The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   3 Rubs, 1 Sauce, 6 Ribs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22225)

Plowboy 11-29-2006 01:08 AM

3 Rubs, 1 Sauce, 6 Ribs

3 Attachment(s)
I wanted to try some new commercial rubs and the Blues Hog Honey Mustard sauce on some ribs. This was my first baby back cook on the 075. Started with 2 hours 100% Pecan, then to Apple, then finished with Oak. Took three whole slabs and split into six half racks.

Rack 1 - Slabs Kyle Style Rub
Rack 2 - Slabs Kyle Style Rub & BoneSmokers 13 Pepper Rub (ran through my spice grinder)
Rack 3 - Butt Rub

Racks 4, 5, & 6 were the same as 1-3 but glazed at the end with Blues Hog Honey Mustard sauce.

Straight off, these were the worst baby backs I've ever cooked in my life. It was the cook and not the products. I smoked at about 225-250 for 5 1/2 hours. Normally, our ribs on the big cookers go about 6 hours. These were so dry and overcooked I couldn't believe it. I wrapped at 4 hours, too. The 075 seems to have shorter cook times than I'm used to. Still figuring out this cooker. I can't mess up poultry on it. Dunno.

Wife and I both liked the Kyle Style. For commercial rubs, I still like Blues Hog and Smoking Guns Hot on my ribs. The Slabs Kyle Style is great on chicken.

I was conservative with the BoneSmokers and it was still pretty hot. Would be great with some beers. Wife doesn't do hot, so it wasn't her favorite. I can see where it would be great on wings like Dr BBQ has said.

Neither of us liked Butt Rub. It didn't taste like anything, and I'm liberal with my rub if I know it isn't a hot rub. Wife called it bland. I would have to agree.

The Blues Hog Honey Mustard sauce would good. I wouldn't use it for comp and still prefer the original BH. However, I like mustard sauces and find this one unique. For ribs, I can see using it for a variety platter of different ribs: dry, sweet sauced, mustard sauced, etc. I've been using it on my leftover Thanksgiving fatties. Really like it on sausage.

So, nothing changed our lives. The only thing we didn't like was the Butt Rub. BH Honey Mustard is nice for an occasional change of pace. Slabs Kyle style is preferred on chicken & turkey. (I used it on the Thanksgiving bird and it was great.) Bonesmokers 13 pepper is a great way to heat something up. That big shaker is going to last me about 5 years, I think.

Plowboy 11-29-2006 01:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Michael liked them. He's a big honey mustard fan, too. Likes it on his chicken nuggets.

Single Fin Smoker 11-29-2006 03:24 AM

Ummmmm, I'm with Michael Mr. Plow. He and the dog and I could sit there all nite and wear them bad boys all over our faces. Those ribs look damn good to me. I'm not anti sauce or anything, but the pre-sauce pics look like they were juicy enough.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding sauced or unsauced ribs. I always make extra on the side for those that do. However, its good to leave one or two racks without so that we can taste your apple-pecan-oak finish.

Nice pics Sir

PS I still don't know what a fatty is, and yes I am intimidated to ever try makin one.

tjus77 11-29-2006 07:19 AM

They sure looked good! And Single Fin, fatties are sooooo easy. To try one, just unwrap it and stick it in the pit (if you have a favorite rub, but it on, but not necessary). It is soooo good, even without the stuffing, if you like pan fried fatties, you will love them smoked.

Jeff_in_KC 11-29-2006 08:20 AM

Todd, which Slabs rub did you use on your chicken? The pork or beef? I didn't realize they had a chicken rub. I never thought to use either of these on chicken. We quit using Slabs "Perk Up Your Pork" on ribs because they never scored well. Switched to a sweeter rub and have done better and got better compliments. We still use the Slabs rub on pork butts.

Arlin_MacRae 11-29-2006 08:30 AM

BBQ and a sippy cup!! Now THAT'S bringing up kids right! :-P

Todd, I'm with Jeff: those ribs don't look too dry to me - they look great! But you were there and I wasn't. 8)

I usually only cook BB's for 4 hours at that temperature, using the 2-1-1 method. I tried to speed-cook the last racks and bumped the heat to 300° or so, and I dried them out, too! Do you have a steamer? We popped those dried out leftover ribs in the steamer for 20 minutes and they were resurrected!

Arlin

Plowboy 11-29-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Todd, which Slabs rub did you use on your chicken? The pork or beef? I didn't realize they had a chicken rub. I never thought to use either of these on chicken. We quit using Slabs "Perk Up Your Pork" on ribs because they never scored well. Switched to a sweeter rub and have done better and got better compliments. We still use the Slabs rub on pork butts.

They only have two rubs. This was the Perk Up Your Pork. Its a good rub, but I can see why it wouldn't do well at comp on ribs. It just isn't distinctive enough. Now, chicken may be a different story, dunno. To me, you can't beat Smoking Guns Hot for dry ribs. However, I've not tried Spicewine rubs. Kinda have high expectations for that one based on reaction from others and recent comp success.

Bigmista 11-29-2006 09:57 AM

Can't comment on baby backs because I have only cooked them once at the Mecca Bash earlier this year. Yours look good with out the sauce. 6 hours seems like a long time to cook baby backs from what I have heard though.

Plowboy 11-29-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
Can't comment on baby backs because I have only cooked them once at the Mecca Bash earlier this year. Yours look good with out the sauce. 6 hours seems like a long time to cook baby backs from what I have heard though.

We've cooked hundreds of them that way, but on other cookers. Spliting them in half racks may have shortened the cook, too.

Bigmista 11-29-2006 10:00 AM

You're right. More surface area = shorter cooking time.

Q_Egg 11-29-2006 10:03 AM

ribs look great on 075 and after .... BUT .. while
I do like to glaze at the end, I use very little. This post is good for me since all my rib experience is on the BGE, but the next will definitely be on the Traeger. I will really be watching and checking for doneness ( lifting and bending ) early to avoid drying out. I have had very good results using Spicewine's Hen-N-Hog Dust and glazing with his Blue Collar sauce. It will be interesting to 'test' the Blues Hog just for a little education.
Thanks for the pics also.

Plowboy 11-29-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q_Egg
ribs look great on 075 and after .... BUT .. while
I do like to glaze at the end, I use very little. This post is good for me since all my rib experience is on the BGE, but the next will definitely be on the Traeger. I will really be watching and checking for doneness ( lifting and bending ) early to avoid drying out. I have had very good results using Spicewine's Hen-N-Hog Dust and glazing with his Blue Collar sauce. It will be interesting to 'test' the Blues Hog just for a little education.
Thanks for the pics also.

Tom,

Mix and match the BH and SW rubs and sauces and let me know what you think.

Todd

Spydermike72 11-29-2006 11:00 AM

Plow, I love Mustard Base sauces. Especially on chicken. I dont know that I would ever try it at a comp, but I love it at home. I am know going to try the BH sauce. Thanks for the updates.

Single Fin Smoker 11-29-2006 01:15 PM

Alright Mr. tjus77 from Tomball TX. I'm gonna do it for tommorows smoke.
What temp and how long do these things cook for?

Ron_L 11-29-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker
Alright Mr. tjus77 from Tomball TX. I'm gonna do it for tommorows smoke.
What temp and how long do these things cook for?

Whatever temp your cooking at is fine, and cook until the fatty is 165 internal. Probably three hours at 225 degrees.