Anybody using the Chicken Thighs from Restaurant Depot?

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Seemed like a good price for a 40 lb case. But I couldn't open it and tell how they looked as far as consistency.

I think the brand was Koch.

Koch? I've never seen that brand, or even heard of it, but I've never been to RD.

Are they from roosters?:roll:

The RD in Charlotte, NC doesn't carry thighs...and I was in there 2 weeks ago and they had changed from IBP pork to Prairie Fresh "minimally processed" brand. Pissed me off after I drove 1 1/2 hours to get some stuff.

that is a lot of thighs. I try to by fresh for comps. And I hate buying something I cant see.

Sorry I have never seen chicken thighs in our RD.

We don't have thighs like that at our RD, and I also use fresh, and have to see them before I buy.

I have only seen "Boneless, Skinless" chicken thighs. I bought a case for a catering gig. IT'S A LOT OF CHICKEN. AT LEAST 100 PIECES. I froze it in 10 piece packages.

Our RD doesn't stock them but the meat department manager told me he can get them any time. I've thought about it but decided against it since I have no clue what they look like.

I probably won't pull the trigger, but I kinda thought it might be worth if there are 100 thighs in there, to take all of the best and most uniform thighs, separate and vac seal/freeze them for comps(with my cooking process it really doesn't matter if its fresh or frozen) and keep the rest for home use.

Thigh meat makes a killer Jambalaya!

Koch Foods is a fairly large poultry producer. Their main fresh product goes to commercial/food service sectors, not in the Piggly-Wiggly.

I bet every RD that any of you walk in has thighs and other fresh poultry products. Hardly any of you have worked in a grocery/meat market, so you don't notice the stacks of waxed cardboard boxes in the other areas of the cooler. It's there. It's just not in those self-serve meat cases you pull the butts, briskets and ribs out of.

And no, I wouldn't buy a 40 lb box of thighs to use for competition. 1. It's a LOT of chicken. Poultry is best prepared and served 'fresh'. The USDA classifies "fresh" as never frozen.

40lb cases of frozen thighs at RD here in Whoville!

if they do have them and they are anything like the quarters, be afraid, be very afraid. sloppy cuts, skin all over the place (and not in a good way)...stuff like that. used to used it for the catering.. then got a crappy case for a good money gig. was embarrased, but had no other option due the time of the day and lunch was the next day at 11:30 delivery.. ugly yardbirds...

I understand the 40# case is "thigh meat". When I purchased one for a gathering, it was pieces with very few whole thighs. I cooked (grilled) most of it on the ranch kettle after thawing and marinading. Definately not competition worthy but good tasting.

Benny

Bought a 40 lb case of the boneless/skinless for a pulled chicken catering gig one time from RD.

Don't think the RD up this way has them. If they do, they are in the frozen section and probably by the ton!

I did get some thighs from Costco a while back. They are frozen 2to a pack IIRC. I think like 8 or 10 packs? They seemed pretty good; decent even size (kinda small, but still ok), and they looked pretty fresh. Nice white skin. They cooked up pretty nice.

wallace

Yes, We bought them and only found about 16 to 18 pieces that were large enough for a competition.

Stick with small packages is our secret. We buy 8 4-pk packages and we get one large thigh per package. Then we freeze the others for catering or vending.

Hope that Helps,

Sweet Beaver BBQ

Back