The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is it wrong to rub a fatty? ..... my wife and I could not ... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18441)

Q_Egg 06-12-2006 08:09 PM

Is it wrong to rub a fatty? ..... my wife and I could not ...

... reach a logical conclusion sooooo.... Turns out that I just did not have room with my week-end bbrib and bbqbeans cook so the fatty was still in the fridge this morning. I fired up the remaning lump and put the fatty on by itself. I cooked it fairly fast and the taste is darn good. All thru the 'standalone' process, I kept wondering .... would a good pork rub on the fatty be a very good idea or get me put in Brethren jail?

One other thing led to this post ... I saw this Farmland sausage on sale a while back and grabbed several pkgs. First one on the Bandera was not that great. Solved the problem by buying some very lean local bulk sausage and mixing the two. I am still wondering if just some good rub on the Farmland would have helped much.

bbqjoe 06-12-2006 08:11 PM

The sky's the limit. Do anything you like to a fatty. ( Holding back further editorial)

nmayeux 06-12-2006 08:20 PM

Well, almost anything!;) Rubbed fatties are great!

Q_Egg 06-12-2006 08:30 PM

Now she'll have to take back some things ....

..... ( at least a couple) she said! I knew you men would stand behind me

I guess I was actually somewhat concerned about the relative high spice of most breakfast sausage and then adding even more via a good rub. On the other hand, my Spicewine rub is sugar-based and that sounded like a reasonable addition.

Kevin 06-12-2006 08:30 PM

Rubbed, stuffed, rolled in Doritoes, hell. The sky is the limit when we're talkin fatties. Give it your best shot and report back here with results.

My last cook involved fatties rolled in Doritoes and rolled in Funyums. Both turned out well by the way. Green olives and provalone are my favorite filler.

417bullelk 06-12-2006 08:40 PM

I always rub my fatties. Next I'm going to try rubbin' it and stuffin' it.

MilitantSquatter 06-12-2006 08:42 PM

I've been hit or miss using rubs... There have been a few rubs that complemented it well and others just killed it.

Personally, I prefer a plain Jones brand fatty. i figure they've been making that sausage for 100 yrs and know what they're doing... why ruin a good thing.

Now I'll just use a rub on one, if I'm cooking 2 or more for variety.

Q_Egg 06-12-2006 08:44 PM

Now your talkin' !!!

I knew I would find everything about FATTIES here that I could ever want to know.

jpw23 06-12-2006 09:14 PM

I love it when the wife and I both rub the fatty!!!!!!!

icemn62 06-12-2006 09:26 PM

I use fatties as expiermental meat. You can try new things rubs. sauces. etc, without using a lot of cash to buy meat and time to cook.

jgh1204 06-12-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpw23
I love it when the wife and I both rub the fatty!!!!!!!

Have to agree.

Q_Egg 06-12-2006 10:19 PM

Rub it, stuff it, dip it, ..... there's no end to what

... I have license to do now! .... the fatty rules!

Thanks for helping.

Bigmista 06-12-2006 11:51 PM

If your fatty is big enough you can rub it and stuff it.

I'm a bad man.

racer_81 06-13-2006 05:50 AM

Some fatties are already quite spiced.

For example, the JD Bold and Spicy seems to be overly spiced (to me) as is. I'd guess adding a rub may be too much.

Some of the blander fatties may benefit from a rub.

Bottom line - part of what makes us all unique human beings is that our taste buds are different.

Experiment man! If it turns out damned nasty, so what. You're out a few bucks and your knowledge base has grown.

And, it's okay to post in here about bbq events that just didn't turn out right.

racer_81 06-13-2006 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
If your fatty is big enough you can rub it and stuff it.

I'm a bad man.

Yep.

<Man. That water is cold. Deep too.>