that use Stoker's. I have a Stoker and use it with my Fat Boy and with great results. I just want to know if it works as well with the Egg as it does the Fat Boy?
Thanks for your input.

thillin 09-14-2007 08:36 AM

I know some of the guys on the eggheadforum use them. You might ask there. I've run a 12 hour cook without touching it so far, had lots of lump left.

BBQ101 09-14-2007 10:07 AM

Thanks Thillin I have checked out many of the Egg forums and people seem to love both Stoker and Guru. I will order a extra fan and probes for the egg from Rock. I am looking forward to cooking on the Egg. Sounds like I will save a small fortune in charcoal savings.

vr6Cop 09-14-2007 12:48 PM

I don't know anything about the Stokers, so I obviously won't comment on it.

I have a BBQ Guru that I run my low & slows with, and I love it. I never have to mess with my fire, and it runs itself perfectly all night.

I have the one with the 4cfm blower on my large BGE, and it works great for me. A lot of people swear by the 10cfm model, but it seems like overkill to me. I've run a 20 hour cook with enough left over to do some chicken breasts the next night for supper.

Jeff Hughes 09-14-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ101 (Post 461879)
:?: I am about to buy my first Big Green Egg. I would like to hear from any Egg owners that use Stoker's. I have a Stoker and use it with my Fat Boy and with great results. I just want to know if it works as well with the Egg as it does the Fat Boy?
Thanks for your input.

You should try to run your Egg without the Stoker so you can see how easy the Egg holds temps.

But, yes the Stoker seems to be great on the Eggs...

swamprb 09-14-2007 09:08 PM

You might want to talk to Smitty the Smoker, he uses the Stoker with his Eggs and can likely answer any questions.

http://eggsbythebay.proboards70.com/...?board=general

Brian

BBQ101 09-15-2007 09:43 AM

Jeff
I plan on learning how to manage the fire on the BGE. I just like being able to sleep when doing over night cooks at home. I have never used my Stoker at comps because power is a issue here in Texas at some comps. Thanks for your advice I should have included the fact that I do not use the Stoker all the time.
Jeff Nice to find another Dead Head that still eats meat!
Brian
Nice link to a new Egg site I did not find yet Thanks.

Jeff Hughes 09-15-2007 11:31 AM

No insult intended on the fire control deal. Way too many new Eggers are dependent on Stokers and Gurus. I think they are great tools for experienced cooks.

You will love your Egg. In many ways it will cook a lot like your Backwoods.

I saw about 50 shows in the early to mid eighties. All my old buds from those days eat my cooking...

vr6Cop 09-15-2007 01:31 PM

I was always afraid of charcoal grills until my egg, because I never could figure out fire control. The egg is soooooooo easy it's pathetic.

Daisy wheel open to slivers, bottom open about an inch or less should keep you at 240 dome temp until you run out of lump. The grill sitting on the plate setter should run at about 220. The grid extender will be a little higher, closer to 235-240.

Daisy wheel fully open, and slid over a tad to give a sliver on the main opening, and the lower open all the way will give around 375-400 dome.

Of course, all this depends on your lump and the amount of ash buildup in your egg. So results may vary. Disclaimer mod. :razz:

BBQ101 09-16-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes (Post 462632)
No insult intended on the fire control deal. Way too many new Eggers are dependent on Stokers and Gurus. I think they are great tools for experienced cooks.

You will love your Egg. In many ways it will cook a lot like your Backwoods.

I saw about 50 shows in the early to mid eighties. All my old buds from those days eat my cooking...

Never took it as a insult. I had about 90 shows before Jerry passed away.

I will have many question for you all when I get my BGE Thanks in advance.

swamprb 09-16-2007 09:55 PM

I was ready to pull the trigger on the new Digi Q controller from Guru, but I want to see Smitty's Stoker setup for his Eggs next weekend. I'm still having low temp (220-250*) issues. I may have to put some High Temp silicone gasket around the slide draft, that's the only thing I can think of thats letting more air in?

Do you guys ever tune into the Grateful Dead Hour with David Ganz?

Brian

Jeff Hughes 09-16-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb (Post 463679)

Do you guys ever tune into the Grateful Dead Hour with David Ganz?

Brian

I'm all ears, what is it...

Rick's Tropical Delight 09-16-2007 10:02 PM

you will see me smoking with a stoker very soon...
check this out:

http://www.rocksbarbque.com/Rolling.html

:biggrin:

swamprb 09-16-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes (Post 463691)
I'm all ears, what is it...

A syndicated non-commercial Dead related show on my local CC station with an hour of local DJ Dead jams. Bellevue WA Sunday 8PM www.kbcs.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight (Post 463693)
you will see me smoking with a stoker very soon...
check this out:

http://www.rocksbarbque.com/Rolling.html

:biggrin:

I'm in a holding pattern!

Brian