• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Head Country BBQ Sauce

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm a huge Blues Hog fan.... and I am wondering how Head Country compares? I am thinking about ordering a bottle, but I thought I would check with you all to see if I am just setting myself up for disappointment? :p

Head Country Hot is my favorite sauce. I got some BH but it was just too sweet for me. So I mixed it with HCH and both taste even better.

Head Country Hot is my favorite sauce. I got some BH but it was just too sweet for me. So I mixed it with HCH and both taste even better.

Yeah, I agree with Smoothsmoke's assessment. If you like Blues Hog sauces, Head Country probably won't be sweet enough for ya.

The have a gift pack that has 3 of their sauces in it. I may pick it up just to give it a shot... and I can play around with mixing with BH

You've mentioned two of my favorites -- I use Blues Hog very lightly because it is so sweet, but it has a follow-on flavor that is fabulous and stays on the tongue. Head Country has an initial bite with interesting depth of flavor. I couldn't get along without both. I think the secret to sauce use is moderation and lots of it. I love good sauce, but both of these can be over-applied.

I am a big fan of Head Country sauce.

I also do as mentioned above and mix it with BH......great combo.

F Y I: Head Country uses smoke flavorings. For a smoke flavored sauce (of which
I'm not a particular fan) it's very good.

Blues Hog is OK, but it's too sweet and a bit too "distinctive" in flavor for my
taste. I'd take Head Country over it any day.

John

HC is pretty sweet, IMO, though not as sweet as BH. Another sauce that is similar to HC but not quite as sweet to my taste is Big Bob Gibson's red sauce.

Not a big fan of sweet sauces, Head Country Original is one of my favorite store bought sauces. Stubbs Original is second.

Thanks guys... I just ordered some and I will try it out!

HC and BH are very different styles of sauce and are good in their own way. To me HC original is a traditional type of sauce, not too much of anything and very good w/beef and chicken. BH original IMO is very sweet with it's own unique flavor that's IMO best on pork and maybe chicken. BH has a very silky texture that's nice.

I like the HC/BH (Headge Hog?) mixed at about 1/3 BH:2/3 HC; seems like a nice all purpose sauce (though I prefer Hayward's for brisket).

Me and the family prefer Head Country. Sams carries gallon jugs.

Back