weber gold vs. silver

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 22" weber grill. I can't decide between the gold or the silver. Is the ash catcher really worth an extra $50 or more? home depot sells the hinged grate for $18. I know the gold also comes in colors, but if that doesn't matter, is the gold really that much nicer?

Thanks
Jason

Color doesn't matter? Where have you been? That's like saying a red thermapen is not faster than a yellow one.:becky:

thermapen

well that would just be silly. It's well known the yellow is the fastest. No need to restate it.

Jason

In my mind it is safer in that any ash/hot embers that fall are contained in the catcher and not free to blow around.

Safety is worth something.

I will only buy them if they have the ash catcher. But, thats just my opinion. Check craigslist for the weber bargains. Why buy new when used will do?

It's worth the extra money to get the gold, in my opinion. Easy clean up, and a stiff breeze won't blow ash all over your yard.

If I had to do it all over again (and I will one day) I'd still spend the extra money and get the gold. I've cooked on both and the ash catcher and hinged grate are worth it.

I've got both and I agree. The ash catcher pan is worth it. An the hinged grate is absolutely essential. Unless something falls on it, it will last 15 years at least. I keep mine outside 365 days a year. (I even use it almost weekly in the winter--one boy shovels the front walk, the other the back deck so we can grill year round)

I would go with buying on craigslist as well. I have the gold, with the ash catcher and to be honest. I wish they didn't sell me on this...

All you need is to buy used on craigslist burn it up a bit, get new grates if need be, and buy a clay pot to catch the cash.
That's what I would of done. Hope this helps

keep grillin

Had the gold, have a silver and a 3-wheeler. The ash catcher isn't worth the extra money to me, but then I buy my Webers off craigslist.

I scored my Silver off of the Craigslist (used only ONCE, because her "husband then told me he really wanted a gas grill instead") for a ridiculously low price- we're using foil roaster pans from the dollar store as an ash catcher. Works well, and we've been really happy with it! I'd *love* to get the hinged grate, but you can pick those up on Amazon for about 12 bucks...in short, for us, the ash can isn't a big deal; gettin' a big bargain is. :-D

I got the silver cause I could care less if the wind blows ash on my yard, My uncle got the gold cause he cooks on his wooden deck and apparently doesnt want hot embers blowing all over it....

(red is faster)

Color doesn't matter? Where have you been? That's like saying a red thermapen is not faster than a yellow one.:becky:

Hey, watch it pal, my Corvette Yellow Thermapen will blow the degrees right off your Chevette Red one any brisket!!! :p

I have a free Silver, black and a $40 Maroon Performer which has the ash catcher. The hinged grate is on both. Personally, I prefer the ash catcher. The ash pan on the Silver has a tendency to fall to the ground when the legs fall off when moving the grill. Go the extra few bucks and get the Gold.

Go for the Silver. With the money you save, buy a hinged grate and do the bucket mod, then go buy some meat to grill. You will still have some left over.

I spent all weekend cookin on my silver. I was using the trader joes hardwood charcoal and ash was making a hefty pile at the base. I noticed the grill was leaning and when I looked down, the hot ash had melted one of my wheels. Now I have it propped up with a brick.:becky:

Back