The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bottle wine (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36846)

bajamike560 01-28-2008 10:56 PM

Bottle wine

I am using wine a bit more for my pan/reduction sauce and a finish reduction glaze for grub off of the grill. We are not wine drinker's much and was wondering about the shelf life and should they be kept in the fridge???

Thanks, mike.

Papa Hogg 01-29-2008 08:18 AM

I would suggest you buy the tiny bottles that come in a 4 pk, I believe it is Sutter Home & each bottle is about = to a cup (187 ml). I use these quite often for cooking, if I'm not drinking.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...08/187wine.jpg

parrothead 01-29-2008 10:27 AM

I leave my reds set on the counter for long periods of time with a stopper in them. No problems so far.

WineMaster 01-29-2008 12:31 PM

Get a Vacu Vin

They take the air out so the wine doesnt Oxidize as rapidly.

Cooter 01-29-2008 12:37 PM

Sorry, but this is one of those "how long is a string?" questions. There are too many variables and not enough info to give a dependable answer.

Oxygen is not a friend of wine. Wine doesn't like bright light very much either. Recork it and put it in a cool (50-55° F), dark place. 60+% humidity is ideal, too dry and the cork will dry out, shrink and let oxygen in.

Here's the fun part – It's up to you when it's bad. What may be undrinkable to you may be just the way I like it. When wine goes bad it loses it's flavor and aroma, eventually it will turn to vinegar.

Open the bottle and take a sniff. If it smells OK, then take a little sip. If it tastes OK, then use it or drink it. DO NOT cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. If I'm going to cook with wine I always have a small glass while I'm cooking (quality control).

One bottle of opened wine could last weeks or months before you find it undrinkable. While another bottle of the same wine is undrinkable as soon as you open it. Wineries lose 1-2% of bottled wine because of bad corks. I've bought wine from the winery and it was bad 4 hours later when we opened it for dinner. I've also forgotten wine for months after I opened it, it was still very drinkable.

There are all kinds of gadgets to help recork wine, but I know none of the brethren like gadgets so I won't go into them here.

Stored properly some reds will improve with age, but most are RTD (ready to drink) when you buy them. Whites and roses are RTD and rarely improve with age.

Putting it in the fridge will slow the process, but could cause deposits to develop in the wine over time.

Bottom line – There are few things that can happen to a wine that will be dangerous to you, but many that might make it unpleasant. It's up to you to decide.

Transformer BBQ 01-29-2008 04:12 PM

If you just use it for cooking, there are some decent (ouch) boxed wines. Many are vacuum sealed which prevents light and air from being in contact with the wine... and will allow you to use as little or as much as you want for cooking. Suprizingly these can hold as much as 3 bottles worth in one container, so for the $20 you could be fine for a long time. There is a brand that is slipping my mind right now... Black box... that is pretty decent for this purpose.

bajamike560 01-29-2008 11:03 PM

Thank's for the great reply's.
I will take a snort for quality controll. :-D
The main reason for the question is because I purchased a big bottle of mondavi merlot (sponser for the PBS cooking show I watch on Saturday's, so I figured I would help out the sponser's) and it is a larger bottle than I purchas normally. I keep the cork in it with no sun light and just the heat from the house, used it tonight and wwwaas ooookkk III tthinnnnkkk...:mrgreen:
The whole cheese and wine thing came to me when we (with the inlaws) went on a quick tasting tour thru the Columbia river gorge (here in Wash state) A couple of year's ago, really opened up my eye's on how the flaver's go together and the way thing's work, just another page in the food working process.....

Mike

Rockaway BeachBQ 01-31-2008 01:25 PM

I like to keep a box of Burgundy on the counter for cooking or the occasional glass. Box wine tends to be relatively flat tasting, I cannot recommend one over the other. I also highly recommend the vacuvin, but I tend to try and finish a bottle within a week or two.

Jeremiah 01-31-2008 04:17 PM

http://www.dtourwine.com/

I bought a lot of this when it came out, worked out to about ~9 per 750ml. Pretty damn good stuff for the price. If you see it anywhere I'd pick it up, it's still drinking just fine.