The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What do you use the electric for at a comp, and how much do you need? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53388)

Babyboomerboy 12-12-2008 08:43 AM

What do you use the electric for at a comp, and how much do you need?

We are in the process of figuring out how much electricity to supply for the cookers at our comp this summer. An electrician has been giving us a lesson on how much amperage a light blub uses, an electric knife, a fan etc. What do you use the electric that is supplied at comp’s for? Have you experienced any black outs because of not having enough electricity? Do you try to hook up your RV’s with the electricity that is supplied? How have some of you coordinators handled the electric situation for the cookers and how much have you supplied for each one? Do they use every bit of what you supply them, for instance, all 15 AMP’s? Thank you

BBQchef33 12-12-2008 09:09 AM

I'll bet your gonna get 2 set of answers here.

Those that that use a few amps for lights and those that suck every amp they can get.

I fall into the second category, so i always travel with a Honda 3000 so Im not blowing circuits and shutting off gurus.

My comp trailer has a full fridge(rated 6-8 amps), electric water heater(rated 10-12), AC(rated 14), and then all the other stuff such as lighting, TV, computers. If im running everything, unless the comp can supply stable 30 amp service, I run off the generator. If its 15, I cant use it. 20 amp, I Ok. Low volts/amps wreck havoc on compressors and can kill the fridge as well as farking with peoples electronics.

I never depend on contest power anymore since loading up on stuff. When i ran just lighting and few other things it were ok.

I have been to contests where power kept tripping, everytime due to rain.

If your doing a contest with shakey power, its best to let teams know that power will be for lighting only and teams that draw heavy amps will need to supplement.

Alexa RnQ 12-12-2008 09:23 AM

We're in the first category. We draw for two fluorescent lights, and our biggest power-suck is the fan. We got a little power brick to run the Stokers, and before the Jack we bought a little Honda genny.

We don't have the problem of cookers that depend on electricity, thank goodness, but the first time we were at a comp with iffy power, we thought "Man, I'd hate to be in that boat".

Sledneck 12-12-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivaHerself (Post 799993)
We're in the first category. We draw for two fluorescent lights, and our biggest power-suck is the fan. We got a little power brick to run the Stokers, and before the Jack we bought a little Honda genny.

We don't have the problem of cookers that depend on electricity, thank goodness, but the first time we were at a comp with iffy power, we thought "Man, I'd hate to be in that boat".

A car battery?

Big George's BBQ 12-12-2008 09:59 AM

I just need it to light my canopies. I have a Guru but I only use that for a Grill Temp right now. Some day I hope to be in a position to where I need a generator for a trailer

G$ 12-12-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 799985)
I'll bet your gonna get 2 set of answers here.

Those that that use a few amps for lights and those that suck every amp they can get.

First camp. We use electricity exactly for:
  1. Running the ipod charger and radio speakers.
  2. Intermittently (rarely) Running the 35 cup coffee maker (hot water heater)
  3. When we are inclined, and remember, and are sober enough to string them, we may put up a strand or two of rope lights.
We bring a really heavy duty extension cord with a three receptacle outlet on the end. It is all we need.

Even still, unreliable electric is an annoyance.

Scottie 12-12-2008 10:10 AM

If they have 20 amp I am good to go in my RV... I also have alarms if the power gets low though... I also have my onboard Onan, but I don't like how it makes my RV feel like a vibrating bed... I just got a new Honda 6500, which I carry around for any power needs I may have and also have the Honda 3000 in reserves... I need to have my AC.... :twisted::twisted:

ique 12-12-2008 10:26 AM

2 lightbulbs and 1 electric knife.

Buster Dog BBQ 12-12-2008 10:27 AM

In Waterloo this year the power box was so overloaded it was like Clark Griswald in Christmas Vacation. The other thing that sucks is if someone unplugs or trips over your cord by accident.

Alexa RnQ 12-12-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 799996)
A car battery?

It looks almost like one, with a handle. It's a 600 watt rechargeable powerpack. Unfortunately, VQ now thinks that "rechargeable" means that it is a permanent decorative addition to the living room.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...#37;38%30_.jpg

parrothead 12-12-2008 11:00 AM

We usually have a few strings of some very low power lighting as well as at least one bright light when needed. We typically have a fan as well. We might charge a cell phone or two and will have a big coffee pot going in the morning. Pretty small load as far as we have been concerned, but I have seen some heavy duty power usage at comps including portable AC and such.

Vince RnQ 12-12-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivaHerself (Post 800067)
It looks almost like one, with a handle. It's a 600 watt rechargeable powerpack. Unfortunately, VQ now thinks that "rechargeable" means that it is a permanent decorative addition to the living room.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...AA2%38%30_.jpg

I've always had a flair for decorative style!

Sidw 12-12-2008 12:09 PM

We are amps hogs. We can get by on 20 amps - 30 amps is nice - 50 amps and we won't leave. We have an onboard generator, but would rather not use due to noise & cost.

tonto1117 12-12-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidw (Post 800151)
We are amps hogs. We can get by on 20 amps - 30 amps is nice - 50 amps and we won't leave. We have an onboard generator, but would rather not use due to noise & cost.

Lol.....same for us :)

Paola Greg 12-12-2008 02:16 PM

We prefer at least 20 amps especially in July and August when we want to run the a/c. If adequate power is not available, we've got a couple Honda 2000's we use.