The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   For the Board (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Restaurant Depot Issues (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76773)

BogsBBQ 01-23-2010 05:18 PM

Restaurant Depot Issues

I went to a Restaurant Depot today here in New England to get a membership under the KCBS account. Here is the exchange I had with them:

ME: I'd like to be added to the Kansas City Barbeque Society's account. Here is my KCBS membership card and here is the access number. RESTDEPOT: Ok, let me look that up. Looks like Carolyn Wells and Gene Goy[unintelligible] are on the account. Me: Yes, that's the correct account. RD: Ok, for you to be added as a member, they need to send me a letter confirming that your name be added to the account. They can fax it, that would be fine. Me: My understanding based on the KCBS website and newsletter is that I simply need to show you my membership card and the access number and I can be added to the KCBS account and get an RD membership card. RD: That's not the way it works. We need to see it in writing from Carolyn or Gene that your name can be added to the account. Did they originally sign up with this store? Me: No. RD: Well, I can't give you a card without their permission. Me: This is a member benefit that KCBS is offering. Other people that I know have signed up at other locations with their KCBS memberships. I'm sure there must just be some disconnect with this location. [At this point, the woman was frustrated and asked the manager to step in and talk to me.] RDManager: So tell me what you want. Me: KCBS is advertising, on their website and in their newsletter, that all members can sign up for RD memberships. They have over 10,000 members, and I am one of them. I'm simply following the instructions on their website to get my RD card. RDManager: [Puzzled look on his face.] I don't have piles of membership cards laying around to give away to everyone. We wouldn't do that.

They basically refused to give me a card using the KCBS info and I was tired of trying to explain it.

There is a major disconnect, either between KCBS and RD or internally between RD Corporate and their individual stores. In any case, it's extremely frustrating to follow the KCBS instructions and not get a card under their account. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

timzcardz 01-23-2010 05:45 PM

See the post here for help:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=17

BogsBBQ 01-23-2010 05:56 PM

Thanks for the link, but I don't need help. I got a card...just not through KCBS.

I don't think KCBS should be reactive about this. I think they should be proactive and see what they can do to help solve the disconnect before members get frustrated. If I didn't get a card, I would have been mad that I drove 45 minutes each way for nothing.

Ron_L 01-23-2010 07:19 PM

It seems to be specific to either the RD location of the person behind the counter. I walked in to the local RD today and told the lady that I came to pick up a card. She asked the business name and I told her Kansas City BBQ Society and I showed her the info on the KCBS web site on my iPhone. Less than five minutes later I had a card that says Kansas City Barbecue on the back.

BBQ Grail 01-23-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1154595)
It seems to be specific to either the RD location of the person behind the counter. I walked in to the local RD today and told the lady that I came to pick up a card. She asked the business name and I told her Kansas City BBQ Society and I showed her the info on the KCBS web site on my iPhone. Less than five minutes later I had a card that says Kansas City Barbecue on the back.

I had no problem here in California!

In my opinion the disconnect is the RD not informing their stores of the policy they agreed with. It's really RD that should be solving this problem. If what happened to BoggsBBQ had happened to me I would have called RD.

swamprb 01-23-2010 07:37 PM

No problemo in the Seattle area!

I brought the Bullsheet and showed them the article and they thought it was a great incentive, made a copy for their files and I was on my way.

BogsBBQ 01-23-2010 08:23 PM

I'm glad for everyone who didn't have problems. That's the way it should be.

I shouldn't need a copy of the Bullsheet, an iPhone, etc. to get a membership...at least not according to what KCBS has said. I agree that the issue is most likely with individual RD locations. But if I was the person at KCBS in charge of coordinating this member benefit with RD, you bet your arse I'd be on the horn with RD giving them a piece of my mind and telling them to educate their employees before more KCBS members are hassled by RD employees. I'm not the only person having this issue.

Coz 01-23-2010 08:46 PM

When we went to Milwaukee RD we were told we could get day passes no hard card.We had a weekend manager who knew nothing about this and I wasnt impressed with what they had anyway .I am going to go back more towards summer and see if it looks better.

BogsBBQ 01-23-2010 09:36 PM

At a different RD location in New England, they told me they were "out of cards, but more should be coming in tomorrow." That happened to me on three separate visits with the exact same excuse. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

HoDeDo 01-24-2010 09:17 AM

Bogs - It may have been how you asked..... you actually are not joining the KCBS account. You are are getting your OWN account, utilizing your KCBS affiliation.

I believe your guy was correct that you would need a letter of authorization to be added to the "KCBS Account". But opening your own, with a KCBS member number is different. I know it is just semantics, but the folks behind those counters only follow processes and rules.... if you start down the wrong path (they went looking up an existing account - which has a set of rules for what you can do if you are not on it) then you end up at a dead end.

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience... but I am betting it stems from just the simple semantics of your request.

thenewguy 01-24-2010 05:30 PM

That was what I was reading into too Andy. Bogs, the way you stated this you were wanting to be physically on their account- I don't want no part of that-then you're also liable for any outstanding balance,imo.
We don't even have a RD around here so I don't know what I'm missing but, can't you guys just get your own membership with a few connections,ie a business account that you build? My team has an account here and there,which is what I use when catering.

Yakfishingfool 01-24-2010 08:21 PM

I got one with the KCBS acoount number after a lengthy conversation with a very cooperative young lady. ended up getting it under Oh It'z BBQ. Scott

mgwerks 01-24-2010 11:37 PM

My experience was somewhat akin to yours, except for the ending. I'm not sure that RD corporate even told their locations about the deal - after I educated the desk staff and manager about the program, and showed them the BullSheet, it was a done deal. Honestly, I think the manager called someone at the home office, because there was a 5 minute delay in the process. Now if it weren't an hour away...

OBTW - anyone seen pork bellies at RD? I forgot to look... :oops:

RobKC 01-25-2010 08:57 AM

The RD in KC has pork bellies.

NeoTrout 01-25-2010 10:32 AM

I went to the same RD as Ron_L. Showed them my KCBS card and the access number. Got a card that says Kansas City Barbeque on the back. It took 2 min. No questions asked. :icon_cool

Spydermike72 01-25-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogsBBQ (Post 1154728)
I'm glad for everyone who didn't have problems. That's the way it should be.

I shouldn't need a copy of the Bullsheet, an iPhone, etc. to get a membership...at least not according to what KCBS has said. I agree that the issue is most likely with individual RD locations. But if I was the person at KCBS in charge of coordinating this member benefit with RD, you bet your arse I'd be on the horn with RD giving them a piece of my mind and telling them to educate their employees before more KCBS members are hassled by RD employees. I'm not the only person having this issue.

Have you contacted the KCBS office and told them about this ??

Porky 01-25-2010 01:35 PM

I had a problem down here in the Pompano RD. They told me that the info on the KCBS website was bogus and that that info came from the corporate office. I got a card on my own but it was frustrating.