The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need Recommendations for Q in KC and STL (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253479)

WHS88 11-03-2017 05:57 PM

Need Recommendations for Q in KC and STL

Guys, I'm going to be in KC and STL for one night each over the next couple of weeks. That means one Q meal in each. Where should I go and what should I order?

Stlsportster 11-03-2017 06:09 PM

St Louis top 3 Q places are Sugarfire, Pappys and Bogarts. Any of the 3 won't steer you wrong. Sugarfire has multiple locations so it depends on where you will be.

Sugarfire has a 4 meat sampler. That's my favorite.

Enjoy!

Lomey 11-03-2017 06:18 PM

My favorite here in KC is The Woodyard then the original location Joe's Kansas City. Spare ribs, sausage, burnt ends chili, chicken and smoked ham are all great at The Woodyard. I like any of the bbq sandwiches, brisket and sausage at Joe's. Fries are awesome both places. Other sides are all good to at both places.

cfrazier77 11-03-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stlsportster (Post 3895814)
St Louis top 3 Q places are Sugarfire, Pappys and Bogarts. Any of the 3 won't steer you wrong. Sugarfire has multiple locations so it depends on where you will be.

Sugarfire has a 4 meat sampler. That's my favorite.

Enjoy!

This is THE list for St Louis, can't go wrong with any of them.

sudsandswine 11-03-2017 07:04 PM

My favorite in KC is Q39 (get the brisket platter if you go, with extra meat), but there are tons of great options. Joe's KC, Slaps, and Jack Stack are the others I frequent more often. I make it by Danny Edwards on the Boulevard from time to time, and I'll hit up Woodyard occasionally if I need wood in a pinch. Plowboys has a downtown location, though I haven't been there since I live close to their original location.

I would avoid Gates and Arthur Bryants - while they are well known and some of the older and more "traditional" KC establishments, I don't think they're particularly good, especially when compared to other options.

pmbasile06 11-03-2017 10:54 PM

Bogarts in STL is a must. Same owners as pappys with a different recipe. Pappys used to be my favorite until I had bogarts ribs. Sugar fire is also good, I liked their variety of sauces the best.

I haven’t had as much good stuff from KC as I have in STL. Been to jack stacks and Oklahoma joes. Jack stacks didn’t impress me and was a sit down restaurant that was super crowded. Oklahoma joes was better but doesn’t compare to the STL bbq I have had.

brandonh1987 11-09-2017 06:38 PM

Q39 in Kansas City for sure, it’s th locals favorite and highest rated que joint in town the last 3 years straight. Try to make a reservation or you will be waiting a while. Brisket here is superb. Ribs are outstanding. I would go pick two, brisket, ribs, fries. Maybe an appetizer of burnt ends. You are in KC after all.

Forewarned- if you order brisket at any joint other than q39, you will be getting thin sliced meat for a sandwich. The only place that serves thick juicy flat slices is q39.

Stlbbqstore 11-09-2017 10:54 PM

Q39 in KC is the Cat's Meow ! A frequent stop when in town.......Agreed on all three in STL Pappy's- Sugarfire - Bogarts. Bogarts in the Soulard area next to Farmers Market. A ton of history in this area.
-------Enjoy your trip

brandonh1987 11-18-2017 11:39 AM

So how were the joints you tried and where did you end up going??

Haole Pete 01-04-2018 09:24 PM

Based on this thread, I hit Q39 over the holidays.

My son's reaction was the best: "Why haven't we been eating like THIS all trip?"

Brisket and pork ribs were both very good, and not swimming in BBQ sauce like some other KC joints I've been to. You could taste the meat!

Even the burnt ends were closer to naked cubed point without all the extra carmelized sauce.

WHICH MADE THEM AWESOME. Fatty tasty goodness!

Thanks for the tip!

brandonh1987 01-05-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haole Pete (Post 3928069)
Based on this thread, I hit Q39 over the holidays.

My son's reaction was the best: "Why haven't we been eating like THIS all trip?"

Brisket and pork ribs were both very good, and not swimming in BBQ sauce like some other KC joints I've been to. You could taste the meat!

Even the burnt ends were closer to naked cubed point without all the extra carmelized sauce.

WHICH MADE THEM AWESOME. Fatty tasty goodness!

Thanks for the tip!

Ya the whole KC Q is loaded with sauce is just fake news. I can think of two places that do that. Everything else is typically naked with sauce on the side or just a light glaze.

tbaker30 01-18-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmbasile06 (Post 3895960)
Bogarts in STL is a must. Same owners as pappys with a different recipe. Pappys used to be my favorite until I had bogarts ribs. Sugar fire is also good, I liked their variety of sauces the best.

I haven’t had as much good stuff from KC as I have in STL. Been to jack stacks and Oklahoma joes. Jack stacks didn’t impress me and was a sit down restaurant that was super crowded. Oklahoma joes was better but doesn’t compare to the STL bbq I have had.

I will have to try Bogarts the next time I'm out there. We usually stop by Pappy's every time we are in the St. Louis area.

sudsandswine 01-18-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonh1987 (Post 3928422)
Ya the whole KC Q is loaded with sauce is just fake news. I can think of two places that do that. Everything else is typically naked with sauce on the side or just a light glaze.

Yeah, I just kinda roll my eyes any time I see someone post that :blah:. It's clear they've never eaten much if any barbecue in KC and are just regurgitating talking points, otherwise they'd know that's generally not the case. And the places that DO do that, are the places nobody who lives here go to.

Maxmbob 01-22-2018 09:24 AM

A couple of KC spots in KC are LC's (order with sauce on the side) and Slaps in Kansas City, Ks.