The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   backwoods (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153304)

schmitty28 02-06-2013 11:06 PM

backwoods

can someone explain to me how the heat source gets to the meat on a backwoods does the heat go around the perimeter of the water pan is this used as a heat diverter and why are the exhaust holes so low in the cook chamber read somewhere these were reverse flow how? (drawing, Diagram, website ,link)

Fireburd 02-07-2013 04:24 AM

You were right the first time. The heat hits the water pan and moves to the back of the cooker where it rises to the top of the chamber. It then banks down from the top of the chamber down to the exhaust holes located just above the water pan and then out the stove pipe. Now if you add a heat diverter it works the same except you protect your water pan and save burning through so much water.

BigBellyBBQ 02-07-2013 05:39 AM

actually the heat / smoke travel on the outside perimeter of the cooking chamber and enters at the top of cooking chamber on 3 sides, (left-right-rear) with the exhaust from the holes at bottom rear.
you also have the heat rising from the water tray area, but the bottom racks the meat will not have a bark on them, too close to the water
On my fat girl, the toprack runs about 20* hotter than the bottom

smokinit 02-07-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ (Post 2357884)
actually the heat / smoke travel on the outside perimeter of the cooking chamber and enters at the top of cooking chamber on 3 sides, (left-right-rear) with the exhaust from the holes at bottom rear.
you also have the heat rising from the water tray area, but the bottom racks the meat will not have a bark on them, too close to the water
On my fat girl, the toprack runs about 20* hotter than the bottom

Thats it:clap:

BigBellyBBQ 02-07-2013 09:41 AM

Hi Purple...2 things
1) I see you are a Backwoods dealer, any stainless racks available? I can make them up, however....
2) I was thinkiing about the April cookoff down your way, and looking someone to cook with, any takers?

smokinit 02-07-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ (Post 2358040)
Hi Purple...2 things
1) I see you are a Backwoods dealer, any stainless racks available? I can make them up, however....
2) I was thinkiing about the April cookoff down your way, and looking someone to cook with, any takers?

Hey man sorry no SS racks just the round bar chrome. Which cook off are you referring to?

BigBellyBBQ 02-07-2013 11:11 AM

Brentwood.....I want to go end to end of New York...I am on the shore of Lake Erie...about 550 miles I think..never been down there..I have a tuff time in trafic..my town has about 10,000 people and the only trafic jam is when a train rolls through then a jam almost 7 cars deep!!! Or when the geese, deer and turkeys cross the road..last summer while I was waiting for the train...two spoted fawns crossed and would not move..and the darn train was gone!!