Briket / Pastrami

T

Temeque BBQ

Saw this at Costco, had to try it in my smoker. Anyone smoked one of these, if so do you have any advice. Thanks

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 128
I always soak mine in plain water for 24-36 hours to help eliminate some of the saltiness. I also change out the water 2-3 times a day

I've never used that brand, but I make pastrami from store-bought corned beef all of the time. There is a Google search near the bottom of every page of the forum that searches just BBQ Brethren.com. Search 'pastrami' and you have enough reading to keep you busy for a couple of days :-D

I agree with the member formerly know as slapyomommabbq :becky: on soaking to remove some of the salt.

If you don't have one to three days to spend on the soaking try tossing two halves of a potato in the water (it helps absorb the salt) ever time you change it. You should change the water every 4 to 6 hours.

I've been using store bought corned beef (brisket and rounds) for years... My friends are starting to drop hints about getting some pastrami for St. Patrick's Day.
0a48bf36.gif
.... As in, they buy it and I smoke it.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the situation. Sam's has the best value and quality with the Grobels brand they carry, so I will insist on using that brand over one that only surfaces for St Patrick's Day. I would probably trust them to do the soak-out at their homes, but they would have to make a special trip to drop it off the day before so I could season and rest it. I would have to bring one of my BDS's home from the shop, which would allow me to smoke 6 or 7 of them. I could just do the foil finish, which I like..... but I like the pressure finish more. I have a couple of pressure cookers, so that would help. Then I'd have to arrange for folks to stop by, unless I opted to deliver it. Sheesh.

So, I'll either do the whole shooting match... buy it, soak it, season & rest, smoke, finish, and deliver. OR, I'll just go fishing. Heheheee.

Speaking of advice, I have a page on my site (link is below) dedicated to Pastrami using store bought corned products.

In addition to soaking...

I've done a couple of these recently. I like to rub em with a pepper heavy, salt-free dry rub (pastrami style). I did one fully encrusted in freshly ground pepper and it was so hot I could hardly stand it. Otherwise I usually smoke em just like any other brisky. I have also overcooked one on accident and it turned out great b/c it pulled right into hash for taters and sauerkraut. I don't like to foil these either b/c mine have turned out moist and I like a gnarly crust. Good luck. Hope your first one turns out good!

I've been wanting to make pastrami with one of these for a while. I stopped by the grocery store and picked one up. Will have to do more reading about it.

I've been using store bought corned beef (brisket and rounds) for years... My friends are starting to drop hints about getting some pastrami for St. Patrick's Day.
0a48bf36.gif
.... As in, they buy it and I smoke it.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the situation. Sam's has the best value and quality with the Grobels brand they carry, so I will insist on using that brand over one that only surfaces for St Patrick's Day. I would probably trust them to do the soak-out at their homes, but they would have to make a special trip to drop it off the day before so I could season and rest it. I would have to bring one of my BDS's home from the shop, which would allow me to smoke 6 or 7 of them. I could just do the foil finish, which I like..... but I like the pressure finish more. I have a couple of pressure cookers, so that would help. Then I'd have to arrange for folks to stop by, unless I opted to deliver it. Sheesh.

So, I'll either do the whole shooting match... buy it, soak it, season & rest, smoke, finish, and deliver. OR, I'll just go fishing. Heheheee.

Speaking of advice, I have a page on my site (link is below) dedicated to Pastrami using store bought corned products.

The pressure cooker finish that 3rdEye prescribes is fantastic. I've done them that way a couple of times and will continue to.

When you guys pressure finish, do you usually do it till a sliceable (deli style pastrami) or to a pullable/smashable finish?

I use a meat slicer set to very thin, deli style.

When you guys pressure finish, do you usually do it till a sliceable (deli style pastrami) or to a pullable/smashable finish?

I shoot for a very tender, yet still sliceable pastrami. The pressure finish gives me that, plus a moisture factor that is similar to a steamed finish.

DSC00726a.jpg

DSC06750JPGaajpgaaaa.jpg

Back