Stats on my pig...

superdan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all!
Thought you guys may be interested in this. My buddies and I usually raise some pigs at his hobby farm. We've never really tracked what it cost us before but this year I figured I'd get all the info. We ended up doing three pigs and here's the final tally. As a recreational pig farmer I found it pretty interesting.
I'll say this, the fresh meat off a Berkshire pig is like nothing I've ever had before. It's sooooo good.
Here's the scoop:

Carcass weight: 168 pounds – Estimated live weight 250-275 pounds.

Total cost $607:
~700 lbs feed.
1 Berkshire piglet
Slaughter service
Processing
Pipes and nipples for water install
New electric fence wire

Total pounds of meat brought home: 129

$607 for 129LB = 4.70/LB

21 pounds - 36 pork chops (4 are double thick)

25 pounds - ground sausage

21 pounds – belly bacon

40 pounds – ham

3 pounds – jowl bacon

5 pounds – spare ribs

12 pounds – pork butt

2 pounds – sirloin roast (pork tri-tip)

If there was one thing I learned from when I used to fly planes regularly, never, ever calculate the cost of a hobby.

But in all honesty, $4.70 average per pound for all that really isn't bad. Interesting stats. Thanks for sharing them.

If there was one thing I learned from when I used to fly planes regularly, never, ever calculate the cost of a hobby.

But in all honesty, $4.70 average per pound for all that really isn't bad. Interesting stats. Thanks for sharing them.

Sage advice indeed! Like I once told my buddy, if I only did things that made sense I wouldn't have any fun at all!

It is easier to swallow when you fly with other peoples (or the governments) money. That said $4.70 overall is an interesting average, thanks for the breakdown.

Not a bad price really with slaughter and processing.
Also the next will be a bit less.
No need for fence and the water supply to be bought again.
Also feed cost will go down a bit I'd imagine as grain isn't going for as much this year.
Also the great bonus of knowing what went into the food you eat is priceless

Very interesting post......thanks for doing this. Over what time was the process? About how big was the piglet? Just curious as to how fast these suckers grow from piglet to 250 pounds.

Was it totally purchased feed or were you able to get scraps or other low cost food for the pigs? Where I used to live a hold out farmer used to get outdated molk from a local dairy for his pigs. It got pretty Potent when it ripened but I guess the pigs liked it and it would reduce costs. (I describe him as hold out because the subdivision grew up around his farm.)

I used all commercial feed. I actually buy it at the grocery store. It's by associated feed called MeatMaker. It runs about 15 bucks for a 50 pound bag.
The piglet was about 6 weeks old and maybe 30 pounds when I got him. The heritage pigs are kinda pricey at $125 but I really like them. I know a guy who sells standard piglets for like $50 that I'll try someday.
They are ready for slaughter at about 6 months old.
Pigs are super easy to do and a short term project!

I just love that you know exactly where your meat is coming from, and what went into the process. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting this.
Interesting indeed.

I'm curious.....now that you've done the math......would you say it was worth it?

I used all commercial feed. I actually buy it at the grocery store. It's by associated feed called MeatMaker. It runs about 15 bucks for a 50 pound bag.
The piglet was about 6 weeks old and maybe 30 pounds when I got him. The heritage pigs are kinda pricey at $125 but I really like them. I know a guy who sells standard piglets for like $50 that I'll try someday.
They are ready for slaughter at about 6 months old.
Pigs are super easy to do and a short term project!

I'm not sure what's available in your area. I get pig feed special blended from a grain elevator. It runs about $15 for 100lbs. You can have them blend it any way you like.
I also feed scraps, extra eggs from the hens and garden scraps.
Great job on yours! Nothing beats raising your own. :cool: :thumb:

Enjoy every bite of it. There is no way to put a price on knowing how the animal was raised and slaughtered! Good job (and thanks for the info.) :-D

We butcher each year. We just buy them from a pig farmer we know for $220 each for a 250# butcher hog. The meat breakdown I got from mine was:
23# sausage
17.5# brats
28.8# chops
about 20# bellies
5 # ribs
29.5 # roast (23 butt, 6.5 picnic)
Hams 35#
Broke down to $1.37 per pond of pork recovered

We butcher each year. We just buy them from a pig farmer we know for $220 each for a 250# butcher hog. The meat breakdown I got from mine was:
23# sausage
17.5# brats
28.8# chops
about 20# bellies
5 # ribs
29.5 # roast (23 butt, 6.5 picnic)
Hams 35#
Broke down to $1.37 per pond of pork recovered

I saw your thread... That's a screaming deal. And you guys got a killer setup too.

I'll still do it again next year though ;)

Thanks for the info and window on production data. Let me put in a plug your local community agricultural fair for folks that don't have the resources to raise your own. Unknown to most folks FFA & 4H kids that show hogs & steers are required to keep record books with all the info Superdan has itemized plus a lot more. These animals are usually raised to premium standards of feed and care, well worth visiting a show and sale auction, some of the best pork & beef you will ever gt.

Thanks for the info and window on production data. Let me put in a plug your local community agricultural fair for folks that don't have the resources to raise your own. Unknown to most folks FFA & 4H kids that show hogs & steers are required to keep record books with all the info Superdan has itemized plus a lot more. These animals are usually raised to premium standards of feed and care, well worth visiting a show and sale auction, some of the best pork & beef you will ever gt.

This is the absolute truth. If I didn't raise my own this is the approach I would take. An old friend of mine goes this route and it's a win-win for all involved!

You can reduce your cost per pound if you "enhanced" the meat with a saline solution.:shocked:
Salt water doesn't cost much for the weight it adds.:wink:

Last edited:
Back